IGNORED

electrical issues

In the last couple of days Ive noticed that my headlight warning light, highbeam indicator light plus my engine temp indicator have all quit on my 85 1st gen. I havnt had a chance to look at the ride yet to try to diagnose, but are these all on the same fuse? Or is it a sign my instrument cluster is headed south on me? I would like to get a few ideas so when I get time I can try them out and see what works.

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate the shared wisdom.

Brian

The items you quote are powered from the " Signal " fuse:

Are your turn signals, and Hazard lights, and tach and volt meter working?

They are also powered off this fuse:

If its only the lights in The Dash assembly that are not working, I would suggest starting by removeing the headlight, reaching up behind the Instrumtment cluster, and removeing the Cable Plugs from that unit, and Cleaning the Pins with an Electrical contact cleaner. ( Radio shack has some, or CRC 2-26, electrical dept. at Lowes or Home Depot )

The items you quote are powered from the " Signal " fuse:

Are your turn signals, and Hazard lights, and tach and volt meter working?

They are also powered off this fuse:

If its only the lights in The Dash assembly that are not working, I would suggest starting by removeing the headlight, reaching up behind the Instrumtment cluster, and removeing the Cable Plugs from that unit, and Cleaning the Pins with an Electrical contact cleaner. ( Radio shack has some, or CRC 2-26, electrical dept. at Lowes or Home Depot )

I have dashlights, signal lights and voltmeter and they do seem to work properly, but the hibeam indicator, engine heat indicator and headlight warning light are out. If it was all on one side of the cluster, i would have thought it was an electical board , but with it kinda hit and miss on the panel, I am not sure.

Brian

I have dashlights, signal lights and voltmeter and they do seem to work properly, but the hibeam indicator, engine heat indicator and headlight warning light are out. If it was all on one side of the cluster, i would have thought it was an electical board , but with it kinda hit and miss on the panel, I am not sure.

Brian

I noticed your temp guage was reading low (but not sitting on the peg), maybe cleaning the connection to the sensor will help. Also check the coolant level, you may be low, the sensor needs to be in coolant to function properly.

I noticed your temp guage was reading low (but not sitting on the peg), maybe cleaning the connection to the sensor will help. Also check the coolant level, you may be low, the sensor needs to be in coolant to function properly.

Hey Rocket! good to see youre back home safe. thanks for stopping by and making the pizza run out to Regina Beach with me.

I have checked coolant and it is full, but I will check the contacts as soon as I get time, (Prolly tomorrow).

Brian

Well, If you have a Service Manual, See: Page 7-1 a good place to start:

( if not, you can download the manual in the 1st Gen Maint Library, on this web site )

--- Start at the Signal Fuse, Note all the items powered from this fuse:

--- If---- the items you quoted are indeed the ONLY items not functioning. then most likley there is a Ground Return problem , INSIDE of the Instrument Cluster.

I have had One of these Units opened up for maintenance. Dureing that escapade, I took note of the fact, that The " Ground Return s" for All of the Many electical items Inside of this Inst. Cluster are spliced together, then go Out thru One pin, on the Main plug to Get a Ground.

How are all these black wires connected to the One Pin, above mentioned ??

They are Spliced together, and there are about 7 or 8 splices, from various components, that end up at the ONE pin comeing out of the cluster, on the main Plug.

So, the bad News is, If you don't find something else wrong that I am missing---

You most likley will have to remove the Windshield, to remove the Instrument Cluster, the Open it up, and find the trouble. ( probably one bad Splice )

--- Black Wires inside the cluster, are all ground returns ----

Sorry, Best I can do from Seattle !!! Good Luck

Greetings...

Yep! Just tin them all back together (the black wires mentioned above)

Another common problem, is broken solder traces on the Computer board in the dash.

Try the "cleaning the connectors" and all around un****ing the thing 1st - of course - that's the simplest. The wires often are pulled tight - messing with your WA...

If that don't fix it - re-soldering the board in the dash isn't difficult at all - if you are competent with a hot iron.

If you do have to do 'it' - and your eyes are no longer microscopes - then get a good magnifying glass/light combo and a good fast soldering pencil and heatsink. (you really DON'T want to melt the board!).

Pull the dash-panel/ instrument cluster - Not difficult. take off the computer panel (the thing in the center) and basicly - resolder any broken (very common problem!) solder points. Just touch the tip to the old solder and let the flow - well, flow...

There's a writeup with very good pictures, either around here or on that other Pay Venture site - (Venturers.org) tech database, about it (don't have to be a member to access the database - but the drunk chicks at the late night bars really dig the patch and pin!! Besides - you save the cost on the 1st hotel room you take those drunk chicks to...:stirthepot:)

A new (to you anyway!) Dash for your year range - Ebay - about $100+ And you might have to do it to it - anyway...

If that don't fix it - re-soldering the board in the dash isn't difficult at all - if you are competent with a hot iron.

There's a writeup with very good pictures, either around here or on that other Pay Venture site - (Venturers.org) tech database, about it (don't have to be a member to access the database -

I saved the info on the CMS Fix as a PDF, it is in this thread....... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=220464#post220464

Now I have a good idea of what to look for. I hope to get a look at it tomorrow if the weather is better. My garage is too small to work in, The parking lot works better. lol

Thanks again for the input and wisdom!

Brian:cool10::cool10: