IGNORED

Passing through Santa Fe, NM (Need Brake Job)

petekadish

Hi Guys!

I thought that I would throw this out to you all on the chance that you might be able to help me out a little. My sweetie and I are spending tonight (Sunday) in Santa Fe on the way home to Utah after attending STAR Days in Rogers / Bentonville, Arkansas this past week (which was awesome by the way).

As we arrived in Santa Fe this evening, I noticed that my rear brakes really need to be replaced. Unfortunately (and I hate to admit this), I don't know how to do this myself yet. But, for safety's sake, I really should have them replaced pretty quickly. They are past the indicators, are making some grinding noise, and I can feel the difference between the way they usually feel and the way they feel now.

Tomorrow, we are planning on heading to Durango, Colorado, then on to Monument Valley, and then to Bryce Canyon Natl. Park before heading home to Orem, Utah. Can anyone reccomend someone along the way who might be able to do a quick, rear-brake job without taking advantage of my situation and need to have it done sooner than later? Sure, I could probably make it home okay, but I hate to take a chance right now, especially since I am riding two-up and I'm pulling a full trailer.

I figure that if anyone can offer some good ideas, you guys are the ones. I'll check for replies before I turn-in for the night in a little while and in the morning before we pack-up to head out.

Thanks!

Pete & Sandy.

To replace the rear pads on a second gen is about a 20 minute job. Remove the right saddle bag. Remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the caliper mount (#17). Remove the caliper.

Remove the 2 clips (#15). Pull the pins (#14) out. Remove the pads and insert the news one and reassemble. You'll need to spread the pads apart before puting them back on over the disc. This can be done with a large screwdriver.

Should only take a shop about 15 minutes to do and could be done right there in the parking lot

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=40215,2,0

Not major to replace pads. Really need to do it before you cause more damage.
Including to the rotor itself $$$$$$.

I'm not positive on some specifics with the 2nd gens, but I'd say you would have to unbolt the right rear saddle bag to get at the rotor & caliper. Remove rear caliper from its mount point (do not dis-connect the brake line), push the caliper pistons back into the housing, after loosening the rear master cylinder cover (allowing air & exess fuild to flow out). I normally use waterpump pliers, with a cloth between the jaw & finished surface of the caliper housing & do it with the old pads still in place. Replace the pads & start re-installing & tighten master cylinder cover.

Hey Pete,

I read your post. If it can wait until you hit Salt Lake City, there is an excellent mechanic not far off the beaten track in Salt Lake. Actually he is in West Valley City, but thats just part of the suburban sprawl around SLC.

The name of the place is

4 Seasons Cycle

1812 W 3500 S West Valley City, UT

Tel. 801-886-1982

The owners name is Bill. If it can wait till you get to SLC, tell him Paul referred you, he is rebuilding the master cylinder on my 83 Venture Royale right now.

He is a very decent guy and also very honest.

Best of luck to you

Paul

Several years ago a friend of mind bought a new Royal Star in Santa Fe and the dealer there always treated him very good.

Santa Fe Motor Sports

2594 Camino Entrada

Santa Fe, NM 87507

(505) 438-1888

Good luck, hope this helps.

Hey, Pete - I am no mechanic - but reading Buddy's post - brought back memories of earlier this year when one of my buddies and myself replaced the rear pads. I was on a ride - and all of a sudden had no rear brakes. That is very scary - and I was one up - not pulling a trailer. I ended up having to replace pads AND rotor. Buddy was spot on - it was fairly easy, and it didn't take too long. I wouldn't wait - try and do something ASAP - it might save some money and headaches in the long run.

Pete,

I'm in Albuquerque. The bike shops are closed today but if they are really bad give me a call, ride down this morning and we will take the pads off of mine and put them on your's. Not a big deal at all. mine are not in great shape but they would get you home.

Gary 505-344-2469

I'd be more than happy to help you with your brakes. If you wanted to head this way, Colorado Springs area. I realize though that you were planning on going through the other side of Colorado. Just call if you come this way.

Tim

719 201-6006

Wow ! I'm not surprised, but I am really touched by all of your offes to help us out(especially your's Tim - take off your own brakes - you are are good man!).

I called ahead to Durango, Colorado to the local dealer there, and they are going to throw on brakes all around for us this afternoon when we arrive. On the way there, I'll just ride it easy and carefully. Things will work out - they always do.

Once again, thanks! You guys always step-up. You're awesome!

I'll check back in this evening if we have an internet connection at the Durango KOA.

Pete & Sandy.

This morning (before hitting the road from Santa Fe), I called Handlebar Motorsports in Durango, CO and asked them if they could work me in for a rear brake job late this afternoon. They said that they could, and at 4:00 PM I pulled in and they had me all taken care of in about forty-five minutes. Nice guys there - even though they have have only sold one Venture in the last seven years. I guess that everyone around here rides Harleys.

Tomorrow morning, we're off to Mesa Verde Natl. Park, Cortez, Monument Valley and then to Bryce Canyon, where we'll spend the night before heading home to Orem, UT. Before we leave Durango, we want to stop and see the famous Silverton Train. This evening, we're spending the night at the Durango KOA.

Lastly ..., Does anyone have any last minute tips to offer us on "can't miss" places along our way. Unfortunately, we're under a bit of a time squeeze and don't have much time to spend at any one place, but we'll do what we can. So much to see and do, and so little time.

Thanks again everyone!

Pete & Sandy.