IGNORED

Quick education

Hi

First gen and 2nd gen what year was the switch made?  I have a 2004 midnight venture

What adapter do i need to lift it with motor cycle jack? Oil pan appears to be the catch.

The 1st Gen Ventures were sold from 83 to 93.  The 2nd Gen Ventures were sold from 99 to 2013.

A member used to make and sell adapter plates for the 2nd Gen so a MC jack could lift it safely.  Some even had attachable legs.  I don't know where you get one now.  

IMG_1229.JPG

1st gen MK1 83-85 and MKII 86-93 were frame mounted fairing bikes. Mid-mount foot pegs, feet under you. 
2nd gen 99-2013 have bar mounted batwing fairings and feet forward cruiser style floor boards. 
they both share the 4 cylinder water cooled engine though HP was cut some on the 2nd gens. 
Yes you need a jack adapter since the engine hangs thru the frame. I sell a different jack adapter with legs than the one shown. Mine has a wider stance. 

2 hours ago, CLEON said:

rd 

how much for the adapter? I live in ontario canada so if your states side it likely will become cost prohibitive.

I sent a pm. Respond to that with your address and I’ll get a quote. UPS sometimes does ok across the border. 

The adapter that Larry used to make is the best option.  I have one with legs and use it to store my bike over the winter and when doing maintenance.  Prior to the availability of the lift adapter some people used hockey pucks in the right locations on their bike lift.

If you are good with welding....it is possible to make your own.  I recall that there was a post years ago with the dimensions and plans.

I'm in Kitchener.

41 minutes ago, RDawson said:

This is the adapter with legs I build. It has a wide stance for stability and oil drain pans fit under it. 

48B25A62-4ED3-48FD-A9A6-D6820D47E4E2.thumb.jpeg.e1c45b684ad38fa8203ffbed5f483f4d.jpeg

FD4581C0-E227-48C1-AA91-7BE91DF36B2D.thumb.jpeg.60b3eca7e2ea7fa022a6ca8f10283405.jpeg

Looks good.  Just wondering.... the plates at the bottom of the legs don't look very long/wide.  Have you considered going bigger on those?

How tall are the legs?  Some jacks don't go as high as others.  Might be something for people to consider if they order it from you.  You should put it in the "for sale" area if you already haven't for those interested....if you plan on making/selling them.  

Also...how wide is the adapter?  The jack I had originally had pads that barely fit across the adapter that Larry made.  I went with a jack with much longer pads so I have about 2" extending beyond the adapter (makes less me less nervous when lifting the bike !)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, XV1100SE said:

Looks good.  Just wondering.... the plates at the bottom of the legs don't look very long/wide.  Have you considered going bigger on those?

How tall are the legs?  Some jacks don't go as high as others.  Might be something for people to consider if they order it from you.  You should put it in the "for sale" area if you already haven't for those interested....if you plan on making/selling them.  

Also...how wide is the adapter?  The jack I had originally had pads that barely fit across the adapter that Larry made.  I went with a jack with much longer pads so I have about 2" extending beyond the adapter (makes less me less nervous when lifting the bike !)

The legs are 1.25. The bottom pads are 2x2, that gives 16 square inches of ground contact. 869lb/16 gives only a 54lb per inch ground pressure point. I didn’t feel the need to go bigger as it lets you move the jack to find center of gravity depending on contents of bags or maybe bags removed without hitting the jack. I can drop a tire/wheel, slide the jack off center to keep it level and jack it up to get the tire out. 
The width at the frame is the standard 11” for frame contact. Leg width is 20”. 
The legs are 12” so that shorter jacks work and gets tire’s approximately 5” off the ground. (My personal one has taller legs but the 12” is for a more universal fit for different jacks)

These aren’t box store tubing, they are constructed of ASTM A500 structural steel  

I went extra wide so I feel more comfortable really cranking on bolts without a chance of tipping. 
The only downside I see is that due to the wider size the shipping gets a little steep depending where it goes. The price includes shipping in the 48 and to Canada it is actual shipping minus $60. ($60ish is an average price I pay to UPS in the 48.)

They are listed under the 2nd Gen Parts and Accessories heading. 

Edited by RDawson

• 2 weeks later...

my 04 must lower than other or my atv lift has a higher profile 4.75" in the lowered position. i made one with 1-1/4" sq tube but the jack wont slide under adapter and that is with side stand on a 2x4 and adapter held up against frame. I dont have the pin brackets on yet but i dont think having it hanging while rolling jack under will change my results. i guess rolling it onto a 2x6 will help but from what i read so far that isnt required.