IGNORED

brake fluid reservoir troubles

Guest monkeyfrets

Guest monkeyfrets

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I will make it quick and painless.

I got my bike home from the shop yesterday(from which it remains with rear brake issues but I am trudging through them myself) went to add some fluid to the rear brake fluid reservoir only to run into an issue. The nipple(I'll call it that for lack of a better word) that seats the bolt on the reservoir snapped off the reservoir. If you are familiar with the rear reservoir I'm sure you know what I am describing. I've got the shop in search for a new reservoir (at no cost to me). If it happens that they cannot find one, can it be welded back on, or epoxied or liquid steeled back into place. I know it's not under pressure, but does anyone out there have any experience with this type thing?

I can get the reservoir but I have to buy the master cylinder as well and I don't want to go through that expense.

thanks in advance.

mAm:crying:

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I will make it quick and painless.

I got my bike home from the shop yesterday(from which it remains with rear brake issues but I am trudging through them myself) went to add some fluid to the rear brake fluid reservoir only to run into an issue. The nipple(I'll call it that for lack of a better word) that seats the bolt on the reservoir snapped off the reservoir. If you are familiar with the rear reservoir I'm sure you know what I am describing. I've got the shop in search for a new reservoir (at no cost to me). If it happens that they cannot find one, can it be welded back on, or epoxied or liquid steeled back into place. I know it's not under pressure, but does anyone out there have any experience with this type thing?

I can get the reservoir but I have to buy the master cylinder as well and I don't want to go through that expense.

thanks in advance.

mAm:crying:

Very common issue I'm afraid to say. They come up on e-bay often at a reasonable price. You can use the search feature on this forum and get some information on repairing your present one. It was just discussed not long ago. Someone said that they used JB Weld successfully repairing one.

Dick

Guest monkeyfrets
Here's one on Ebay right now with the master....

REAR BRAKE

I did see this one and am watching it in my e-bay right now. Am waiting to see what the shop can do. Perhaps I'll buy this one and let the shop pay for it.

thanks so much.

mAm:cool18:

I did see this one and am watching it in my e-bay right now. Am waiting to see what the shop can do. Perhaps I'll buy this one and let the shop pay for it.

thanks so much.

mAm:cool18:

You might as well pick it up. The shop isn't going to find one that quickly...unless they also see it and are bidding on it. Then you might have a problem. I'd touch bases with them to make sure you don't buck heads....

Guest monkeyfrets
You might as well pick it up. The shop isn't going to find one that quickly...unless they also see it and are bidding on it. Then you might have a problem. I'd touch bases with them to make sure you don't buck heads....

thanks.....I also have one available through another member of this site. You guys have all been so helpful.

This is an issue I'm a bit afraid to even deal with now.. I have to remove the bolt on mine soon, and was wondering if there is a good way to get the bolt out without snapping the neck off. I was thinking about trying to hold the neck with a wrench while turning the bolt... With all the stories of broken res., I'm a bit tentative until at least after the riding season..:think:

Guest monkeyfrets
This is an issue I'm a bit afraid to even deal with now.. I have to remove the bolt on mine soon, and was wondering if there is a good way to get the bolt out without snapping the neck off. I was thinking about trying to hold the neck with a wrench while turning the bolt... With all the stories of broken res., I'm a bit tentative until at least after the riding season..:think:

I read on one forum to hold the neck with a 16 mm open ended wrench while turning the bolt with the 14 mm wrench. that will neutralize the pressure on the neck.

The anti-seize idea sounds good as well, but if you only tighten the bold a smidgen past finger tight, it shouldn't have the chance to break the reservoir.

good luck,

mAm:Cool_cool36:

The anti-seize idea sounds good as well, but if you only tighten the bold a smidgen past finger tight, it shouldn't have the chance to break the reservoir.

good luck,

mAm:Cool_cool36:

I wouldn't want the anti-seize there (contamination of the brake fluid), but if you physically check the fluid level periodically, that problem should not occur & tightening until just snug, is also good.