IGNORED

'89VR - Installed NEW fuse panel...now issues with air pump...

To All:

So...I was forced to get a new fuse panel. Mine had already been changed when I got it, but issues (voltage dropping due to loose connections) kept presenting and I got pissed so I ordered a new one off of ebay. Since then, I've had several things present that's got me curious and wanted to see your thoughts...

1. Engine now runs in ACC or ON. CSS (air pump) panel will never come on, only very rarely. It did NOT do this before the change.

2. I had replaced the rectifier and got GOOD volts (15.4 if memory serves) and was running right. Then had the issues with the fusebox and changed it. Everything is tight, but sometimes it's high...sometimes it's not.

Again, thoughts?

Thanks much. Very appreciated.

I know you won't want to hear this but you've got the new fuse panel miss wired. I assume that the panel you installed wasn't a OEM panel, but one with the push in fuses. It sounds like you're going to need somebody with electrical experience to look at how you wired the panel and compare it to how the OEM panel was wired by looking at the print. Did you take some pictures before you removed the old panel? A picture of what you have now would also help and I could use my 89 for a comparisson.

1. Engine now runs in ACC or ON. CSS (air pump) panel will never come on, only very rarely. It did NOT do this before the change.

The CLASS glass fuse holder is right next to the main fuse box. Any chance it got bumped, damaged, blown, etc?

Stock Royale fuses.jpg

Do you have a 12volt test light or a voltmeter? If so, pull all of the fuses in the main fuse panel, turn the ignition switch to ACC and let me know which fuse clips have voltage on them. Then repeat the same procedure with the ignition switch in the run position.

It's been a lot of years since I pulled the fuse panel off of a Venture, but I seem to remember that it's part of the main wiring harness. You probably didn't replace the entire harness because you'd have to take a lot of the bike apart to get to it. That means that you probably cut the wires to your old panel and then reconnected the replacement panel. Please describe exactly what you did.

The Class fuse should have voltage on it when the switch is in the ACC position. The power for this doesn't go anywhere near the fuse panel, but comes straight from the ignition switch.