IGNORED

Have you replace a coil on your RSV?

Last week, I replace a bad coil on my RSV. It was the right rear (number 3) coil. I was talking to a couple of other RSV owners today and they commented that everybody they know who has had to replace a coil it has been the number 3 coil.

If you have replace a coil, which one was it that was bad? I'm just wondering if there is a pattern here and if so, why the number 3 is going bad.

Guest Nightrider1300

My 06 is in the shop right now with the same thing guess i will know tomorrow about the warranty situation

Mine just quit.. I was obviously running on 3 cylinders... I brought it to a Houston independent shop to have the plugs changed... which they did but it still was running on 3... they checked it out and the #3 coil was bad... they called Yamaha but it was backordered but they had a V-Star they were junking and they charged me $25 for the used coil... If I knew it was the coil I coulda had it replaced under warranty but the backorder would have messed up my ride home.. It went on me after 4 weeks in TX.

I really wish I had a good answer for you. There is a procedure in the service manual for testing the resistance of the primary and secondary sides. The procedure is incorrect for the secondary side as it says to read resistance from the plug wire to the center core and that will always read open. You have to read from the plug wire to one of the posts on the primary side.

That being said, the one that I just replaced reads fine when I check it that way. It also appeared to be fine when I checked the fuel mixture using my Colortune. It was apparently breaking down under load though.

So....I honestly don't know of a reliable way to test them. Maybe somebody else will have some input.

Last week, I replace a bad coil on my RSV. It was the right rear (number 3) coil. I was talking to a couple of other RSV owners today and they commented that everybody they know who has had to replace a coil it has been the number 3 coil.

I thought you said in the thread about main jets that you would consider it but that all was running so good right now?! Sounds like a missed oportunity for scientific research.:whistling:

• 10 months later...

Had both rear coils bad in my 07, dealer replaced both and told me that they were new numbers so that it was most likely a upgraded part. Bike ran great and 2 weeks and 1500 miles later the left rear goes out again. I hope that this is not going to become an ongoing problem. If I had wanted to spend this much time figuring out alternative transportaion I could have bought the "Other" brand. Really beginning to wonder if this bike can be trusted.

Well believe it or not, it really wasn't the performance but the fuel mileage. I went from near 40 MPH to down around 32 MPG. Driving normal, it ran fine. I did find though that when I hammered it, it just didn't have the power that it did before.

My 2005 since I haved owned it seems to have to much loping even with the rps's high. 80 in 5th gear and it still has some lack of power and viabration. I don't think my 99 was this way. ( its been a while since I had the 99 ).

I pulled the plugs when I got the 05 and they looked Ok. I replaced them then but it didn't make a difference on the running.

Having the hack on doesn't help my gas mileage. around 32 mpg.

I might try replacing the coils. ( got a set off of ebay) to see if there is a difference.

Isn't it nice to have 4 big pistons working for you?

As an aside, on a 650 Triumph I once lost a coil riding accross Oklahoma to Missouri with the nearest dealer about 150 miles away in Joplin. Riding on 1 piston was terrible. I had a bright idea, and pulled the spark plug from the piston that wasn't getting spark. That saved power needed on the compression strokes and stopped that side from sucking unneeded gas thru the carburator. It ran somewhat better, about 50 mph If I remember right.

The dealer in Joplin didn't have a Lucas coil for my bike. But in rummaging around his junk pile found a Suzuki coil of about the right size and voltage. I ran on the Suzuki coil until I stopped riding that Triumph several years later.

I really wish I had a good answer for you. There is a procedure in the service manual for testing the resistance of the primary and secondary sides. The procedure is incorrect for the secondary side as it says to read resistance from the plug wire to the center core and that will always read open. You have to read from the plug wire to one of the posts on the primary side.

That being said, the one that I just replaced reads fine when I check it that way. It also appeared to be fine when I checked the fuel mixture using my Colortune. It was apparently breaking down under load though.

So....I honestly don't know of a reliable way to test them. Maybe somebody else will have some input.

Don,

I used to work on cars for a living. If bike coils are the same, which i'm sure they are, then a coil can read good while checking it cold. However after running it up to temp. it may then start to give faulty readings, as the heat causes the internal wiring to heat up and creates more resistance. I recommend that if you suspect a faulty coil, bring it to opperating temp. and then check it. Hope this helps. Also if anyone knows something I don't please share!!!

Big Mike :thumbsup2:

I wonder if I have a coil problem. When I first start my bike the left pipe sounds fine but the right pipe sounds like a cylinder is skipping and I've noticed my bike doesn't have the power it used to have.

Is the #3 coil different from rest? Any one know why it seems to be just this one? I'm like

Ediddy,I,ve noticed a different sound from the right side compared to the left.I have a 2007 RSV.By the description every one is giving,it's hard to tell for sure if you have a

problem.

Is the #3 coil different from rest? Any one know why it seems to be just this one? I'm like

Ediddy,I,ve noticed a different sound from the right side compared to the left.I have a 2007 RSV.By the description every one is giving,it's hard to tell for sure if you have a

problem.

I Know for sure each coil has mold in plug wire, so I guess is all about wire length. I would say coils are same. As Big Mike said it has to do with engine heat, but, rear left coil is just next to. so i dont know could be a woodoo magic :bang head:.

I guess this all means that " IF " I buy a 2nd gen bike, I should Immediatly order a new #3 coil, and carry it as a spare ? ( and an ignition switch )

Maby just find a place to mount it, and wire it up to make a quick swap of the wireing in the middle of Nevada, on highway 50

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old, but relevant thread in search of an answer. 2006 2nd Gen. 67000 miles. Been riding on 3 cylinders for about a month (began coincidentally while at Maintenance Day). Mileage went down the toilet and top end power was lousy. Smelled gas all the time. Muffinman helped me a few weeks ago with a color tune (and air filters, radiator flush, oil change, clutch disk change) and we discovered left rear cylinder had no spark. Ordered a new coil which arrived yesterday. Installed it today, and it sparks, but as the engine warms up, there is a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust at the connection about 3 inches from the cylinder where the first clamp attaches. Smells a little like melting rubber or plastic. No obvious wires or tubes resting on the pipes. Afraid something is going to catch fire.

Anyone experience this before? Thought maybe a month of unburned fuel/air mixture in the pipes might need to burn off or something, is this normal? Is there a danger of fuel residue in the first few inches of the exhaust catching fire? I'm nervous about riding it.

Thanks

David