WEll i need some help

i have a 87 venture

3 clutches

in 6 months work well in the beginning

just cant figure it out--barnett clutches

barnett spring-- im just lost??????

TIPS ANYONE??

:confused24:

I'm interested in this thread too. Last one lasted 30,000 miles before slipping began again.

Jake, in your message above, when you write Barnett spring/clutches...are you asking if, or are you saying that you've had this experience with Barnett's products?

Jake,

Some of the guys here have had trouble with the clutch slave cylinder not releasing all the way due to crud in there. Your clutch may be good but slightly engaged causing slippage. You might want to remove the slave and clean it out,check the seals and then flush with new brake fluid and bleed.

Just my 2cents. :080402gudl_prv:

My first thought when I read this was a healthy cleaning & bleeding of the hydraulic system too. If it's not fresh you may be getting a bit of friction without being aware of it. I just got an 84 and the guy I bought it from was sure the whole clutch & possibly the tranny was shot. A thorough clean & bleed and everything was fine - didn't even need to change plates! The crud that came out of it was really bad though! If you haven't done that as a part of your clutch changes, it'd probably be a good idea.

I just got an 84 and the guy I bought it from was sure the whole clutch & possibly the tranny was shot. A thorough clean & bleed and everything was fine - didn't even need to change plates! The crud that came out of it was really bad though!

Same thing on the second '83 I bought. No clutch...no brakes. Bled them and the stuff that came out looked like Kayo Surup. You sure can drive a hard bargain when you run into one like that.....:cool10:

Other thought would be what type of oil are you using in the bike. Make sure you are not using a automotive oil that has friction modifiers in it as that will cause the clutch to start slipping also. There is a lot of treads on here about different oils and which ones people use. That is just a thought that I first had, but cleaning out the hyd system for the clutch makes sense too. Rick Fink

I had exactly that same thing going on with my 84 Royale.. Went thru several clutches with it - course,, I didnt ride like a sane person either..

Anyway, my "NEW" 83 began acting up right away as soon as I got her on the road. I had done all the previously mentioned maintenance and had done so on my 84, didnt help..

I decided that I was going to fix this sucker come heck or high water.. I read somewhere about weak springs on the pressure plate of our scoots.. Pulled the side cover, pulled a plate spring, started pickin thru my supply of springs (been a biker both dirt and street for years - got tons of old bike parts at my disposal).. ANyway, found some old springs that measured up off a 92 KDX200. Measured the spring strength and the KDX's were WAY stiffer.. Stuck em in and guess what - NO slippage at ANY R range in ANY gear.. WORKS AWESOME!!!!!!

'Puc