IGNORED

2006 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe Engine Problems

I want to think ya'll for letting me join your club. I've read articles from Venture Rider pertaining to Yamaha Royal Star motorcycles. Let me tell you my story. My uncle of 76 yrs old bought this 2006 Yamaha Royal Star 1300 new in 2006. He loved this bike. His health got bad and the bike was last ridden was  in 2019. He passed away October 2023. To my surprise He left the Yamaha to me. Bike has 15,000 miles on it. Bike looks Great. Ya'll know what happens when a bike sits. I started working on getting it back on the road since Jan. 1st 2024. I've done your typical carburetor cleaning and install a rebuild kit. I've synchronized the carburetors.Checked the ohms on all 4 coils. I still have the same problem. The bike will sputter out of the right exhaust at idle. Spark plugs look good. I road the bike for the first time last Saturday. Its hard to explain, when taking off bike acts like it surge's, but between the surging the bike acts like it wants to go. I read and article from one of your members about disabling the I.R.S. system. That  made a Big Difference on the sputtering from RT. exhaust when idling. But still has that surge felling. I would appreciate  any help getting this bike to run  correctly. once fixed, I think the bike will be so much Fun To Ride... Think Y'all...

Start from cold and check the exhaust temps on all 4 cylinders right at the heads. Make sure they’re running close to each other. They run surprisingly strong on three cylinders. If you have a cold pipe start looking at the corresponding coil, plug wire, and the carbs again. These carbs can be finicky to get right sometimes but once they’re there keep good fuel in it and don’t let it set with ethanol in it. And yes they are a blast to ride and very comfortable bikes. 

• Like 1

Had similar situation on 04 midnight venture I picked up from a guy all cylinders had spark,, started up eazy enough but when you tried cd to give it some throttle look it would lug lag spit sputter rear cylinders both hot but evenly front cylinders still cool and evenly cool  checked coils again spark on all four ...

NpTurned out to be the coil wires (not spark plug wires) they were reversed cylinder 2 coil wires we're on 4 and. VIce a versa swapped out and no more proble