IGNORED

Went to an auction yesterday

Condor

Nope, didn't buy another Venture... :) But I did pick up a couple of really nice rifles. It's been years since I've even had a long gun in the house, and I used to have a bunch. Bought a Whitworth Mark X 375 H&H with scope, and a Remington 788 30/30 with scope. Both went for 25% of used retail value. When the bidding stayed that low I couldn't help myself. They were about 10 rifles in the auction and some went for double what you could have bought them for on the street. Go figure... I also picked up a couple of Burris Scopes for $50 bucks per. Another good buy. I'm a happy camper!!

Nope, didn't buy another Venture... :) But I did pick up a couple of really nice rifles. It's been years since I've even had a long gun in the house, and I used to have a bunch. Bought a Whitworth Mark X 375 H&H with scope, and a Remington 788 30/30 with scope. Both went for 25% of used retail value. When the bidding stayed that low I couldn't help myself. They were about 10 rifles in the auction and some went for double what you could have bought them for on the street. Go figure... I also picked up a couple of Burris Scopes for $50 bucks per. Another good buy. I'm a happy camper!!

Are you gonna use them to snipe on ebay?

Guest tessa c2

Well i had bad luck with my 243 yesterday, blew my barrel out:240: while i was down checking my target, a buddy took it and put my lazer bore sighter in it to see how i had my scope set,, and i had just reloaded with out checking it, i mean i had just fired 3 shots down range,

any body on here cuts barrels?:think:

Well i had bad luck with my 243 yesterday, blew my barrel out:240: while i was down checking my target, a buddy took it and put my lazer bore sighter in it to see how i had my scope set,, and i had just reloaded with out checking it, i mean i had just fired 3 shots down range,

any body on here cuts barrels?

I still don't understand what happened to your bbl.???:think:

Originally Posted by tessa c2 viewpost.gif

I still don't understand what happened to your bbl.???:think:

A laser bore sighter fits into the barrel to show exactly where the bullet will go. When it's not taken out in effect will plug the barrel. Hence the loss of end. Sorry to hear about your weapon. At least no one was hurt. Ride safe and God Bless. Mike

Originally Posted by tessa c2 viewpost.gif

A laser bore sighter fits into the barrel to show exactly where the bullet will go. When it's not taken out in effect will plug the barrel. Hence the loss of end. Sorry to hear about your weapon. At least no one was hurt. Ride safe and God Bless. Mike

Yep, know what a bore sighter is, and if that indeed is what happened, he didn't have an unlucky day, but lucky.... With the chamber pressures developed he's lucky he just split the end of the barrel. It could have been much worse...

375 H&H Magnum now there's a man's gun.

375 H&H Magnum now there's a man's gun.

I thought it would make a great varmint caliber.... POOOFFF!!

Actually there was a 219 Donaldson Wasp in pretty nice condition that went low. Just didn't want to get into reloading again.

I hear tell that them 375's have a real gentle recoil, just like a .22.

:sign20: I used to shoot a 264 WinMag, which is based on the 375H&H cartridge, and If I remember correctly :backinmyday: it got your attention when you pulled the trigger. Can we spell recoil reducer??? :rotf::rotf::whistling:

Can we spell recoil reducer???

No, but I can spell OUCH!;)

I fear this will be the word I'll be using when I eventually shoot my FR8 Spanish Mauser (.308 Nato). I bought it from a cousin after he complained about it's recoil. I feel I may need a shoulder pad that's just a bit softer than the steel one it currently has.

Ohhhh Dude, That H&H is one sweeeet down range caliber!! I load my own for the 375 H&H that my Dad passed down to me. My dad owned and deserved the Boast, "If I can see it, I can hit it". Well, if I don't hit it, I know I scared the hell out of it! I remeber one hunting trip where we didnt bring the food. That night we dined on burnt/raw bunny shreds that Dad hit with Big H (the horror). Gratz on your fine acquisition!

Sigh... Good times

Pain :7_6_3[1]:

One of my favorite rifles is a 788 Remington in 243 I can't remember seeing one in a 30-30. It is a very accurate rifle mine will shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with any amo I have ever fed it. I have taken more game with it than any other rifle I own. I hope you enjoy them both.

One of my favorite rifles is a 788 Remington in 243 I can't remember seeing one in a 30-30. It is a very accurate rifle mine will shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with any amo I have ever fed it. I have taken more game with it than any other rifle I own. I hope you enjoy them both.

LOL

mike i had to do a "google", to satisfy my curiosity.

YES the 788 30/30, was made from about 1967-to1970.

i too shoot a model 788, only mine is a "chiropractor rifle"!22-250 works great on "swolen"necks, at 100 yards!

lol

just jt:backinmyday:

LOL

mike i had to do a "google", to satisfy my curiosity.

YES the 788 30/30, was made from about 1967-to1970.

i too shoot a model 788, only mine is a "chiropractor rifle"!22-250 works great on "swolen"necks, at 100 yards!

lol

just jt:backinmyday:

I had no doubt they chambered them in 30-30 I have just not seen one. I load some 55grain nozler balistic tips in my 243 that avarage 3970 fps and they work wonders on varmints. I had a winchester model 70 with a bull barrel in a 22-250 it was not as accurate or as fast as the 243 so I traded it at a gun show for I don't remember what.

No, but I can spell OUCH!;)

I fear this will be the word I'll be using when I eventually shoot my FR8 Spanish Mauser (.308 Nato). I bought it from a cousin after he complained about it's recoil. I feel I may need a shoulder pad that's just a bit softer than the steel one it currently has.

Grins... You have a mixed cartridge there... :) It's a 7.62Nato, or 308 Winchester. Same cartridge. Actually 308 Nato will work.... :) :)

I remeber one hunting trip where we didnt bring the food. That night we dined on burnt/raw bunny shreds that Dad hit with Big H (the horror). Gratz on your fine acquisition!

Sigh... Good times

That's funny.....

This is my first 788, but from what I've read, while researching values, the 788's came with Douglas bbls, and were more accurate than the M700's. The estate has another 70 or so long guns, and I hope somewhere in the mix there's a decient varment gun. .223 maybe?? I don't know the guys name but I guess he was a hell of a competition marksman. You should have seen all the reloading equipment and components. 100's of bullet molds, primers, dies... If I were still rolling my own I would have been very interested... Can't wait until the next time...:sign woo hoo: