IGNORED

Hit & run, The Plot Thickens

Venturous Randy

Randy you will have the final say who does the work. I would say they will call it totaled and make an offer x amount you let the bike go or x amount and you keep it. If the offers are not acceptable to you then you will have to negotiate. those people are difficult to negotiate with you will have to stick to your guns and make them pay what its worth. Good luck

A few years back I was rear ended by a hit and run drunk it took the police a week to find him the insurance company gave me the run around for 2 months. The adjuster gave me a couple of dates she would have an offer and failed to deliver. One Friday I called and she told me she was going on vacation and would get an offer together when she got back. I called her boss and told him they could settle with me today or my lawyer Monday. The agent postponed her vacation and called me about 8 that night with an offer for 20% more than I wanted. Don't give up and don't give in.

And the lamo who hit it and ran, please tell me they're going to be held responsible.

Your pics made me sick to my stomach, whether a 1st gen is my pick of bike or not. I hate to see a bike down. It's like seeing a horse down.

If you go down to the bottom and read the other posts on Hit and Run, it will give you the ups and downs(emotionally) of what is going on. I plan on showing the insurance agent the pictures of the bike laying on it's side and maybe he will understand more about why it hit the ground so hard with the rearend of the bike being raised up on a curb.

RandyA

Got the title and key to the "blue Beast" back from Sentry Insurance this morning with a letter that they are not paying anything. Sent them everything they asked for giving up my bike to try and settle this thing. I guess they settled it. Sent complaint out to Insurance Commissioner. Probally won't do anything either.

SENTRY INSURANCE #$&((**%#@@!!!

Got the title and key to the "blue Beast" back from Sentry Insurance this morning with a letter that they are not paying anything. Sent them everything they asked for giving up my bike to try and settle this thing. I guess they settled it. Sent complaint out to Insurance Commissioner. Probally won't do anything either.

SENTRY INSURANCE #$&((**%#@@!!!

That does not make sense. You had a legal vehicle and got hit by a charged driver. How do they think they can get by without paying insurance for your vehicle?

I just just got a call from the State Farm adjuster and he wants to meet me tomorrow afternoon to look at the bike. Well, we will see where it goes from here.

Dan, I feel for you with all you have been thru. Talk about a major PIA!!

RandyA

Dan, one more thing, have you contacted your insurance on the uninsured motorist part on what Sentry insurance sent you? I know that my insurance, Allstate, sure helped me in getting things going with State Farm in regard to my uninsured part. Has your insurance paid anything toward your claim? How about the vehicle part?

RandyA

I have not spent any time taking a real good look at how much damage the bike received, but just a quick once over is telling me it is worse than a cracked fairing. I did notice the other day that my headlight cover was crooked and I am now figuring out why. When I took the bike for a ride this evening, I felt something rubbing the steering. When I took a closer look, I noticed that the grills on each side of the ignition switch cover are way off to one side and the dash assembly is off also. Evidently, this bike hit the pavement so hard that it has bent the frame assembly that holds the fairings and dash in place. What probably made it worse was having the back end of the bike up on the curb and shifting much more weight on to the fairing. I don't have the 83 dash/fairing frame assembly on this bike as I upgraded to the 86 up when I changed my headlight assembly.

RandyA

Have heart it may not be as bad as it looks I found this out with my own which i am currantly repairing . You may remmember i was run off the road last summer. my dash was also off center just like yours i replaced the instrument cluster support with one that bongobob was kind enough to give me the fairng supports were bowed slightly off center put were easy to pull back into position. I did however have to take apart the instrument cluster and repair the main case with plastex which worked fantastic. My fairngs i repaired with plastex and sections cut from another fairing. the plastex does a perfect weld job for this purpose and sands down to were you dont even notice it. Ps I dont know about the usa but in canada the fairings can be ordered new for About $600 and all the consul pcs were available as well.

Have heart it may not be as bad as it looks I found this out with my own which i am currantly repairing .

Ps I dont know about the usa but in canada the fairings can be ordered new for About $600 and all the consul pcs were available as well.

I figure this also. The prices the local Yamaha shop gave me for the parts were;

R fairing 482

left bag 722

fairing stay 176

RH mirror 69

rt engine guard 131

r signal light 114

I noticed a right hand mirror went on ebay this week for $101 inc shipping.

RandyA

Mamoh man Randy, if you can get a new mirror for $69, rush down and buy it and you can make a huge profit because the last time I checked those mirrors new from Yama were close to $200...

I might should go by there and recheck those prices. I wonder what a brand new mirror still in the box would go for on ebay?

RandyA

I just checked with another Yamaha shop and he gave the price on the mirror as $185. Local dealer transposed a number. I faxed the whole parts estimate for him to review. Just another reason I avoid the local dealer.

RandyA

I'm parting out a 84 XVZ12 VR and I have all of the parts you are talking about your welcome to first shot at the parts before I put them on EBAY. Send me a list and I'll send pictures of the parts I have.

Mamoh man Randy, if you can get a new mirror for $69, rush down and buy it and you can make a huge profit because the last time I checked those mirrors new from Yama were close to $200...

Beware yamaha sells 2 mirrors one black and one chrome got cuaght on that myself

Beware yamaha sells 2 mirrors one black and one chrome got cuaght on that myself

Wow, never seen a black one before.

I just finished doing some more pricing over the phone on the other parts and there are some other problems. The front fairing stay that the local shop priced for $176 is $293 at the other shop. The guy at the other shop could not figure where the first shop got their prices. He said some of the prices from the first shop were way under what his costs were.

So, when I meet up with the adjuster tomorrow, I am going to explain this and ask if we need to get another estimate or does he want to make an offer.

RandyA

I'm parting out a 84 XVZ12 VR and I have all of the parts you are talking about your welcome to first shot at the parts before I put them on EBAY. Send me a list and I'll send pictures of the parts I have.

The only thing I am really going to need is the right front signal light. The rest of the stuff I can get or will fix myself.

Thanks and I still may be talking to you.

RandyA

Bummer, Randy! This was the first I heard of this and it sucks for you. Jeff mentioned that you were watching a fairing on eBay but I didn't know about the hit-n-run. I just went back and read the other posts you did.

When I crashed last year I bent the fairing stay and couldn't get the mirror mount straight so I got another one. This time when I cashed, I bent it on the other side so I took the two, cut them apart, and with the help of a friend, welded the two good halves back together. Looks like it's going to work, I haven't hung plastic back on it but the dash mounts up right.

Good luck with it all.