IGNORED

Non-bike related. Cooking ground meat in cast iron, general Q.

CaseyJ955

Okay, the internet is full of a bit of conflicting information on this, but I have been lately picking up cooking on cast iron skillets and loving it, even after a learning curve, which I may not be totally over. They are amazing for so many things. I made some spectacular rib-eyes the other night after watching a handful of youtube vids to get the jist of it, the first time I have been able to make steaks to my own satisfaction, maybe some of the best teaks I have ever had, so I'm all happy about that. They did leave some bits stuck in the pan but I know that is part of the deal. I have no trouble if I saute shrooms and onions, hash browns come out awesome, scrambled eggs can be a little bit tricky but largely it works well enough with some sticking. I figure for eggs I just need to break the pans in a little more, I know eggs are an acid test for cast iron skillets, so I didnt get heart broken the times they didnt really slide out but still came out delicious.

Clean up is always a snap though so I dont think I'm killing the seasoning. If they feel a little sticky or look thin I might do a tune-up seasoning or two to keep them up, I've had a couple times where I figured the seasoning was wearing thin or feeling a little course/dry so I re-up it. When I started cooking on these pans I cooked sausage and bacon, other oily stuff or vegs. I know animal proteins are a little less forgiving than plants.

I'm stumbling on ground meat. I tried a ground turkey and it just stuck like mad, cleaned it all up and tried again a few days later with what I think was a bit too much oil, but in the name of science, still stuck. I did some burgers today and they had great sear and were quite nice, but they started sticking to the pan right away, not like turkey, but enough to be annoying. I let it cool a few minutes to barely touchable warm and put enough hot water in the pan to cover the bottom and within about two minutes it was a very easy clean up, leaving the seasoning intact, I think.

When I season I do 200 deg/10 min, then I take them out, do the oil rub all over(I've tried many oils but I'm on Canola oil now), then 300/10 min, remove and wipe excess oil off, then 1-1.5 hr at ~450, allowing to cool completely in the oven before removal. I've tried many ways of seasoning and this one seems to be the best so far. I want to try linseed oil but A, I hear it is brittle and can flake off, B, it's spendy and I cant find any.

Before I cook I gradually preheat the pans on the stove top, then add oil and begin cooking. Normally when the cooking and the pan has cooled enough to touch without profanity then I'll walk to the sink, run some hot water and just use my hand to do a quick cleaning, then heat again for a couple minutes on the stove to dry, then re-oil and put away.

I know this is long and has jackola to do with bikes but I suspect I may be asking the right bunch of folks.

The pans I replaced were flawed, My newer 8 and 12 are Lodge, which I used 80 grit to knock down the high spots that would catch a spatula, they gritty finish was not consistent, but they are dirt cheap pans that have quite a following. I left them gritty, just got them consistent with the 80 grit, then seasoned 5 complete cycles before using. I've seen some folks smooth them out completely and others just start cooking on them.My 13" is an Epicure, also gritty finish but splendidly consistent, so I just left it alone and went to using it. It's probably the best one of the bunch. Sticking is minimal and clean up is a snap. Usually with any of these pans when I'm done cooking I can just let them cool a little, run them under water and simply wipe any food bits out by hand. Also as I cook on these pans they are getting smoother so I guess I'm building up some seasoning in the low spots. These are MUCH easier to keep seasoned then my old Griswald, which was smooth but had high spots, I think someone tried to refinish it.

If you use cast iron, and somehow got to the end of this plea for help then thank you! If you have any wisdom or tricks to offer, then double thank you!

The best cooking is cast Iron,, been using them for years,,, there are good ones and not so good ones. The good ones stay flat and are easy clean.

The pan bottom needs to be smooth, not sure if you can sand them smooth or not, but if it is gritty, then sticking becomes an issue.

We use olive oil in our pans, or butter,, but not the cheap butter,, you have to get the good stuff, but it ain't cheap either.

I heat the pan, and as I do I will add the oil or butter, oil will heat higher than butter, so it your choice in time. Onions and mushroom get butter for sure... steaks get butter only if I plan to watch things like a hawk and be sure to sear the steaks the moment the butter starts to smoke.

If you try to lift your meat (any meat) to early during searing, it will stick, but one properly seared it will be crusted and loose,,, so be patient.

