IGNORED

Need a little help with my other Yamaha: VStar650

Jethroish

Let me first say that I realize this forum is mainly dedicated to the Venture and Tour Deluxe.

That said, I posted on a board for VStar 650s and have not gotten any response. And with the vast knowledge here, I am hoping some one can offer some insight.

I rode the VStar 650 the other day and when coasting into the driveway (left turn), heard a clicking sound from the rear tire. I put the bike up on the lift and spun the tire. I could hear what I think is the wheel bearings rattleing, as if they are dry, but no clicking. Drove the bike around the neighborhood and never heard the clicking.

Today I rode this bike to work. Once there, I circled around the parking lot, pulled in the clutch and coasted a left turn or 2. No clicking heard.

When I returned home, and did my normal coast into the driveway, I initially heard no noise, but then leaned a little more and "click, click, click."

The final drive fluid was changed about 350 miles ago with Castrol Syntech. Rear tire was changed 2000 miles ago by a trusted dealer (known this dealer most my life and good friend of my dad's) and I was told the splines were greased.

My thought is I need to replace the rear wheel bearings and grease everything up while it is apart.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Bronson

I'm not familiar with the rear hub of the VStar but if it's the same as the Venture and the RSTD, I would still suspect the fingers in the hub. You said that it's a trusted dealer and that he greased the splines but are you and he talking about the same thing? The splines are on the drive shaft but the fingers are actually in the hub. They are very often overlooked and/or ignored by the dealers.

I would still suspect the fingers in the hub. You said that it's a trusted dealer and that he greased the splines but are you and he talking about the same thing? The splines are on the drive shaft but the fingers are actually in the hub. They are very often overlooked and/or ignored by the dealers.

Would this only be heard in a good lean? On my RSV, when the "creaking" started, it did not matter is the bike was straight up or leaning?

Taking the rear tire and hub off is not much different than the RSV. I plan to pull the tire and check for grease on the "fingers."

Thought I would post an update.

I pulled the rear wheel today and greased the splines on the shaft and greased the fingers of the final drive. When I put it back together, it looked like the final drive was ever so slightly out of alignment.

Since wife and I were out on the RSV for lunch, we stopped by local dealer to inquire about shims. Talked to a service guy and he said the only shims I would need, if any, are inside the final drive assembly, and if I need them, there is a bigger problem. He said it would probably be caused by a bad bearing.

I went home and got it all back together. The alignment is off by 1mm or less.

Rode it around the neighborhood, trying to get it leaning good. No clicking.

I will put it to a better test in a few days by riding it to town and back to see if warming up the final drive makes a difference.

hey! my wife still misses her 650 after 4 yrs. you can go to delphiforums.com and a search for v-star 650 and you should get a couple web sites for the bike. there's a lot of nice guys there that has a good knowledge on the 650. i know that there was some problems with the transmition for a couple of years. hope you find it's just not greased good, don.

you can go to delphiforums.com and a search for v-star 650 and you should get a couple web sites for the bike. there's a lot of nice guys there that has a good knowledge on the 650. i know that there was some problems with the transmition for a couple of years. hope you find it's just not greased good, don.

Been there, done that. No response to my question. That is why I asked here.

I ride the 650 at least once a week myself.

• 2 weeks later...

And the saga continues....

Still getting a clicking sound in the rear of the 650, I finally got tired of 'mickey mousing' it. I drained the final oil (which was changed less than 500 miles ago) and found metal shavings.

After taking the final drive assembly apart, I discovered the pinion end bearing is bad. It was allowing the pinion shaft to wobble.

I will be checking for parts tomorrow. Don't know if I can just get new bearings or if I will have to buy the full pinion gear assembly.

Just thought I would pass along the info.