IGNORED

2008 Royal Star Venture no start

I just acquired this bike and it ran last year.  Now I hit the starter button (key on) and nothing. Not even a click.  With the key on, I have power to all 4 smaller wires at the solenoid. Hit the start button and no change. Something has to ground the relay. I've searched threads and didn't find one that had the location of the starter circuit cut-off relay. A lot of talk about it but no location. From what I've read it may have the fuel pump relay as part of it. I have the manual and the wiring diagram is too hard to follow. I found a simplified starting diagram but can't find a relay anywhere with the wire colors it shows for the cut-off relay.  I'd attach a clip of the diagram that I have, but I can't figure out how, lol.

The first thing to check is the battery.  Take it to an Autozone or auto parts store and load test it.  Even if it checks proper voltage that doesn't mean it will supply a load.

• Like 2

When I was diagnosing it, I didn't know that you have to pull the clutch lever in to start it. Once I figured that out it was pretty simple. The blue wire at the starter solenoid was grounded when the clutch lever was in and the start button was pushed but the solenoid didn't actuate. Replaced the starter solenoid and all good. Thanks

16 hours ago, Skydivertony said:

When I was diagnosing it, I didn't know that you have to pull the clutch lever in to start it. Once I figured that out it was pretty simple. The blue wire at the starter solenoid was grounded when the clutch lever was in and the start button was pushed but the solenoid didn't actuate. Replaced the starter solenoid and all good. Thanks

You shouldn’t need to pull the clutch if it’s in neutral. If so look at your neutral switch. 

On 5/21/2024 at 7:40 PM, RDawson said:

You shouldn’t need to pull the clutch if it’s in neutral. If so look at your neutral switch. 

2nd this... my '99 left me stranded earlier this year with a bad clutch switch after stopping for gas.  Bike would power on just fine, but absolutely nothing when you hit the starter.  Ended up a with a shorted clutch safety switch shutting down the whole starting system.