IGNORED

Went on a Harley demo ride this morning...

Guest Swifty

Well, Swifty, I will say it....the new bike looks great. You got the fastest color...er...colour, eh.

I hope you enjoy your new bike. Now, what are you doing with the '86 VR ???

:backinmyday:

Okay, Swifty, now that I know the facts of life:rotf:, that bike you test rode is damn ugly, you tested the SLOW colour bike, and I hope you never enjoy that bike you did not buy:cool10::rotf::cool10::rotf:

:backinmyday:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with the bike itself but more so for 'some' of the owners. They put themselves on a pedestal and think they are better than everyone else. I've been stopped at a light and a group of HD's pull up beside me and say 'Nice rice grinder', of course never alone, I would have slugged him !

I don't have a problem with the bike itself but more so for 'some' of the owners. They put themselves on a pedestal and think they are better than everyone else. I've been stopped at a light and a group of HD's pull up beside me and say 'Nice rice grinder', of course never alone, I would have slugged him !

I dont think it is just the HD owners that put them self up on that pedistal. A co-worker of mine bought one of these a few weeks ago and did a bunch of "custom" work to it (grips, seat, and hidden turn signals that you can not see inside of the rear dropouts) and he will not shut up about how awesome this thing is, after all it was only $2500. (I paid $1950 for my MKII at xmas). The co-worker is 39 and I am 19. But this thing is hilarious, It takes him (and i counted) 7 starts to finally keep it running long enough to leave the parking lot, there is welding wire still sticking out of the frame welds, and the decals are not straight plus the tank has some serious body issues that only a photo can describe. And for some reason people will drool all over that bike when it is parked in the shadow of my MKII. And I know exactly how you daughter feels, I got the how is the geriatric gold freight liner doing from that co-worker on his Dong Fang....he had more to say but he was too far behind for me to hear :cool10:

i had an 06' RSV and loved it but i now own an 09' HD ultra classic. wouldnt trade back for anything. as far as i'm concerned they both have there pros and cons. the HD just fit me better because i am kinda short in the inseam. loved them both. nice bike:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis

Harleys have not been made in the USA for quite some time now. Most of the parts are from China and many bikes are assembled in Mexico.

Not true sir.

Harleys ARE assembled in factorys in the USA, from components that are made in the USA, and other countries.

The sheet metal and paint, frames, swingarm, major engine assemblies, seats, saddlebags, etc are all made in USA.

Lots of smaller components (hardware, fasteners, and fittings), electronics, FI components, radios, and certain larger parts like the forks and brakes are sourced from the Pacific Rim, similar to many other bikes. Wheels and tires come from a variety of sources.

I am not aware of any HD's that are assembled in Mexico, although there is a Sportster factory in Brazil, to help supply the Latin American market.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Brother in law, has Three of them. Once a year or so, I down in LA, and get to take

a drive on them for an afternoon. Have been doing this for several years,

So far, I'm not even considering buying one !! They are OK, but, just too many problems!! To much noise, to much vibration, weak brakes, not enough power,

But:

They sure are pretty !!!! :whistling:

i had an 06' RSV and loved it but i now own an 09' HD ultra classic. wouldnt trade back for anything. as far as i'm concerned they both have there pros and cons. the HD just fit me better because i am kinda short in the inseam. loved them both. nice bike:cool10:

+1 on them being better for shorter guys, lower to the ground. Hey, bottom line is the LOOK really nice, have all the upgrades and modifications we all talk about. Is that their way to distract from the real HD issues? And there are a few owners that are super nice people. I do believe most of us have encountered the other side of the HD society. The ones that are so brainwashed, if HD sold cow dung, they'd buy it as long as it had the logo in it...

Just be respectful and safe when you ride, that's all...

Most people that have an opinion of a HD or any other bike never have had or rode anything but the dirt bike they had when they were kids and then in there mid-life crisis buys a bike to big for them. ,bottom line . I love the stories of the guys that have been riding for forty years. "I had a minibike when I was 10 then when I turned 50 I bought a 2000.00 touring bike, probably a 1st gen and took over the world and got an opinion about bikes I cant afford."

I have never been on a Goldwing so I have no opinion on them but they look cool

PS Dave Im going to smack the stuff out of you for this thread.:rotf:

Most people that have an opinion of a HD or any other bike never have had or rode anything but the dirt bike they had when they were kids and then in there mid-life crisis buys a bike to big for them. ,bottom line . I love the stories of the guys that have been riding for forty years. "I had a minibike when I was 10 then when I turned 50 I bought a 2000.00 touring bike, probably a 1st gen and took over the world and got an opinion about bikes I cant afford."

Eddie, my opinion is based solely on my own personal interaction with people. I ride with HOG groups and WINGs guys when it presents itself. Again, you'll find there are just some folks that just can not play nice in the sandbox, if the sandbox isn't a HD sandbox..

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest Swifty
You don't have enough class for a bike like that Dave :rotf:Tell the truth ,you took it home and it wouldnt fit in the front door. You know like that one girl.

LOL...actually I did take her home...I realized in my car on the way to the dealer that I forgot my cell phone and I figured I'd pick it up before I went too far afield on the bike...you know, just in case.

