IGNORED

PSI and load capacity

I have a 2008 yamaha venture Royal Star

My wife and i total weight of us is 415.

I understand that motorcycle max weight is really a safety for them.

my tires have a load index of 74h. they are michelein tires.

Which from the manufacture that is 800lbs~
This bike is clearly designed for two passengers for touring

which wife and I are planning a very long motorcycle trip

i know the luggage bags can only hold 20lbs each

However my question is if the max weight of the bike is 419lbs

and two avg size people hit that max

can the bike really not handle any form of balanced luggage and if so how much more do i air up the tires and how do i find out how much weight is on the rear tire from the bike alone?

Ive looked all over the bike and there is now PSI chart. my honda furi has one on the frame but this one does not

i cant find anything online such as a chart for weight / PSI ratio or anything. Any help with experiance would be great one how much we can actually load up psi recommendations etc

Don't take this to the judge, but I have seen quite a few heavy weights on the bikes  that easily pass the 400  mark, and some that haven't got close as well. They all seemed to make it home safely. Fact is I even have a picture of us 2 on the 85, and that put even us over 400. Now tire pressure is another story. Check the tires for the load limit and pressure limit. In your case I would go up to the pressure limit on a cold tire. That is your best bet to not over stress the tire. Tires are stamped with a max pressure and a max load. If you only run half load on the tire, then you can run less pressure, but half is not half. Full load, is full pressure.

On 6/11/2024 at 3:23 PM, unarmordbrig said:

I have a 2008 yamaha venture Royal Star

My wife and i total weight of us is 415.

I understand that motorcycle max weight is really a safety for them.

my tires have a load index of 74h. they are michelein tires.

Which from the manufacture that is 800lbs~
This bike is clearly designed for two passengers for touring

which wife and I are planning a very long motorcycle trip

i know the luggage bags can only hold 20lbs each

However my question is if the max weight of the bike is 419lbs

and two avg size people hit that max

can the bike really not handle any form of balanced luggage and if so how much more do i air up the tires and how do i find out how much weight is on the rear tire from the bike alone?

Ive looked all over the bike and there is now PSI chart. my honda furi has one on the frame but this one does not

i cant find anything online such as a chart for weight / PSI ratio or anything. Any help with experiance would be great one how much we can actually load up psi recommendations etc

This sticker should be on your bike.  Also, this info is in your owners manual.  If you dont have an owners manual, you can get a PDF for free from Yamaha website, or right here on this site.

For me, I run a 130 size front tire and keep both tires to maximum sidewall pressure at all times.  

TP.jpg

I run my Dunlop E3's at the above pressures and adjust the rear shock pressure based on riding solo or with my wife.  With 2-up I increase the shock pressure.  I go a little more than 10% of the weight.  If pulling a trailer I take the weight on the hitch into consideration doing the calculation.

What to keep in mind are a couple of things: Sidewall deflection and contact patch. Too much sidewall deflection leads to overheating and too little contact patch leads to loss of traction.

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

What to keep in mind are a couple of things: Sidewall deflection and contact patch. Too much sidewall deflection leads to overheating and too little contact patch leads to loss of traction.

Out bikes will never have a contact patch problem at maximum sidewall pressure as they mash the pavement down so hard.  🤣

• Confused 1