IGNORED

Problems with Pages Loading?

V7Goose

I have had an on-going problem on our site with many pages not fully loading. The symptom is seen in several ways - sometimes the "time line" on the bottom of the browser gets almost to the end, then just sits there forever. Sometimes the status on the bottom actually changes to "Done", but the page below the header stays blank gray. In either of these situations, re-clicking on the link I used does absolutely nothing, but clicking on the refresh button almost always causes the page I was trying to get to to load properly. There does not seem to be any connection with what I was attempting to do - sometimes it is doing a search, sometimes trying to pull up a new thread, sometimes just going to the next page in a thread, and sometimes attempting to make a reply. This problem is not a slow response issue, as the page never finishes loading unless I hit refresh.

This seems to have been going on since the last time Don made some fixes after the hosting change, and it ONLY happens to me on this site - never browsing anywhere else. I use XP and IE7. I turned off the Phishing filter in IE7, but it made no difference. The frequency is quite high and may be getting worse - seems like about 1 in 10 page requests on average, but I haven't actually tried to count them yet. I assumed for a long time it was wither my ISP, just normal Internet hiccups, or even my home network, but now I am sure it is specific to our site.

Has anyone else been experiencing something like this? :puzzled:

Goose

Sorry to hear it. I have had absolutely zero problems since that one day early last week. I made some changes to the site and server after than and have had no issues at all. The server log is also showing no errors of any kind since then.

I use Firefox and haven't tried it with IE but will do so tonight when I am checked into yet another hotel.

Even tho it is only on our site as far as I can tell, if no one else is experiencing the problems, then I will have to look closer on this end.

BTW - I am also getting a lot of errors on page loading, even when the pages seem to come up OK (message !Done, but with errors on page).

Goose

Well, I'll continue testing tonight but I am now sitting in from of a small diner where I just had lunch and they have free WIFI. I am using IE7 and even have the advanced property "display a notification about every script error" checked. I've clicked on several things including "Today's Posts", "New Posts" and also just clcking on about 20 random posts and so far, I've had no problem with pages not loading and have gotten no errors about "loaded with errors" or any others.

Since ive totally updated all availble plugins and hotfixes for Vista on my new toshiba laptop the issues with IE7 loading webpages have totally gone away. Before the updates pages would hang and only load halfway before having to reload.

Anyway try doing your microsoft updates, it helped me out.

PS ive just remembered that I get similar errors when I try to view ventureriders while I am working on my w2k3 server. IE7 has trouble loading certain things and I get errors even when the page looks like it loads correctly, plus it never remembers my login, BUT I have the security tightened up on the server and dont allow java script to run on it so thats what I am expecting on that machine. Perhaps Goose's issues are with his settings not the site. I would suggest he download Firefox and see what happens.

Brian

Edited by friesman

No problems from here (S Texas). Symptoms sound like waiting for dropped/missing packets. I get that from time to time, but usually it is local and affects all websites. Once in a while I have trouble routing one direction, but things are fine in another direction (e.g.; routes to west coast servers may drop packets while routes to the east are fine).

I help out some on another website. A good number of incoming complaints involve IE7 and can't be duplicated in other browsers. Thank goodness I run Linux and FF. I don't have to trouble shoot those problems!