IGNORED

Fork Oil - drain and fill

I have an o-ring leak on the anti-dive unit which is dripping brake fluid. To take that off and fix it, means loss of fork oil. So figured I would just drain the forks and refill with new fluid.

Been searching around and looked in the manual. The only thing I want to do is drain the fork oil and refill with new.  Manual goes over steps to completely remove and disassemble the fork  tubes - not what I am intending. Searching the site there are alot of threads about changing seals and springs. Not what I am intending.

All I want to do is drain the oil and refill. I see what looks like a drain screw on the bottom rear of each fork tube.  What I need to know is for refilling.  How do I get fresh oil in? 

This is an '84 venture royal with the air compressor, air ride system.  There does not appear to be simple air valve or screw cap on top of the fork tubes to pour in the top.

I can see one little glitch for you. 400 ml of oil will be the right amount for OEM springs, but not if the PO added Progressive coils, they take up more room and so require less oil. Best to do a fill from the top method or you'll blow the seals. All that really needs to be removed for easy of access are the handle bars and small grills. There is nothing untoward hiding below the top plug, it can all stay there.

I would suggest though that you would be a happy rider if you did a total rebuild and added Progressive springs and properly cleaned our all the residue in the tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks!  
I’ve no idea what is in there for springs (oem or progressive). What would be the volume for the progressives? 350 ml ?

I need to drain the right fork.  The anti dive piston on that side leaks a drop of fork oil out of the weep hole when front brake is applied. Definitely fork oil, not brake fluid. I suspect there is just an o-ring in there needing to replace. So planning to take that apart. Looks like a 15 minute job. 

3 hours ago, FaceDeAce said:

Ok thanks!  
I’ve no idea what is in there for springs (oem or progressive). What would be the volume for the progressives? 350 ml ?

I need to drain the right fork.  The anti dive piston on that side leaks a drop of fork oil out of the weep hole when front brake is applied. Definitely fork oil, not brake fluid. I suspect there is just an o-ring in there needing to replace. So planning to take that apart. Looks like a 15 minute job. 

Check the progressive website for best info. So many inches to the top of the tube.

On 7/27/2024 at 2:25 PM, Marcarl said:

Check the progressive website for best info. So many inches to the top of the tube.

Inches??? I thought you Eh teamers measured in M&Ms. 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, RDawson said:

Inches??? I thought you Eh teamers measured in M&Ms. 🤣🤣🤣

Yep,,, we obviously know how to do it right, but we also want to helpful to those who don't know or understand the right directions, so seeing as we are familiar to both we can use what suits best.

• Like 1