IGNORED

Help with Horn relay - do I have a story... :-)

Hello all, haven't been around for a few years. I was really active from 2012 to about 2018. Love the group and enjoyed giving and receiving technical assistance.

I got lucky and fell into a "volunteer" side gig doing reviews for Ultimate Motorcycling since 2018. In 2021 Yamaha provided me a project bike - 2021 Yam Tenere 700 and that has kept be very busy when not doing my day job.I have posted about 155 motorcycle related reviews since 2018.  I have barely ridden my 2007 RSV since 2021. Now I am taking 500-800 mile day rides and the only bike to do that on is my RSV. Did 2 Saddle Sore 1000's in 2008 on it.

I mounted 1969 air horns on my RSV with RELAY and wiring help from this forum. On my last ride, the compressor pulled way to many amps and blew the 30A fuse from the battery to the relay. With replacing the fuse, I can't get power to the + and - where the old compressor lived. 

I installed that wiring about 11 years ago when I was 61. I am 72 now and don't remember what I did. Some of the wiring is in the OEM loom.

The relay does click when I press the horn button - and the front horn honks, but not power to the end leads.

Here is what I have:

Brown, Red and Orange OEM wires going to the relay. Good power direct from the battery going to the Relay. ( relay wiring has worked for 11 years so it is wired correctly)

The Brown Red and Orange leave the Relay in an OEM wire loom and go down to the side horn. ( side horn is not connected)

I have two wires that plug into the Side horn connector and go to where I mounted the air horn.

I have no power at the air horn  wires ( old air horn is in the trash now). The relay does click when I hit the horn button.

Question 1:

Could the relay just be blown?

Question 2:.

What do I connect to return to just the OEM side horn function ?

Thanks all.

VentureFar

Neil

Scanned Documents.pdf

5 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

The relay could certainly be faulty, just do a continuity test across the relay contacts when the horn button is held down. 

Which two contact or between which colors? Brown red or orange?

also how do remove the relay and plug everything back in to just make the side horn work again?

thanks