IGNORED

Installed an LED headlight in the 1986 1st Gen

I think things have advanced a bit on the LED market. I would bet the Opt7 LED driving lights are good also. I did not pay that much for my Rigid. It was under $200.00. I have the original Dually 2×2 lights. 4 Cree in a spot pattern. The new 6 led Dually D2 are expensive. Rigid also makes a nice 3 led. Think it is the M series.

Edited by lonestarmedic

JB:

I have the same Dually lights from Rigid and have them mounted in the same place on my 1st Gen. They are awesome lights and light up the road at night like it is daylight! I have had them for for about three years and will not ride at night without using them. Well worth the money. I get a lot of comments about how bright they are in the daylight so now use them all the time, so oncoming traffic can see me. Every little bit helps to make people aware of me.

Jim

So is it safe to say installation will include removing outer fairing. that is not a big deal, I was just thinking about other things that could be done at the same time like running wires for the running/driving lights and a stereo power booster.

No, I did not remove the outer fairing at all. Windshield, Front chrome trim, Headlight surround, Headlight. Then access the instrument cluster bolts through the headlight area. Remember the speedometer cable!

JB

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded to this bulb from the 2800lm bulb available from Canadian Cruiser. I never was real happy with the old bulb as it was great on low beam but didn't get out much farther when you put it on high beam. This one, on the other hand, is a significant improvement and gets out there even better than the Silverstar Ultra that I have also used. Nice bright white light and a good pattern. If you are thinking about LED this is a very good option at a reasonable cost. I bought mine directly from Opt-7 for 55 bucks with free shipping. Installation was simple plug and play as I had already had jumpered the CMU and reserve lighting unit. I also run a set of Rigid Dually floods mounted on some custom brackets at the horn location. Since I ride to work at 4:30am each day, this combo lights up the road real well. Here is a photo of the brackets I fabbed up of 1/4x1" aluminum then polished out.

20150914_164222.jpg

I recently upgraded to this bulb from the 2800lm bulb available from Canadian Cruiser. I never was real happy with the old bulb as it was great on low beam but didn't get out much farther when you put it on high beam. This one, on the other hand, is a significant improvement and gets out there even better than the Silverstar Ultra that I have also used. Nice bright white light and a good pattern. If you are thinking about LED this is a very good option at a reasonable cost. I bought mine directly from Opt-7 for 55 bucks with free shipping. Installation was simple plug and play as I had already had jumpered the CMU and reserve lighting unit. I also run a set of Rigid Dually floods mounted on some custom brackets at the horn location. Since I ride to work at 4:30am each day, this combo lights up the road real well. Here is a photo of the brackets I fabbed up of 1/4x1" aluminum then polished out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101769[/ATTACH]

stanG -

I like your brackets. Simple and neat. As I run the Rigid Duallys we have the same lighting system. Mine inspires a lot of confidence in the dark backroads.