Clean up is as you described, easy stuff.

Can't remember the last time I needed to re-do a pan, it actually gets done as you use it. The only time you need to re-do, is if you made a big mess, had to use soap, waster and a scrubber to clean up. The maybe a quick re-do would be in order,,, wash, dry with heat, oil well while still warm, let cool!!

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

We have Lodge cast iron pans (made in the USA)and I used them for quite a while before my wife was laid off. I'm not much of a cook though and can't help with suggestions. I think my Mom used the same large cast iron pan to cook the family food for a half century or more. She lived to be 93yrs old.

We have Lodge cast iron pans (made in the USA)and I used them for quite a while before my wife was laid off. I'm not much of a cook though and can't help with suggestions. I think my Mom used the same large cast iron pan to cook the family food for a half century or more. She lived to be 93yrs old.

You think she lived that long because of the cast iron?

My cast iron is more than 40 years old, there is no brand name or markings on it so I have no clue what it is. I have not had to redo the seasoning more than 3 or 4 times in all those years. With all those years of use the cooking surface is worn quite smooth. Nearly as smooth as the ground ways on my milling machine. I do not do anything special for use or cleanup other than to never put it in water. Although sometimes I do have to use some water while cooking but I am sure to boil it all off before letting it cool down. Once you let it get below the boiling point the water will be sucked into the pores of the metal. Cleanup is paper towels once it is cool enough to handle. If I cooked something that may have damaged the seasoning I will oil it before putting away so it does not rust.

If I were to get a new pan I think I might sand it with progressive grits to around 320 or 400 before I even start with it. Just like gluing things, a smooth surface is hard to stick to, That is why you rough everything to be glued up with 80 grit for a better bond.

Now I am hungry again........

I get real hungry reading the posts. I also have several cast iron pans at home and most if not all retain heat very well. They say the hotter the pan, the better it is before putting down the steak. Tis the time for grilling. :beer:

You think she lived that long because of the cast iron?

It may have helped. Who knows? Probably was much healthier than teflon pans. But she always had a huge garden and she canned all kinds of veges before finally getting a large freezer. So, she ate stuff from her garden. When I was growing up we didn't eat a lot of meat. During the winter we ate lots of dry beans and pickled herring. And we ate lots of collards from the garden almost year round. She also cooked fresh biscuits twice daily. Man, they were good! My Dad caught about 4k herring from the local creek in the spring when they came inland to spawn. I remember one Saturday when he caught about 1000 that we had to clean and salt down before bed at about 1:00am. She was also a happy person who couldn't wait to get up early to take care of all her stuff, the garden and her cats, dogs, chickens, and sometimes goats. My Dad passed at age 79. Now, I'm 76. As the world turns!

It may have helped. Who knows? Probably was much healthier than teflon pans. But she always had a huge garden and she canned all kinds of veges before finally getting a large freezer. So, she ate stuff from her garden. When I was growing up we didn't eat a lot of meat. During the winter we ate lots of dry beans and pickled herring. And we ate lots of collards from the garden almost year round. She also cooked fresh biscuits twice daily. Man, they were good! My Dad caught about 4k herring from the local creek in the spring when they came inland to spawn. I remember one Saturday when he caught about 1000 that we had to clean and salt down before bed at about 1:00am. She was also a happy person who couldn't wait to get up early to take care of all her stuff, the garden and her cats, dogs, chickens, and sometimes goats. My Dad passed at age 79. Now, I'm 76. As the world turns!

Fond memories I bet!!! I had the same mom,, sure is different today!!!

My parents only owned Cast Iron until I was in my teens then they got some non-stick. They were gone within a few months. Personally my wife had a good set of steal pans which we used forever but always had issues with sticking. About 20 years ago I went to an estate sale and there was this old nasty rusted cast iron 12" skillet. The lady only knew her dad had it his whole life. He just hadn't used it for a very long time and it sat in his garage. I bought it for 50 cents, best buy ever. Cleaned it up, seasoned it and started using it. It has been great. Only issue I had was getting it too hot once which forced a heavy cleaning and seasoning it again. When I cook any type of ground meat I always add bacon grease to the pan first. This helps a lot. I also use strained clean bacon grease when I do any steaks as I just like how they come out. I also like liver and onions, in cast iron man oh man. yum. No I'm wanting that even for breakfast.

