IGNORED

Good Morning/Good Afternoon/Good Evening

N3FOL

Got the same unit sitting in my sons shop, been there for about 4-5 years now. Also have a 12hp and its' still running somewhat. Used mine for about 20 years before I bought a Deere F525, and now am onto a Country Clipper, the best one yet. It's a relic alright, and a good workhorse.

This is just a chitchat thread right?? Me and the lady went and tested a 2018 6-speed Goldwing. The 88 Venture has over 100k miles now, and I plan to put another 5 or 6 year in her as my main touring bike, but when it comes time to upgrade, we've decided on the Wing. 

In case you were wondering how it compared to the Venture.

Wind protection was similar on the two, we road on a day with 40 mph wind gusts and felt that the protection was really similar. The Goldwing may have been a touch louder, because of the split windshield design. But I really enjoyed the electric windshield.

Suspension. The Venture has also been the smoothest bike for riding hands down, at least in my opinion. The new Goldwing handled the same bumps phenomenally and I was very impressed with the suspension. Kind of neat watching that new suspension bouncing up and down. The Goldwing suspension did suffer on a VERY rough off ramp where the joints in the road are separated out pretty good. The Venture suffers too, but not quite as bad. Overall, I was very impressed with the Goldwing's suspension.

Power. The Goldwing had great low-end torque that would snap your head back. That being said, 6th gear at 75mph on the Goldwing at wide open throttle vs the venture is comparable, or the venture is even a little snappier. That being said the 6th gear on the wing is a true highway overdrive, the venture is spooled up pretty high, so you're further into the power band.  Wide open throttle from a stop has the Goldwing shooting up the speed much faster than the Venture, but once the Venture starts to stretch her legs the gap closes a little bit. I would say all in all the Goldwing is a little faster than the Venture (but the venture has no governor which the Wing does)

Handling. The Goldwing is less top heavy than the venture, but sitting still, I felt the front wheel weight to be the same. I honestly didn't feel much difference between the two bikes, but I'm really used to the venture by this point. I cant say whether one or the other is better on turns, as we don't really have too many twisties too close to Omaha. 

Electronics. Goldwing wins hands down, the speakers on the bike are better, and you've got the TFT screen, etc. I'm not impressed with rider modes, but the Wing has them. I've got Bluetooth on the Venture. The big difference is that the Wing won't let you plug your helmet in, you have to have Bluetooth headsets, which to me isn't an improvement. I'd rather not screw with batteries, but we'll get used to it. 

Comfort. Can't really compare the two because we only got to ride for a little over half an hour. Initially felt as comfortable as the venture. The 6th gen gold wings are MUCH more comfortable than the 5th gen for me. I felt super cramped on the last gen wings and could get pretty miserable riding them long distances. The motor must be narrower and i could put my feet on the pegs much more comfortably than the 5th gen. 

Storage. Much less than the Venture, but not a huge issue for me. The newest iteration has a bigger trunk than the 2018s.

Overall, I was very impressed with the wing. The throttle felt good, and the clutch felt really nice. To me, the driving experience of the power train is very similar to the 5th gen, just a little more refined and it has an actual overdrive gear. 

I still can't get over the fact that the riding experience of these newer bikes doesn't eclipse the first gen Venture like you'd think they would. If these bikes weren't getting older and older and older, I'd probably continue riding first gen Ventures, but I think in the next 5 or 6 years, we'll be ready for a change. 

• Like 1

@N3FOLNephew is moving out to Alberta Canada and told me I could have it as i

his kids broke it and didn't want to take it with him(not mechanically inclined) so I drove 2 1/2 hrs North with my one son and put it and a smaller grass cutter machine onto my truck and snowmobile trailer. some small parts were missing(carb was missing the vacuum fuel pump which I got a rebuild kit off Amazon for $30)tires should last a winter ! Grass deck was seized. Have been on a couple web sites for this tractor but anyone that has parts for sale live around Virginia or states around there!(I'm in Canada around Brantford where @Marcarllives. Talked to him yesterday and he said he still owns the same one but his son and grand son tore it apart to rebuild years ago!

Still keeping an eye out looking for parts and information! Being retired kind of hinders money to spend!

Hope I can get it fixed as compared to my other tractors( lawn cutters forced to plow!) this the size and weight I really need to plow (10-13 lane ways and sidewalks I do in winter)

@bpate4homeI am also a student of U-tube University! And also get information from a small engine mechanic but is retiring this fall but I will try and keep in touch if I need help(said he might)

20211229_104101.jpg

20211229_104129.jpg

• Like 1

@Chaharly I can't wait to see pics of your new GW once you decide to get it.  Keep enjoying your '88 Venture.  I don't have the 1st Gen, but I am a proud original owner of an '07.  She is a keeper.  Nice assessment on your ride comparison.

1 hour ago, N3FOL said:

@Chaharly I can't wait to see pics of your new GW once you decide to get it.  Keep enjoying your '88 Venture.  I don't have the 1st Gen, but I am a proud original owner of an '07.  She is a keeper.  Nice assessment on your ride comparison.

I loved my second gen!  RIP to that one!

2 hours ago, Chaharly said:

I loved my second gen!  RIP to that one!

Sorry to learn about your 2nd Gen.  You already know this.  The bike can be replaced...GW is coming soon.  :7_6_3[1]: