IGNORED

Where is the Engine Temp sensor?

I have looked through the factory service manual and stared at the bike with all the trim off and I cant find it.

Where is the coolant/engine temp sensor? My gauge is jumping all over and I want to check the connections before I go out and buy a replacement sensor.

I have looked through the factory service manual and stared at the bike with all the trim off and I cant find it.

Where is the coolant/engine temp sensor? My gauge is jumping all over and I want to check the connections before I go out and buy a replacement sensor.

Look up above the valve cover, at the right front of the engine (#3 cylinder), about the same level as the bottom of the upper fairing. There is a metal housing with the temp sensor, fan switch threaded in & a ground connector between 2 hoses. Clean the ground connection too.....

:080402gudl_prv:

Look up above the valve cover, at the right front of the engine (#3 cylinder), about the same level as the bottom of the upper fairing. There is a metal housing with the temp sensor, fan switch threaded in & a ground connector between 2 hoses. Clean the ground connection too.....

:080402gudl_prv:

There is a single wire along the frame where rocket mentions it to be. I think is a butt connector, often this needs to be cleaned and squeezed a little. Actually I think it is the ground wire but sure fixed a couple of electrical problems for me.

BRad

Edited by BradT

Found it, cleaned the bullet connector and tightened it. could not find where the ground on that is without removing the fairing so I twisted a copper wire around the fan switch sensor right next to the sensor and connected the other end to the frame under the horn mount. sensor is still acting up so It's gotta be bad.

Thanks everyone for the help! I was able to troubleshoot this fast because of you guys!

There is a single wire along the frame where rocket mentions it to be. I think is a butt connector, often this needs to be cleaned and squeezed a little. Actually I think it is the ground wire but sure fixed a couple of electrical problems for me.

BRad

On the 83 it is an phillips screw, fastening a round terminal to the housing, for the ground connection.