The best cooking is cast Iron,, been using them for years,,, there are good ones and not so good ones. The good ones stay flat and are easy clean.

The pan bottom needs to be smooth, not sure if you can sand them smooth or not, but if it is gritty, then sticking becomes an issue.

We use olive oil in our pans, or butter,, but not the cheap butter,, you have to get the good stuff, but it ain't cheap either...

Can't remember the last time I needed to re-do a pan, it actually gets done as you use it. The only time you need to re-do, is if you made a big mess, had to use soap, waster and a scrubber to clean up. The maybe a quick re-do would be in order,,, wash, dry with heat, oil well while still warm, let cool!!

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

I use European butter for cooking in, it's not cheap but it's definitely better. Butter is butter like oil is oil and tires are tires. Big differences indeed. I have I believe worn the seasoning down a couple times as the color I could see on the bottom of the pan looked closer and closer to the metal underneath, and they got stickier. I'm starting to think that my seasoning methods might be to blame for "worn thin" seasoning. I dont usually have trouble until there is ground meat involved, which there often is. I decided to leave some of the "grit" on the Lodges as I was having trouble keeping a seasoning. I'm going to hold course for now as they are smoothing and improving.

My cast iron is more than 40 years old, there is no brand name or markings on it so I have no clue what it is. I have not had to redo the seasoning more than 3 or 4 times in all those years. With all those years of use the cooking surface is worn quite smooth. Nearly as smooth as the ground ways on my milling machine. I do not do anything special for use or cleanup other than to never put it in water. Although sometimes I do have to use some water while cooking but I am sure to boil it all off before letting it cool down. Once you let it get below the boiling point the water will be sucked into the pores of the metal. That I did not know (Thank you), I knew that it had to be heated a bit for the pores to open up and accept the oil used for seasoning.

If I were to get a new pan I think I might sand it with progressive grits to around 320 or 400 before I even start with it. Just like gluing things, a smooth surface is hard to stick to, That is why you rough everything to be glued up with 80 grit for a better bond.

Ive noticed two schools of thought on this, I had a smooth one and I couldn't get it to keep a seasoning, but I also noticed the the more expensive pans are milled smooth and plenty of pros swear by it, again leading me to believe there was a flaw in my seasoning or cooking technique. I did take a little off the top of the grit for the Lodges, I bought them a few weeks ago new and they are getting smoother and slicker as I go, but I still seem to occasionally do something wrong that seems to cause the seasoning to "wear" instead of build up.

I get real hungry reading the posts. I also have several cast iron pans at home and most if not all retain heat very well. They say the hotter the pan, the better it is before putting down the steak. Tis the time for grilling. :beer:
I LOVE the way these do cuts of meat, the sear is second to none, AMAZING!!

My parents only owned Cast Iron until I was in my teens then they got some non-stick. They were gone within a few months. Personally my wife had a good set of steal pans which we used forever but always had issues with sticking. About 20 years ago I went to an estate sale and there was this old nasty rusted cast iron 12" skillet. The lady only knew her dad had it his whole life. He just hadn't used it for a very long time and it sat in his garage. I bought it for 50 cents, best buy ever. Cleaned it up, seasoned it and started using it. It has been great. Only issue I had was getting it too hot once which forced a heavy cleaning and seasoning it again. When I cook any type of ground meat I always add bacon grease to the pan first. This helps a lot. I also use strained clean bacon grease when I do any steaks as I just like how they come out. I also like liver and onions, in cast iron man oh man. yum. No I'm wanting that even for breakfast.
I often do sausage and onions, I add the onions when I flip the patties and go to a low/med heat until the onions begin to brown and caramelize. The onions are like candy and the flavors are just indescribable. It has sure upped my food prep game. I've seen some carbon steel pans, never used one, but I hear they are cared for and used just like the cast iron. One day I may give one a go.

There is some good insight here, I'm going to stay the course and hopefully get better at it. I almost threw a photo of this mornings breakfast of poached eggs (wifey did) and the sausage, onions and hash browns. Very simple and off the charts yummy. I've put on a few lbs since putting these pans into use.

You all are great! thank you!

