IGNORED

The SKY WATCHER Story,

Condor

So I’m sure a lot of the members…if not all… do not know that one of my many eclectic interests is chasing planets. I pick up all of my telescopes out of auctions ‘cause I can’t afford anything over the counter new. So about three years ago I picked up an 8” Dobsonian Sky Watcher at auction for $43 bucks.. New in the box. The problem was it didn’t have a base, so contacted Sky Watcher and bought a base for $125. Felt pretty good about getting a new $550 scope for less than $200. Then about 3 months ago I picked up one of Sky Watcher’s collapsible 8” Dobsonian’s. Again, at auction, and this time for around $80 bucks. Same deal, no base, but I had an 8” base. :thumbsup2: The Flex-Tube scope… that’s what Sky Watcher calls it… retails for $695. Then last month a Sky Watcher base, that is motorized and computerized, pops up and I go for it. Spent way more than I should have, but it was one of those ‘gotta have it’ moments. However, the power bases retail for $700 bucks and I got this one for $250 bucks. Got it home and put it together. Alas, poor Yoric… it was for a 10” Dobsonian, not the 8"… The mighty Casey had struck out… So just yesterday up pops 10 ea. Complete Sky Watcher 10” Dob’s., and after a flurry of bidding I got one for $180 bucks. They were the classic’s (non-Flex-Tube), but one would slide into the 10” flex power base. Haven’t picked it up yet, but looking forward to adapting a classic 10” onto a 10” flex power base… Hey, it’ll be entertaining…. I’ll add some pics when they are assembled and ready to go chasing planets… Maybe even some pic's of a planet or two??

Jack I hope you don't find Pucsatonia. That little pace where the Pucster is from. He may start :crying: to go home like ET and flood the Midwest again. :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

:stirthepot: lop eared trouble makin varmint!! Leave my homeland out of it will ya!! Jacks got enough excitement in his life without go looking for Pucsatonia!! :happy34:

Hey Jack,, betcha that set up would be a RIOT up in the Sierra Nevada's on a non Moonlit night!!!!!! :happy65:

:stirthepot: lop eared trouble makin varmint!! Leave my homeland out of it will ya!! Jacks got enough excitement in his life without go looking for Pucsatonia!! :happy34:

Hey Jack,, betcha that set up would be a RIOT up in the Sierra Nevada's on a non Moonlit night!!!!!! :happy65:

Think what it would be like in the parking lot of the Mt Hood Lodge.. I grew up in L.A. and the first time I saw the Milky Way on a dark night during a water skiing trip down by Parker,AZ on the Colorado River I was hooked.... The most amazing thing I'd ever seen...

I just unpacked the 10" Dob, and Holy Moly it's heavy... and big!! Now I see why they aren't very popular.. :-) But I bet it'll take great pics...for an amateur... Maybe someday a lighter flex tube 10" will show up in an auction?? Now I gotta go re-read the manual in order to pull the mirror so I can modify the side mounts.... Sign!!... it never ends...

220px-Milky_Way_Night_Sky_Black_Rock_Desert_Nevada.jpg