IGNORED

Newby needs advice

Hi folks, I'm looking at an '84 right now. Garaged kept, one owner and near mint. Very low miles and probably hasn't been run in several decades. I hoping to get advice from forum on what I should be aware of with these bikes.

The obvious repairs would be: all new fluids

new tires

Carb and fuel system go thru.

Big problem now, is the bikes not running. So, I cannot listen to the motor or test ride. The second gear failure issue has me concerned.

What else should I be looking for and or concerned with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RayC

Welcome to the group and congrats on the bike..  if you havent found it yet, to to the technical library forum and there is a section for the 83-93 Ventures and under that is a sub forum that is titled Known Problems and things to look for and there is a couple of articles in there you should read. Also read through the tech library as there is a lot of useful information in there plus you can search on YouTube and there is some old Yamaha factory service videos on the Ventures in there.  There is also a PDF of the service manual and owners manual in there that can be a lot of help to you.  And dont be afraid to ask questions here if you are not sure about something. We will do our best to answers your questions.

Be prepared to rebuild the carbs the best you can as there isnt a rebuild kit to do them and you need 4 of about everything. I would replace both tires no matter how they look as I would trust 20+ year old tires. 

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rick F

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I've been watching youtube videos for about a month or so, since a few Ventures came up for sale in my area. So, my recent find really peaked my interest, this bike is beautiful. I think I've watched twenty plus videos in the last few days. About an hour ago, I found the Venture manufacturer videos, looks interesting. I will be checking your recommendations in the tech library. Thanks, going there now....

Hello Ray, Welcome to the forums.  I see you've not purchased this motorcycle yet.  A 1984 bike can be a wonderful adventure.  However, most of the adventure will be dependent on your mechanical ability.  Parts, with the exception of the rear ( foot ) brake master cylinder, seem to be available on e-bay.  Even the special tool to hold the valve cup for a valve shim change can be found.  You did not state the mileage on this particular bike, but the low mileage you did mention is a good thing, probably.  I think the date that the second gear thrust washer change was in late '84.  The last 4 digits of your serial number will let you know if your potential bike is beyond the range that had this particular issue.  The tech forums hold some gems of information for you, but like most forums, you will have to spend some significant amount of time finding those snippets which are relevant to your particular problems.  Some would appear to be really helpful and some are less so.  I found the advice on setting carb float levels misleading as I found the result of following the advice left me with a very lead condition. 

This is beside the point.  A 1984 Venture is a highway munching machine.  While they handle fairly well, pushing them hard on twisty roads will give you some speed wobbles.   Not at normal speeds, but pushing this bike hard on twisty corners is not it's best use.  It is in no way a sport bike.  It's a touring machine built for highway comfort.  It's much more comfortable than a BMW of similar vintage, but the BMW will ride circles around it on the twisties.  It's big and heavy.  It is also lighter, faster and more nimble than a 1984 Goldwing.   I could spend some time discussing this bike.  I have restored a 1983 so I have some idea about the maintenance issues.  I'll let you lead on this.

As I see you are looking at the tech forums,  I will add a list of things you should probably " renew "

Tires

don't forget the valve stems

Brake lines: they are 40 years old.  Don't trust them.

Rebuild the brake calipers.  Their seals are 40 years old as well.

Probably the front and rear brake master cylinders.

Carbs,

Wheel bearings

fuel filter and gas lines

check to see if the right front engine case guard has worn a notch in the pipe elbow for coolant

grease the control cables and speedo cable, but not too close to the speedo.  ( the grease tends to travel )

The output from the alternator goes to a plug to the left side of the bike.  It tends to burn up. Hard-wire across the plug.

Take lots of pictures of your carbs when you get them out of the bike, before you take them apart.  Lots of pics.  If you only took 10, that's not enough.  You'll need them to get it back together, trust me !

Let us know if you get it.

Tom

Tom, the bikes got 2500 miles. I can appreciate changing all the rubber parts, but, wheel bearings? The last state inspection sticker says 1992! HS. This thing is literally in show room condition...I mean even the clear coat on every engine part and casing is mint and without blemish...

Ray

OK, Ray  First of all, color me Bright Green with envy.  What a find !  2500 miles ???  Not even broken in !  We need pics you selfish SOB !

I can't even imagine ! 

OK, gotta calm down...

Wheeew, deep breaths... OK,  OK,, 

About the wheel bearings.    The grease in those bearings is 40 years old.  40 years of evaporation, hardening, soap coming out of the oil in the grease. Moisture, oxidation and so forth.  The ability of the grease to form boundary lubrication is certainly degraded.  They may well last several thousand miles but they will fail without being relubed.  As for valve stems, check for corrosion where they go through the wheel rim, and install short stems, metric stems, for the wheel.  Rubber ones would be fine, I'm sure. 

Don't tell me what you paid for it, I'm sure it would give me heart palpitations.

Oh, and check to be sure the brake fluid isn't draining down on that rear master cylinder from the reservoir.  They are really pricey, and you want to save yours from damage.