To make it clear for one and all...(you too Eddie) I had a lot of fun riding that Harley. I have a lot of fun on any Harely demo day. I have a lot of fun on any bike. I hold no ill regard for anyone who owns a Harley (Eddie), unless they ride with loud pipes (Eddie). I'm simply trying to understand what goes through someone's mind (Eddie) when they decide to purchase a Harley...and many members have contributed admirably to help me in that regard...including you (Eddie) By the way, (Eddie) I love that T-shirt I last saw you wearing...LOL.

:)

LOL...actually I did take her home...I realized in my car on the way to the dealer that I forgot my cell phone and I figured I'd pick it up before I went too far afield on the bike...you know, just in case.

To make it clear for one and all...(you too Eddie) I had a lot of fun riding that Harley. I have a lot of fun on any Harely demo day. I have a lot of fun on any bike. I hold no ill regard for anyone who owns a Harley (Eddie), unless they ride with loud pipes (Eddie). I'm simply trying to understand what goes through someone's mind (Eddie) when they decide to purchase a Harley...and many members have contributed admirably to help me in that regard...including you (Eddie) By the way, (Eddie) I love that T-shirt I last saw you wearing...LOL.

:)

Dave I will get you one , its was a 70.00 HD sweater, I see if they come in small. lol

Guest Swifty

Originally Posted by Eddie http://venturerider.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

...why can't I find the post where you wrote this, Eddie?

Never being on a Goldwing ALSO adds a lot to my understanding of....

...the truth sometimes hurts, I know.

...but, catch me if you can!

:080402gudl_prv:

Just for the record, I've ridden three Harleys, (total of a couple hours ride time) although I've never owned one, and I can afford one if I should so choose. I just could not justify it in my mind why I should pay so much more for a bike (any bike) when my first gen is IMHO a good looking, great performing, comfortable bike. I guess I'm pretty utilitarian in my views, and sure, I like the bling that a Harley would bring, but bling and the idea that somehow someone may think I'm special because I dumped the extra cash for a Harley really doesn't matter to me. In fact, it's kind of a turn off.:cool10:

I guess what it comes down to is "whatever trips your trigger"

Guest Swifty

I guess what it comes down to is "whatever trips your trigger"

Yup, and a lot of riders get tripped on black and orange T-shirts and jackets...and in the case of Eddie, sweaters.

I would much rather stay on my "deer-proof" Venture which REALLY saved my a** (and legs!) from suffering a lot of damage and a lot of $$ from needing to ride the "Orange and Black" others feel they need to ride.....

In summary,

HDs look great, sound great, are expensive but not perfect, and sometimes come with an attitude as one of many accessories, but not always. It just seems that way.

HD has new models and new technology.

Betamax was the better format for videotape.

1st gen Ventures are inexpensive, comfortable for the long haul, fast and fun through the twisties, go great with a mullet, are great bikes but not perfect.

Yamaha does not have much new, especially for touring. A cassette deck and carbs are not a betamax, but getting dangerously close.

Most important, no matter what you ride - ride. :backinmyday:

:twing:

Guest tx2sturgis

It may be time to remind others of the ACTUAL, not perceived, or imagined, or made-up flaws with the modern Twin Cam engine in the Harley Davidson FL bikes.

Here it is, and written in a manner that explains it well:

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

And a slight variation:

http://blog.jpcycles.com/2012/11/i-love-harley-davidson-but-you-must-know-this/

I've included a picture of one of those plastic cam chain tensioners that came out of my 2000 ElectraGlide, and its obvious, or SHOULD be, that the little plastic particles enter the engine's oil supply as the shoe slowly wears, and begin to do damage by 30,000-50,000 miles. Thats when its time to go in and correct the factory's mistakes. And it aint cheap.

It's even more expensive if you let the motor continue to pollute its own oil supply and finally have a major bearing failure due to blocked oil passages. And no, the oil filter cant catch all the plastic debris before some of it gets trapped in the various small oil channels.

Yes I know the newer motors have an improved design, but there is still a situation that will at some point, cause debris to shed into the oil supply.

If you only ride on weekends and holidays, it might never affect you. But if you plan to ride many thousands of miles each and every year, the TwinCam motor is not your friend.

Just my :2cents:.

Edited by tx2sturgis
added second link

2013 Ultra and Yamaha Ventures MSRP according to websites is about 1200 difference in price. 21799 for the HD, and 20590 for the S Model. So is the 1200 dollars worth having ABS, EFI etc. worth 1200 dollars. I would say yes for alot of people. Never mind all the other stuff.

Is it a crime that the HD is so high priced? I would say yes.

Is it a crime that the Venture is priced that high? Absolutely.

Whenever somebody inquires about a new venture on here, everybody always recomends buying used. Same bike but alot cheaper ( I agree with that as well). But that says something when Yamahas most loyal following recomends to not buy a new bike. If they cant make upgrades to a good product to make it even better, they have a problem. Its just a different problem.

I'm sure if you're buying used, you can find a deal on a HD just like Yamaha's. People always need money, and in HD owners case, alot of the time they need it more. More bling means deeper in the hole as far as money goes. Keep in mind the rarest HD on the road is a stock HD.

I have both bikes, so I am on both sides of the fence. For me the bike that fits me best is the HD. But thats just me, I dont expect my choice to fit everybody.......