I just changed the oil on my '84 this past weekend. It went well but I am now reading posts about "overfilling." I thought I was being smart by filling it to its upper limit. Sounds like I was wrong.

Do all these bikes have the overfilling issue ? Looks like I will have to take the air breather apart to see if I have oil in there. I am assuming that that is the cover just inside the fuse box cover ?

Also, I see a lot of folks recommending seafoam. What is that ? A search on Google suggests there are many seafoam products available. Any recommendations ?

As usual, thanks.

I just changed the oil on my '84 this past weekend. It went well but I am now reading posts about "overfilling." I thought I was being smart by filling it to its upper limit. Sounds like I was wrong.

Do all these bikes have the overfilling issue ? Looks like I will have to take the air breather apart to see if I have oil in there. I am assuming that that is the cover just inside the fuse box cover ?

People have found that filling from 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sight glass is best on all the venture models. You may find some oil in the air box (Yes that's the cover under the faux tank cover), you may not. Most of the time it's when the engine is filled past the top of the sight glass. You may also notice some oil deposit on the left rear carb left rear cylinder head. That's where the oil gets deposited if the engine is overfilled.

Also, I see a lot of folks recommending seafoam. What is that ? A search on Google suggests there are many seafoam products available. Any recommendations ?

Seafoam Motor treatment is the one you want to use.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

As usual, thanks.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

No problems

Yes there is an issue of overfilling. There are two lines on the site glass you should be on the lower half showing when the bike is level on center stand. If not then you will get oil blowing and cruding the airfilter and other things.

Seafoam is a cleanser type thing. It works great to loosen crude in the carbs or any fuel part.

It is normally expensive in Canada but can gotten at various dealers. If you go to the Seafoam site it will show you were you can get it locally.

Myself I buy whenever I am in the US or a bud will bring some up for me when he comes to town. Its about half the price at Menards or Wallymart there.

It can also be put into the oil for a very very short time.....like minutes just before a oil change and it cleans out a lot of crude there. Dont drive much with it in the oil though.

3 years ago when i got my 84 venture it had been sitting for a year. it fired up but was real sluggish. one can of seafoam and premium gas and there was a dramatic difference.another can 2 tanks later and it ran like new and have never had the carbs off.just bought a like new rstd and immediately put in a can. tried lucas and it was alright but not as good.i get mine at auto zone, around $6.00 a can.

ride safe and be cool,thumper1

Here is the link to the Sea Foam website. http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

I use it in all my gasoline motors and have never had a issue with them. Had it in my 89 VR over the winter with premium non-oxygenated gas and it fired right off and ran like I had parked it yesterday.

If you overfilled your oil, try taking off the oil filter assemble and drain the oil out of that and that should get you close to the level you need in the motor.

Rick F.