IGNORED

Off to Glacier

chocking

Hi,

Well I'm leaving Sunday AM for my solo trip across MN, ND and Montana on Hwy 2 to Glacier NP, then down to Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, back thru Devils Tower, the Black Hills and thru SD back to home in Wisconsin 3 weeks later. Camping most of the way except for a 4 day stop at my best friend's place in Great Falls, MT.

I am way pumped for this trip..:thumbsup2: old 83 is primed and ready to roll....:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

From what I see on the Glacier website, the Road to the sun is STILL not open all the way through... Anyone who lives in those areas got any great side trips.... I've got the time...

Clay

Trust me on this...you want to ride the Going To The Sun road from west to east! That puts you on the "drop-off" side. And if they have it stopped for construction, ask if they have the "Motorcycles Move To The Front Of The Line" rule! Worked for me!

Hey Chocking,

Still a little early for that area sometimes but the bears are out. Be sure to take some bear spray with you and hang your food. Hope you have a wonderful trip and wish I could go with you.

I'll be riding on the Legacy Run in August out to Phoenix. After the convention, I'm going alone and do some camping too. Plan is to take the coast up from San Diego to Seattle, then across to Glacier Park and Browning, Medicine Wheel in Wyoming and the Black Hills SD and down to Texas with a short trip into Mexico. Looking at about 4 weeks to do it.

I'll hit some of the National Parks too, but I got to Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, Sequoia, Joshua Tree, King's Canyon, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Theodore Roosevelt N.P. in 2005 and 2006. I'll only do the ones I missed so far this decade.

Enjoy, keep the dirty side down and don't be lunch. :080402gudl_prv:

When I hit the 'Going to the Sun Road' I like to go from west Glacier up to Logan Pass and then turn around and head back down the way I came.

Just up the hill east of West Glacier on Highway 2, make sure to stop at the 'Halfway House' and have their fried chicken. It's just a very small cafe on the north side of the highway about a mile west of Essex.

Well, you went and ruined my day!!!!:( I am so damn jealous!!!! Did more or less that a few years back - sure enjoyed it!

Have a great trip and watch for bison in yellowstone - they march in a heard right down the road, some are pretty cranky and don't like it if you stare them in the eye.

Just make sure you take lots of photos for future posting. When drivig through Montana and such watch out for on-going rodeos they can fill up every motel for 200 miles. I got stuck in a WallMart parking lot that way with about a hundred other dead tired people.:backinmyday:

Boy, that sounds like a great ride!

We are about 90 miles north of Rugby ND, so dont forget to wave as you drive by! The little restraunt on the south side of highway 2 (corner of Highway 3 and 2) at Rugby is a good spot to eat. Its the geographical center of Norht America. You cant miss it.

If you need help anywhere in this area give us a call as I have 3 full days off before we leave for Kitchner. 204-726-8818, 204-573-8436

Another thing.....judging by where you are leaving from and going to, you may try and drive in the later evening and end up near Devils Lake later in the day.

Don't! The deer are killers along highway 2 in the early morning and evenings (dusk).

It may be a bit late to make this suggestion, but if you're in Montana and going to Yellowstone you really need to ride 212 out of Red Lodge into the north east corner of Yellowstone. That's the Beartooth Pass. If I'm coming within three states I plan on riding the Beartooth. I also like the Chief Joseph. It goes from 212 near Yellowstone into Cody. Not as dramatic as the Beartooth, but a nice ride none the less.

I've attached an inspirational image from Google Earth that may explain why I feel this way.

Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions. I absolutely am planning on the Beartooth. From everything I have heard it is dramatic. The Chief Joseph is also on my list... So much to see and do... Being a teacher, I have the summer off..... but usually work at something else anyway. ......This summer I said the heck with it. Time for a GREAT trip. The irony of it is that I Hate heights,....:doh: :confused24:but am going to certainly experience some real "straight downs" and edges... I refuse to let fear of that spoil such great Vistas.... I did Pikes Peak a few years back and that was a bit spooky......I am however planning on the east to west route of Road to the Sun ( staying on the mountain side..... although that is not even completely open yet according to the USNPS website... The big drift is still not plowed out and the 29 mile middle section at Logan pass is not open.

The bike is just about packed.. backpacking tent, bag, pad, clothes and the necessary items... ( BEAR SPRAY)... 2 more days... The anticipation is intense.. Can't wait... I'll keep an eye out for all those killer deer on hwy 2.....:fingers-crossed-emo

If I ever figure out how to post photos on here, I'll post some upon return.

Clay