Tom, "valve stems"...OH, on the wheels! I thought you were talking engine valves. Yeah ok got ya... 😂 

So the wheel bearing, yes I would normal repack them if it's of that type. Seal bearing would them need replacing. Are these sealed bearings?

This whole second gear issue has me concerned. It there a way to test for this problem on a non running bike. I don't know...by spinning the rear wheel by hand and shifting in to second....I guess that sounds stupid with drive train resistance and engine compression...

What about removing the spark plugs, to take compression resistance out of the picture? Any chance of figuring this out?

Thanks

Well,  If you are a normal rider, this will not be a problem,  2nd. gear will not fail you.  The transmission will start to pop out of gear between 35,000 and 45,000 miles.  If you ride about 2200 miles a year, which is about average, you will be faced with this crisis in about 16 years.  If, however, you get real excited and ride more the first two years or so, you can get there faster.  You might face the 2nd. gear failure in 10 years.   I have 38,000 on the clock and my 2nd is fine.  I don't ride much.  If it fails, I don't care.  One of the guys here used to buy bikes with failed 2nd. gears cheap and would put 100,000 more miles on them with no second gear function at all.  He's just run the bike up to about 40 mph in first gear, then shift to 3rd.  Don't worry about 2nd gear. 

Thanks, it does make for a good negotiating point though. I watched a video of a tranny repair on a Vmac. There the shifter fork didn't fully engage the second gear dogs, so they would eventually slip out. Creating and over rounding condition that just made it slip out more. 

I think this is what I read on one site the early Venture do/did. A bit of work to repair, but doable...

1 hour ago, Vickersguy said:

Like I said, the problem was fixed on late '84 bikes.  If this one has a high serial # it has the hardened split washer that fixed the failure point.  That cut off number is somewhere on the forum.

Fixed partway thru 85.

1 hour ago, rpjn59 said:

Thanks, it does make for a good negotiating point though. I watched a video of a tranny repair on a Vmac. There the shifter fork didn't fully engage the second gear dogs, so they would eventually slip out. Creating and over rounding condition that just made it slip out more. 

I think this is what I read on one site the early Venture do/did. A bit of work to repair, but doable...

Wasn't the fork's fault, the split washer wears out and then the dogs don't/aren't seated properly.

This is what I'm trying to get...the specifics.

Next question, can you determine this via a non running engine and use a shift lever test. The ole, put in gear, then rock forward and reverse until the engaged gear provides resistance. If the dogs catch the next gear. Then all maybe good, maybe. If it keeps slipping out you then know for sure there's an issue, and Bob's your uncle, please take off $1000...😉

Welll, I got the year wrong.  Midway thru 85 is correct, not 84.  Reread my last post.  On a bike with 2500 miles on the clock, there will be no failure.  You are wasting your time looking for it.  I have 38,000 miles on my 83 and 2nd gear still fine.  IF you are looking for a way to talk the guy down, this isn't going to work for you.  Explain to him, you need new tires, brake lines, piston caliper seals, carb work and so forth.  What is he asking ?

Oh, by the way, this bike does NOT have any "Royal badging." It's got Venture on like every plastic part, but no Royal. Every other bike I've seen on the inter-web has Royal somewhere on the bike. The other odd thing is the color, It's like a blood red and it's not two toned, which every other Venture seems to be. It does have, what appears to be the exact same pin striping though...

Yamaha sold 2 models of the Venture..  the standard version and the Royale version.  The Royale version included the air suspension controller in the right fairing, the CB radio, the radio and cassette system.   The standard version was dropped from the line in 1988 and they only sold the Royale from then to the end of the run in 1993.  The standard model has XVZ1200 as badging on the saddle bags and other location.

Your single color was available in 1984..  1984    red L/KC2        Bright Cherry Red ( single color )  It looks the only years for a single color was 1983 and 1984 with all other years being a two tone paint scheme.

Hope this answers your questions. If not let us know.

Rick F.

Ah, so, this bike does not have a radio or adjustable suspension? (it's funny how you miss things when you don't know what to look for) I just assumed all those items were under the covers on the front fairing. Well, that's a bummer. I'm pretty short at 5-6 and assumed that with the adjustable suspension I be able to customize the right height to fit me...I read, where some say, the seat height is pretty tall, at close to 32" and shorter riders found it challenging to keep their feet on the ground at a stop. With this bike being north of 700 lbs. I felt two feet well planted a stop light would be important. An option maybe to change out the linkage on the mono shock if needed, to get it to squat a bit....

The radio I thought would be cool to have, not that I have any cassette tapes any more, 😂. But that's easily remedied these days.

I guess the upside is there's more storage room in the faring compartments without the radios and air suspension control unit....but dang, I thought that would be real convenient...

Edited by rpjn59

You do have adjustment on the rear shock as there is a schrader valve on the left side of the bike down by the shock damper I believe.  Check the owners manual about that as I am not sure as I have a 89 VR. If you dont have a owners manual you can down load one from the tech library on the website here and that should assist you in locating it.  I believe some of the riders would shave down the seat a bit to get some additional reduced height also. There might be a post about it in the library also.

Good luck..

Rick F.