IGNORED

Brake Fluid Sensor Warning Reset?

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my first gen Venture from my mechanic yesterday and we are both at a loss over the brake fluid warning light.

The bike was in for a rear master cylinder rebuild. The rebuild went fine with Yamaha orig parts, fluid was topped off, system "burped" or bled to make sure no air in the lines....and the sensor and warning light remain on. Front brakes also checked, good fluid levels, no air in lines.....sensor and warning light remain on. Took the bike for a test ride, brakes are great, responsive, no squishiness in rear pedal or front brake handle.

So now Im wondering....is there a reset that has to be done after the maintenance has been performed?

Paul

george0fthejungle

Firstgen VR Gold

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my first gen Venture from my mechanic yesterday and we are both at a loss over the brake fluid warning light.

The bike was in for a rear master cylinder rebuild. The rebuild went fine with Yamaha orig parts, fluid was topped off, system "burped" or bled to make sure no air in the lines....and the sensor and warning light remain on. Front brakes also checked, good fluid levels, no air in lines.....sensor and warning light remain on. Took the bike for a test ride, brakes are great, responsive, no squishiness in rear pedal or front brake handle.

So now Im wondering....is there a reset that has to be done after the maintenance has been performed?

Paul

george0fthejungle

Firstgen VR Gold

Not that I'm aware of.When I did my brakes,new pads and topped off brake fluid,warning light went out......:think:

Paul

george0fthejungle

Firstgen VR Gold

Nope, no reset at all.

3 things come to mind & remember there are sensors for both front, rear masters.....

Unplugged sensor connector

Dirty contacts at connector

Damaged wires for sensor

You can use a jumper wire, to bypass the sensor at the connectors, in order to determine which one is causing the warning. Start with the rear one, as it is along the frame, under the side cover & easy to get at. Unplug sensor wires from wiring harness, insert jumper, turn ignition on & see if the indicator goes out on the CMS unit. If needed do the same for the other sensor.

Actually there is only sensors on the front and rear brake masters, not the clutch.

You can test as Rocket has posted. It may be the float is sticking on the rear master...it slides on a post so might have some deposit buildup. Push the float down with a blunt object to see it it moves back up freely.

Did they open the reservoir?? Mine hung up because the diaphram was stuffed in it and holding the sensor in place activating the brake light. This was the beginning of one major headache.............. Good Luck with it. joe

That'd be my guess too.... I had the same problem. Solved it by taking a small wire hook and lifted on the diaphragm. Don't know if I got it completely folded back up, but moved it enough that the sensor started...er.. maybe stoped... working....

When I replace my rear master had the light come on......took a bit to figure out that it was brake and not water level. That being said I topped off the resivoir (sp) and the light went out and hasn't come back on for the past 4k miles. Hope you fix is as easy as mine was.

After a couple of you suggested the sensor hadnt been reconnected I dug out my service manual and looked it up. I described the connector to my mechanic and I could hear the circuit breaker click in his head over the phone. He forgot to reconnect it.

I could pop off the panel and reconnect it myself.....but hey, when I pay for work, I pay for it to be done right so Im going to swing by and let him. Besides...I think he disconnected my airl leveling system too. The back was already disconnected because the previous owner towed a trailor, but now nothing shows on the leveling systems display but the psi symbol and it wont activate in manual or auto mode.

I downloaded the pdf of the service manual that someone here was good enough to post on the site. Im going to give him a copy. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Paul