IGNORED

Help sourcing parts for a crash rebuild. Honda VTX 1300

luvmy40

My oldest Daughter's in laws were recently involved in a low speed, head on collision with a car. They are both recovering. OK would be an exaggeration. They will be be OK in a few months.

Their son and I would like to fix their 2006 Honda VTX 1300 for them. We need a complete front end. Fork tubes, triple trees, fender, front wheel, etc.

If anyone has a line on any parts on the cheap for this, I'd really appreciate a heads up.

Been out of the restores for a bit but it used to be that the metric scoot necks/steer stems were pretty much interchangable one scoot to another. A little digging research may show you could swap on a front end off a Vulcan or Intruder or even another VTX of different size if you wanted (may require steer stem bearing swaps) = be warned though that HD uses a larger stem and non interchangable = otherwise even a Sporty front end would work. Simple as pulling the stem nuts, dropping the front end and sliding on a different front end. There was always a "standard" in OEM fork height/length = 30 inches from center of axle to top of triple tree comes to mind so fork height may even be completely interchangable. Get the whole thing as a set and you wont have to worry about tube diameters and all that = just note what bike it came off from for future parts purchases.

There are numerous bike yards around, I may be able to find my rolodex somewhere from my shop desk of yesteryear that had lists of them if you need some names but I am sure google would work nowadays. Also, if you look in a current Auto-RV in the crashed car section, some of those yards list totalled bikes and not all the totaled scoots have twisted front ends.. In our area (Grand Rapids) there is a big yard that has TONS of scoots and they advertise in Auto Trader occasionally.

Just some thoughts 40..

Glad those In-Laws of your daughters are ok brother!! All the best in getting the VTX back on its feet while they work on healing of their own!

Puc