IGNORED

Jumps out of 2nd gear

When you ready to put the engine back in, take the rear differential out first. This makes it a lot easier to get the driveshaft hooked up. You will also need to grease the splines on the driveshaft and inside the rear wheel hub if you have not been doing that during tire changes. Good luck on your project and we wish you luck. You will really enjoy the bike more than ever when you can do a WOT run thru the first three gears.

If you have any questions, look for my cell number in the members section and give me a call.

Two other things to consider is checking the valve clearances while the engine is out and installing solid motor mounts.

RandyA

Thanks for the tip on the TCI, I will look-up the previous posts. I did the valves less than 10,000 miles ago so I am going to leave them alone, they should be good yet. Won't the solid mounts cause more vibration? What is the advantage of the solid mounts? Thanks for all of your input! Tim

I just put in the solid Delrin mounts from Blue Mountain (one of our sponsors, see link in the banner at the top of the page), can't really tell any difference in vibration, but I'll tell you this. This bike has never handled better, especially in the wind we rode in on Friday and partly on Sunday. Even with the head bearings working loose (brand new, ya gotta adjust them a couple of times), it never wobbled once due to the wind or the road. I can really feel a difference in the stiffness of the frame. Well worth it.

Dan

Thanks for the solid mount info. I am a car guy and equate solid mounts with vibration but didn't think of the fact that the engine also keeps the frame rigid on a cycle. I really appreciate all of your help and comments. Tim

I have it together and it works great! It has been years since I have had second gear and it's fantastic to have that nice pull back! My machinist friend and I set up and cut both 2nd and 3rd gears on a CNC machining center. It took some time to make holding fixtures and to program the correct angles and arcs but once we had it set the machining worked great, the engagement dogs now align perfectly. I think the gears are far better than new. I have attached many pictures again and I can't thank all of you enough. I saved a lot of dollars and the job ended up better than if I would have used new parts. Thanks for the shop manual and owners manual links and all of your input. The bike has never worked or ran better. THANK YOU! Tim

:cool10:

http://photobucket.com/blueblood77