IGNORED

I am Experiencing Site Slowdowns and Lock-ups

V7Goose

Hey Don, over the past month or so I have been having an increasing number of LONG load times on pages here, sometimes it is clocked for several minutes, sometime it finally returns an error (usually a browser error). These happen at least two or three times every time I visit the site now. When these are happening, I can switch to another window or tab and access all other web sites perfectly, so it really doesn't seem to be my network or ISP. I haven't tried to run a trace route on the forum site yet, so it's possible it is a network bottleneck somewhere between North Texas and the hosting company.

Just thought I'd post this here to see if others are seeing the same types of problems before I do anything else.

Goose

Today was the first time I've had a problem too. While you may have been getting no errors, I was getting dozens of emails about MySQL error "too many connections". I ended up having to increase the max connections to the database. It seems to have corrected the problem. I'll continue to watch it. I suspect that we were being attacked by some bots trying to get in because we didn't have enough folks online at the time to cause the too many connections problem.

Maybe the backbone is running through Iowa....... Glub!!! But yeah, I've had a few glitches myself.

Takes a bit, to wring the water out of the packets & dry them out...... :stirthepot:

It took a long time when I first got back from work, but back to normal now.:thumbsup2:

Hey Don, over the past month or so I have been having an increasing number of LONG load times on pages here, sometimes it is clocked for several minutes, sometime it finally returns an error (usually a browser error). These happen at least two or three times every time I visit the site now. When these are happening, I can switch to another window or tab and access all other web sites perfectly, so it really doesn't seem to be my network or ISP.

Just thought I'd post this here to see if others are seeing the same types of problems before I do anything else.

Goose / Don,

It is happening to me also. Several times yesterday here at work it happened and then again last night (evening around 5:30pm) I could not even get on the site, however all other searchs / sites worked fine (both here at work and at home ), but not VR.Org..just long waiting times to end up with browser error messages.

:think::confused24:

I'm keeping a watch on it and trying to figure out what might be happening. It appears to have nothing to do with how many people are online. When it happened yesterday, there were not many people online at the time. I have also submitted a ticket to our hosting company for their input and monitoring. We'll get it figured out.

By the way, there ARE a couple of things that happen late at night/early morning. I don't remember exactly what time I have them set for but I have the site doing automatic backups and also submitting sitemaps to Google and Yahoo. These are a bit server intensive but the problem yesterday and at some other times you are reporting are certainly not happening during those times.

I've been getting those messages at the top from time to time too.

Also this one "The webpage cannot be found". This usually happens when I hit the new post button. I just hit the refresh button and everything works again.

The long delays happen at all times of day for me. So far none this morning (been on for about 10 minutes now). The last one I hit lasted for several minutes last night around 10:51 pm. I guess I'll start posting exact times when I see it, just in case that helps pinpoint anything.

Goose

Just hit me - 0900 on the dot - took over 4 minutes to respond to a "New Posts" search. Trace routes from before and during the event showed similar times - there are some nasty latencies at one hop, but only about 120ms, and clearly not causing this multi-minute delay.

Goose

Has something to do with the NEW POST . I never use that and the site has always been fast. After reading some of the othere comments I tried it and the thing was slower than christmas. Even got a "Connection Intrupeted" and I just stopped waiting after about 40 seconds , closed my firefox and went back into the site and its fine

I do use that search button a lot, but the problem is not exclusively related to that. When I experienced it last night I was just trying to open a thread. And I have had times in the past that I had several tabs in different browser windows clocked on this site at the same time. I use IE7 exclusively as my browser - not because I like it, but simply because as bad as it is, it still has far fewer problems for me than either FireFox or Opera.

Goose

Don ...I was unable to log on to the site from June 14th thru 17th. I emailed Skydoc who sent me a link to the site which let me in. As of today 6-18-08 I can again gain entry on my own with out help from Skydoc's link.

Dave

Don, the error message, "method not implemented", is one I emailed you about late last month that seemed tied to the banner rollover at the top of the pages. The wording of what I sent you is the exact wording (complete) as it came off the screen. I had made an avi but it was a huge file so I didn't bother trying to send it. The timing of the cycling of the messages and the little vertical page shift (jitter for lack of a better term) I mentioned seems to be about the same as a normal banner change cycle, for what that's worth.

Regarding the loading delays, mine are sporadic. But, as I said, I ran all the virus and malware scans I could think of, including a registry scan & cleanup, seemed to help. My ping time is stuck at about 72ms. Not too much trouble with that now.

I figure any delays I get are likely the guys in dark glasses & bad suits, monitoring me. I have a, shall we say, propensity for speaking my mind bluntly to various members of our federal government. Heaven forbid someone should tell them the truth in simple terms they can understand! I even type real slow for them. But, I digress...

No joy on any of the system troubles, boss! My brain's not really giving me anything to help. Sorry!