We have several cast iron Pans. Most were very old and some very rusty pans I salvaged from somewhere at some point or other. The older quality pans usually have a smooth machined surface were some of the newer ones have a pebbly finish. In any case I sanded them down until as smooth as the cast iron would allow then wash them with soap and water dry them then and immediately oil them and slowly warm them up. but not so hot they can't be handled. I then oil them sparingly again and lay them upside down in the BBQ at 450 DEG. after 20 minutes I remove them let them cool some and re-coat with oil then return to the BBQ. I repeat this process about 3 times until I get a good stick free coating on the Pan. After that I clean only by wiping out, then wipe with a paper towel and oil before putting away. You can do the same treatment using your oven but its less smelly if you do it outside in BBQ.

To minimize sticking I rarely turn the stove past medium often much less than that Usually once it melts butter it warm enough. For eggs hamburger and ground beef I seldom go much beyond Low To Medium low. It is more than enough heat and goes a long way to prevent sticking.

We have several cast iron Pans. Most were very old and some very rusty pans I salvaged from somewhere at some point or other. The older quality pans usually have a smooth machined surface were some of the newer ones have a pebbly finish. In any case I sanded them down until as smooth as the cast iron would allow then wash them with soap and water dry them then and immediately oil them and slowly warm them up. but not so hot they can't be handled. I then oil them sparingly again and lay them upside down in the BBQ at 450 DEG. after 20 minutes I remove them let them cool some and re-coat with oil then return to the BBQ. I repeat this process about 3 times until I get a good stick free coating on the Pan. After that I clean only by wiping out, then wipe with a paper towel and oil before putting away. You can do the same treatment using your oven but its less smelly if you do it outside in BBQ.

To minimize sticking I rarely turn the stove past medium often much less than that Usually once it melts butter it warm enough. For eggs hamburger and ground beef I seldom go much beyond Low To Medium low. It is more than enough heat and goes a long way to prevent sticking.

I'm going to give that seasoning method a go. It's hard to regulate temps that precisely on the BBQ as the coals do very and taper off. I'll give er' a go in the oven and see how it goes. I've decided to bring my old Griswald out of retirement and mill it down to eliminate the high spots I've noticed, then I'll keep it for fish, as has been recommended to have a separate skillet for fish/seafood r/t the imparted flavors that may linger in the seasoning. I'll also try a lower heat for ground beef too.

I've read that once the meat is slapped into the griddle it has to be left alone for a few moments for that initial sear, or it could stick. I found this to be true. I also considered slapping them into a pan for a quick sear then moving them outside over the coals to complete the cooking. Has this ever worked for you? So far the best burgers I have made came off the grill and never saw a skillet. Maybe a good sear is not as critical for ground meats as it is for cuts of meat? I can also see how a smooth surface might be better for ground meats. I have seen two very strong followings for either finish, initially I did not care for the gritty finish but I have to say, it's growing on me pretty fast. Before I was using not only the wrong cuts and technique but obviously the wrong pans. I have to credit Youtube for having several tutorials.

Last night I did a 1.5" Tbone, it was more than enough for both wife and I. The bone-in required a couple more minutes in the skillet, I used high heat for a good sear, then on side two I dropped the heat to med/high after a sear to get to the med/rare goal and add the fist full of garlic cloves to sizzle in that bath of oil, butter and juices along side the steak. When I pulled the steak out it was just awesome, and the pan was completely clean, nothing at all stuck. The meat was done and was allowed to stand while the garlic cloves were joined by sliced baby bellas and another slap of butter which sauteed with 0 stickage as well. Quite impressive, a quick wipe and DUN! Those mushrooms seemed to soak up all the butter and juices, they were exploding with flavor. When I have the successes (after many failed attempts over the years) I get manic and giddy like a child on Xmas morning.

What type of Spatulas do you favor? I'm leaning towards picking up a soft and a rigid metal, I see some smooth rounded ones that look perfect for cast iron.

What do you use for a meat thermometer? I've been without but I think at this point if I want to up my game further I should have one.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Imma put this guidance to good use.

