IGNORED

Tis The Season

Guest BigJohnD

Guest BigJohnD

No...not for the jolly dude in red...what is the matter with you?

Tis the season for the chili roasters. But out here...there is nothing finer than the smell of roasting chilis. Personally, I think they should bottle that smell so you can spritz a little in your car. Dang that is good stuff.

Now I know this is a foreign concept to the folks back east. You know the ones...they break out in a sweat when they use a little black pepper. And flee in terror if someone walks a jalapeno through the dining room.

But out here...we likes our sweat makin incredible tasting Hatch chilis.

Wife and I were running some errands today and ran across a guy set up in the parking lot of a store. There is no hesitation...we were on that guy like a dog on a bone.

Two bushels of roasted chilis.

I am in heaven. The only down side is that I am the chili shucker. It might be a week or two before I can rub my eyes without blinding myself...but it is a small price to pay.

Thanks for listening...gotta finish up the last of the chili shuckin.

Guest BigJohnD
Would that be green or red?

Dude...you must be one of those back east Rednecks, not that it is a bad thing.

Just sayin...if you are from one of the 4 corner states you know it is the green chilis.

We get red ones as well...but they are dried...those you grind into chili powder or sauce.

These we got today are the green chilis...great for all kinds of stuff...including chili relenos. I like em chopped up in everything from eggs to ice cream.

Lived in Albuquerque for 10 years....you're making me homesick! You knew fall was right around the corner the first time you got a wiff of roasting chili's. We have a friend send us some every year (packed in dry ice).

When we can find up this way we buy some, but dang they're expensive here. But we get them anyway, fire up the grill, and roast away. Of course they do have a smell that somewhat similar to Willie's favorite weed and our neighbors were inclined to call the local LEOs...boy did he get a surprise when he walked around to our deck...and the neighbors were apologizing all over the place, but we haven't talked since.

Curt

Guest BigJohnD

Yup...that would be the reaction of people who have done neither.

But chilis...roasting...man what a smell.

You can do your own with jalapenos for your burger...just grill em while you cook the burger. Peel the blackened skin off and man what a flavor.

But we get a bushel or two in the fall...roasted by the dude that sells them. Pack em up in baggies and freeze them till we need some.

Sorry, I am drooling...gotta go get me some.

Just sayin...if you are from one of the 4 corner states you know it is the green chilis.

We get red ones as well...but they are dried...those you grind into chili powder or sauce.

These we got today are the green chilis...great for all kinds of stuff...including chili relenos. I like em chopped up in everything from eggs to ice cream.

I think you are smoking something to heavy BigJohn "I like em chopped up in everything from eggs to ice cream" Ice Cream ?????? You need serious help. LOL

My brother in law eat black olives and ice cream one and I never let him forget it either.

Never had a roasted chilli sounds good though. ENJOY !

Must not have to stop at Exxon for weaks,........ I am sure.

Steve

Guest BigJohnD
I think you are smoking something to heavy BigJohn "I like em chopped up in everything from eggs to ice cream" Ice Cream ?????? You need serious help. LOL

My brother in law eat black olives and ice cream one and I never let him forget it either.

Never had a roasted chilli sounds good though. ENJOY !

Must not have to stop at Exxon for weaks,........ I am sure.

Steve

Hey ya Bubber...you can try it at home...just get you some chilis at the store...put them under the broiler...turn them so they get even black on all sides. Then pull them...let them cool a bit and peel the blackened skin off. You will not believe the taste.

You can put one on yer burger...or in with yer ice cream...

I grew up in Albuquerque and have roasted and pealed many bushels of both green and red chili. believe it or not some people roast red chili maybe not you northerners.:stirthepot::rasberry:

Guest BigJohnD
I grew up in Albuquerque and have roasted and pealed many bushels of both green and red chili. believe it or not some people roast red chili maybe not you northerners.:stirthepot::rasberry:

Ah Jeez...yer one of those guys. Usually when I think of the red chilis, they are just the dried green ones you find on a string.

Ah Jeez...yer one of those guys. Usually when I think of the red chilis, they are just the dried green ones you find on a string.
We strung and dried a lot of red chili as well after we used it for Christmas decorations we ground it. Enjoy you chili roasting you are welcome to can some and send it to me I don't have time to do it anymore. The memories of peeling it rank up there with the hay and firewood business awe the good old days.

Guest BigJohnD
We strung and dried a lot of red chili as well after we used it for Christmas decorations we ground it. Enjoy you chili roasting you are welcome to can some and send it to me I don't have time to do it anymore. The memories of peeling it rank up there with the hay and firewood business awe the good old days.

Dude...yer right next door...is that a Texas flag I see. Just jump on that bike and get yer butt over to NM...I am sure they will have some for ya.

We like to peel the skin off the roasted green chilis, then lay them flat in baggies and freeze them for later.

Right now I am cooking a big pot of tomatos...later to become bsgetti sauce...freeze that up for later as well. The house is smelling great.