IGNORED

Garmin or TomTom

Marcarl

I'm not looking for a can of worms, but need the opinion of the people that know.

I can buy a Garmin Zumo 450, for the same price as a TomTom Rider 2nd edition. I need to know the advantages and shortcomings if anyone has that info.

I may go to a Zumo 550, but it seems to me that the TomTom has it all covered.

Thanks Carl

Guest Dandy1

My TomTom 2 has been great. The service has always been great until I had to send mine in this last time because because it would not charge while on the bike. It worked just fine in the car. So I called them and they sent me a new Bike mount which did not help so I sent them the unit and they sent me back a brand new one. The only thing is they forgot to send me my SD card back and the unit is pretty much usless without it. I have been waiting 2 week now for the SD card. They say fedex has it and fedex says TomTom never had them pick it up for delivery. Until now I have been really happy with it but I'm fading fast! If I had it all to do over again I would probably go with the garmin.

As you know, I have the Zumo 550. I think the only differences between the 450 and 550 is the bluetooth capability, and the TTS voices. The TTS voices let the unit actually speak the street names, so instead of "Turn right in 300 metres" "Turn right, in 300 metres, on Elm Street" The reason I would reccomend Garmin, is the customer service. I had an issue with my cradle, and they sent me a new one right away, no hasssles. There is also a very big zumo group on the web you can check out reviews at www.zumoforums.com . If you do get the Zumo, I would be happy to come by and help you wire it in, I might even be able to help you solder it!!! :banana:(inside joke) Hope to see you soon buddy!

Sonny

:63:

Let's see Garmin or Zumo????

Make mine Lowrance.... Not sure what your paying but I picked up my Lowrance iWay 600c brand new on ebay for $350 shipped... No SD card needed it has a 20 gig Hard Drive with all the maps already there.. You can even use it in your boat... Plus it has 5 gigs for Music with a built in mp3 player and FM broadcast... It's water resistant and has one of the biggest screen.

http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/19_4_19_13_758741s/Lowrance_iWAY_600C.jpeg

Guest BluesLover
Let's see Garmin or Zumo????

Make mine Lowrance.... Not sure what your paying but I picked up my Lowrance iWay 600c brand new on ebay for $350 shipped... No SD card needed it has a 20 gig Hard Drive with all the maps already there.. You can even use it in your boat... Plus it has 5 gigs for Music with a built in mp3 player and FM broadcast... It's water resistant and has one of the biggest screen.

http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/19_4_19_13_758741s/Lowrance_iWAY_600C.jpeg

I am 1000% with you!

I've had the 500C for 2+ years and over 50,000 kms, almost all exclusively on the bike. Vibrations don't seem to affect it, although earlier this year, after running in the rain for a whole weekend, it bit the bullet ... but, for $100, I was able to get a brand new one to replace it.

Cheers,

Well.ya know......I got this cool thing called A MAPBOOK (ever hear of one?). Never let me down yet. Didnt pay no $350 or $500 or whatever. Paid a whopping $8.99:mo money:. Used it to go cross country and back. No issues with charging or vibration. Just a good old school mapbook. :rotfl:

Well.ya know......I got this cool thing called A MAPBOOK (ever hear of one?). Never let me down yet. Didnt pay no $350 or $500 or whatever. Paid a whopping $8.99:mo money:. Used it to go cross country and back. No issues with charging or vibration. Just a good old school mapbook. :rotfl:

WOW!! You're my idol

I got one too and I swear by it lets you pick your own route too. got mine at cosco 6.99:thumbsup:

I got one too and I swear by it lets you pick your own route too. got mine at cosco 6.99:thumbsup:

Tres kewl but try your 'map book' while making the passage through Montreal at rush hour on your way through QC and see how well that works for you.. I swear, you make the wrong turn or pick the wrong lane at the wrong time and you're now hours trying to make it back, and worse if going through there during a storm..

With the Garmin 450 on the bike, it'll tell you which lanes to stay in for how long.. as on that route you need to exit left or right depending where you're going.

A map book is a great tool no doubt.. but I find it handier to listen to the lady tell me where to go safely than trying to read a map book while cagers are trying to run me over..

But that's just me.. ; )

You're right though, for 90% of the time, an old fashion analog page flipping map book will suffiice.. but it's them 10 % of the time I appreciate my GPS on the bike.