You sure did a lot of tantalizing writing there but the one thing I did not see was an invite to dinner :confused24:

As far as meat sticking to the grill I have always found this to occur only if you tried to turn the meat too early and this goes specially true for burgers particularly homemade ones Burgers I tend to do on a medium to low heat or the top grill. I find they just come out so much juicer that way. My steak I sear on the highest heat I can get for about a minute and flip once and do the other side. I like my steaks nicely seared on the outside but somewhere between rare and raw on the inside. I have never precooked any meat prior to putting them on the grill. Same goes for sausages lots of people like to par boil them before the grill but I don't I prefer to cook em slow over low heat usually on the rotisserie. To keep the sausages from spinning on the spit I run a shish kabob stick between to adjacent sausages at right angles

Edited by saddlebum

I agree, precooking for the grill is a no no, especially boiling sausages. The other grill technique that makes me crazy is covering the grill with foil to cook on. If you do that you might just as well fry it in a pan on the stove in the kitchen, the foil will prevent the meat from picking up any of the wonderful BBQ flavors.

You sure did a lot of tantalizing writing there but the one thing I did not see was an invite to dinner :confused24:

As far as meat sticking to the grill I have always found this to occur only if you tried to turn the meat too early and this goes specially true for burgers particularly homemade ones Burgers I tend to do on a medium to low heat or the top grill. I find they just come out so much juicer that way. My steak I sear on the highest heat I can get for about a minute and flip once and do the other side. I like my steaks nicely seared on the outside but somewhere between rare and raw on the inside. I have never precooked any meat prior to putting them on the grill. Same goes for sausages lots of people like to par boil them before the grill but I don't I prefer to cook em slow over low heat usually on the rotisserie. To keep the sausages from spinning on the spit I run a shish kabob stick between to adjacent sausages at right angles

I just brought out some more 80/20, burgers are going to happen again but I'll try a lower heat and see how she goes. I was dining with a few friends and one ordered the steak "blue" and had to pretty much insist. I used to fear the pink and had my steaks med/well to well. That is until I tried a rare one under dim light (I didn't realize) and it was so much better than my same cut cooked well. I've since been ordering med/rare to rare. I have a thing about cold food so I like it as rare s I can get it and still have it warm inside. I cant believe I wasted so many years of my life cooking meat to death. Also cant believe I wasted so many years thinking I wouldn't like sushi or sashimi. I wish I had opened my mind long ago!

Sorry, I was speaking in, as my wife would say "food porn" but I prefer to call it "dining erotica". I cant watch the cooking shows or I have to run to the kitchen and start finding things to cook, or ruin as sometimes is the unfortunate result. If I'm cooking and it's going particularly well I get giddy and animated. I snapped a shot of the saute and steak, if I can lift it off the wife's phone I'll put it up.

I agree, precooking for the grill is a no no, especially boiling sausages. The other grill technique that makes me crazy is covering the grill with foil to cook on. If you do that you might just as well fry it in a pan on the stove in the kitchen, the foil will prevent the meat from picking up any of the wonderful BBQ flavors.

I've seen the cooking with foil on the grill, and I've never understood the answer in spite of asking. I dont think meat sticking to the grill has never been a real issue when Ive cooked outside. For burgers I like to slap them right over the fire to get a good sear on each side, then move them to the non fire side to cook it out over indirect heat and hopefully get that lovely smokey flavor. Often it works but I still struggle with consist results on the grill. But I digress, I know many folks that take the grill very seriously can get more consistent and often better result than I can. I have vowed to grill at least twice a week all summer and try to up my game there too.

We are going to set up a "dirty kitchen" outside for my wife, her cooking/grilling style and mine differ quite a bit, so I'm anxious to get the authentically and maybe integrate her outside cooking style with mine to improve my results and shake things up a bit. Thanks for clarifying the no precook, it sounded good in my head but I suspected I was overthinking it. Do you grill by feel or use a meat thermometer?

mixed vegetable and baked potatoes I will wrap in foil but that's were it ends. Corn I do by leaving it in the husk presoak the whole thing in a bucket of cold water for 20 minutes than throw them on the top rack until the husk just starts to get burn marks makes for the best and juiciest corn on the cob you will ever taste. Just be careful you don't burn your fingers stripping the husk off, the silk gets really hot. When camping I bury them under a hot bed of coals you will hear them steaming when they are about done.

I just brought out some more 80/20, burgers are going to happen again but I'll try a lower heat and see how she goes. I was dining with a few friends and one ordered the steak "blue" and had to pretty much insist. I used to fear the pink and had my steaks med/well to well. That is until I tried a rare one under dim light (I didn't realize) and it was so much better than my same cut cooked well. I've since been ordering med/rare to rare. I have a thing about cold food so I like it as rare s I can get it and still have it warm inside. I cant believe I wasted so many years of my life cooking meat to death. Also cant believe I wasted so many years thinking I wouldn't like sushi or sashimi. I wish I had opened my mind long ago! Sorry, I was speaking in, as my wife would say "food porn" but I prefer to call it "dining erotica". I cant watch the cooking shows or I have to run to the kitchen and start finding things to cook, or ruin as sometimes is the unfortunate result. If I'm cooking and it's going particularly well I get giddy and animated. I snapped a shot of the saute and steak, if I can lift it off the wife's phone I'll put it up.

I've seen the cooking with foil on the grill, and I've never understood the answer in spite of asking. I dont think meat sticking to the grill has never been a real issue when Ive cooked outside. For burgers I like to slap them right over the fire to get a good sear on each side, then move them to the non fire side to cook it out over indirect heat and hopefully get that lovely smokey flavor. Often it works but I still struggle with consist results on the grill. But I digress, I know many folks that take the grill very seriously can get more consistent and often better result than I can. I have vowed to grill at least twice a week all summer and try to up my game there too.

We are going to set up a "dirty kitchen" outside for my wife, her cooking/grilling style and mine differ quite a bit, so I'm anxious to get the authentically and maybe integrate her outside cooking style with mine to improve my results and shake things up a bit. Thanks for clarifying the no precook, it sounded good in my head but I suspected I was overthinking it. Do you grill by feel or use a meat thermometer?

Growing up I would steal a slice of raw steak from the kitchen when Mom put it out for dinner or if she prepared a bowl of hamburger to be made into patties I would grab a small hand full roll it into a ball and eat like an apple as I headed out the door to deliver my papers

Edited by saddlebum

Soaking your corn before grill is nothing like boiling meat where the boiling removes much of the flavor. Soaking corn is a very proper thing to do. Yes there are some things that must be wrapped in foil to grill as there is no other way to control it. Things like sauted onions and/or mushrooms and/or some veggies, where they would otherwise just fall thru the grate of the grill and be lost in the coals. But that is still not the same as covering the whole grill and cooking the meat on the foil to to keep out the grill flavors.

Soaking your corn before grill is nothing like boiling meat where the boiling removes much of the flavor. Soaking corn is a very proper thing to do. Yes there are some things that must be wrapped in foil to grill as there is no other way to control it. Things like sauted onions and/or mushrooms and/or some veggies, where they would otherwise just fall thru the grate of the grill and be lost in the coals. But that is still not the same as covering the whole grill and cooking the meat on the foil to to keep out the grill flavors.

My ex used to boil ribs before cooking, said it made them more tender. I've never done it that way, just cook low and slow (200-225/4hrs). About all I might consider boiling first is a ham to cut down on the saltiness.

I got some ears of corn and they are going in to soak. I'm planning on doing a couple mushroom/swiss burgers today, to saute the shrooms and garlic I think I'll bring out the small skillet and toss it right onto the grill over the hot spot and saute away while the burgers cook directly on the grill just as nature intended. I wonder if the saute will take on any of the smoky flavors of the grill being in a skillet.

I've done fish on the grill by slicking it with butter then wrapping it in foil with a couple lemon wedges, pepper, salt and garlic, but only if the grill is already going for something else. That actually works pretty darn well. Open up the foil and go to it, finger food is common in the PI so we often just end eating rice with grilled meats and treating it all as finger food, I enjoy having her cooking and dining influence in my own cooking. Delicoius meats and properly cooked sticky rice, forks be damned haha!

I put garlic in everything. I learned from my wife that thing about tossing garlic cloves in with the meat to get soft and browned. I have to make sure there is enough garlic clove that every bite of steak can have a chunk of that soft cooked garlic. Dammit, now I'm hungry too.

Darn it....I'm hungry now.....thanks guys!
Sorry, I'm still trying to get some of these pics onto the PC. Edited by CaseyJ955