The real reason for this change of heart is that my family decided that at 60, I might need a little help on the road, and what else do you get for a guy that has everything, so they got together and bought a GPS, but it is a Nuvi 250, which is not really good for a bike application and doesn't have all of what it takes. So I was on the search for what I should do and get.

Thanks for all your help.

Found a Lowrance XOG demo at Radio World, Toronto for $219.00 that has it all and then some, I know it's not a Garmin but then I really can't seem to spend $700.00 on something as fervilous as a GPS. A map book has worked just fine until now, and even gives one a reason to get off the seat a little more often to take a look at where we were, are, and might be going. It's also better for the cigarette manufacturers. As far as going through Montreal at the best of times??????? that ain't-a-going to happen, even Toronto or Hamilton get a pass when I'm on the scoot. If those folks need a visit, my door is always open and it's much more relaxed here than there, and then there's always the Saab. I mean if you can't ride for some reason, then a Saab is the way to go............

Crossover Road-Trail-Water GPS Navigation

Taking a new direction in precision, all-purpose navigation, the innovative new Lowrance XOG cross-navigation, 12-channel GPS features ready-to-go street navigation and loads of optional outdoor maps. Rugged, weatherproof, fully portable and super-accurate with multimedia extras, the new XOG is the one-for-all companion for all your travels. Inside the car, on the trail, or in the boat!

• Bright 3.5" (8.9 cm) diagonal 16-bit color TFT touch-screen display
  • 320H x 240V resolution
  • Digital media card slot for loading mapping data, MP3 files, JPEG photos and customizable skins with an SD/MMC memory card
  • Unique, downloadable maps with U.S. satellite and aerial imagery, enhanced USGS topographic data, and BLM mapping from online mapstore
  • Straight-line navigation feature for off-road, on-foot and marine use
  • Turn-by-turn audio and visual navigation with auto-zooming and automatic recalculation of directions
  • MP3 audio player and JPEG picture viewer
  • Operates on internal lithium ion rechargeable battery

Again, Thanks for all the input and info

Carl

All kidding aside... GPS has made my job so much easier it's paid for itself... I had 196 Exxon stations with ATMs to reprogram in Houston, Dal-FW, Austin, and San Antonio... If I had to rely on maps I'd still be in TX.... Then I had 96 CVS stores in Balt. and DC which would have been a horror show on my RSV pulling a trailer.. Now my mp3 player is messed up and my iway 600 replaces that nicely..

I used to think so too about 10 years ago before I got my first gps. But when I realized that with a gps I can just go whichever way the wind blows and then just push"go Home" without having to worry about being lost, that's when I realy started to "enjoy the ride and smell the roses".

I used to think so too about 10 years ago before I got my first gps. But when I realized that with a gps I can just go whichever way the wind blows and then just push"go Home" without having to worry about being lost, that's when I realy started to "enjoy the ride and smell the roses".

Thats totally cool. Folks wanna use them, more power to ya. Is it really being "lost". I always called it "The Scenic Route" LOL

My wife got one of the Tom Tom GPS as a gift from me last Xmas. I paid $99 and I've used it several times though not yet on the bike. I most appreciate it in heavy traffic or finding a street address. Approaching a Interstate on ramp I have sufficent time to change lanes and I feel much safer. I bought some parts from the Atlant Dragon Slayer and it took me directly to his humble abode. I son-in-law serves warrants for the

:cop:

local sheriff's department and it has saved him much time and the county alot of gas money. I thought I would try it on the bike and stow it away if it looks like rain.

:250:

Has anyone used a car model on their Bike? Ronnie

I have been using a TomTom Rider2 for about 4 months and have no problems with it. I went with the TomTom primarily because I have been using one in my car for a couple years and was very satisfied with it. As others have already mentioned one of the primary benefits of the GPS is the routing through unfamiliar areas and re-routing around roadblocks. The map book is always helpful for planning the route but the GPS is great for the actual ride. One benefit I found recently when riding the twisties in WVa was that the GPS gave a good indication about the upcoming turns. Of course it also helps finding restaurants, gas and other 'points of interests'. The actual choice of a unit is probably just a matter of personal preference, but I find a GPS very helpful.

Tombo

Ride on....:322: