IGNORED

Gotta Luv 36 year old plastic!

luvmy40

Once again, more plastic broke in re-assembly! I finally got everything back together on The Beast after installing skydoc_17's delinking brake line kit and of course, I busted a mounting tab off of the right side main fairing. The one that the lower fairing mounts up to. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fix this one.

I also had a weird thing happen and I pulled a really stupid, bone head move as well.

I took her out for a short shake down run. About 8 miles round trip to my favorite craft brew supplier. When I pulled into the store parking lot, the front fender was dancing around and making a horrible racket. My first thought was that I forgot to tighten the mounting bolts. Nope, all tight. I have no idea what happened but the "chrome"(plastic) extender on the rear of the front fender was busted half off and rubbing on the side of the tire. The fender it's self is cracked about 6 inches up from the back end. I'll definitely need a new fender.

And now for the bone head move.

Somehow, in my excitement to get everything finished I failed to notice the rear brake line was touching the #3 exhaust header.

The brakes worked perfectly right up until I pulled back into my driveway. The pedal lost pressure and I was engulfed in a cloud of smoke.

I'm an idiot.

Once again, more plastic broke in re-assembly! I finally got everything back together on The Beast after installing skydoc_17's delinking brake line kit and of course, I busted a mounting tab off of the right side main fairing. The one that the lower fairing mounts up to. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fix this one.

I also had a weird thing happen and I pulled a really stupid, bone head move as well.

I took her out for a short shake down run. About 8 miles round trip to my favorite craft brew supplier. When I pulled into the store parking lot, the front fender was dancing around and making a horrible racket. My first thought was that I forgot to tighten the mounting bolts. Nope, all tight. I have no idea what happened but the "chrome"(plastic) extender on the rear of the front fender was busted half off and rubbing on the side of the tire. The fender it's self is cracked about 6 inches up from the back end. I'll definitely need a new fender.

And now for the bone head move.

Somehow, in my excitement to get everything finished I failed to notice the rear brake line was touching the #3 exhaust header.

The brakes worked perfectly right up until I pulled back into my driveway. The pedal lost pressure and I was engulfed in a cloud of smoke.

I'm an idiot.

Damn someone looking out for ya tho!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

well I don't know how to display a old thread. But if you go to watering hole 2nd or 3 page reference installing flanders and risers the 4th post. That plastic works great, fixed hole where piece was missing. Its kind of pricy but you can make tabs on abs. I used 1 inch plastic to push both plungers. The gun was more than I wanted to spend. The only way I will fix abs from now on

well I don't know how to display a old thread. But if you go to watering hole 2nd or 3 page reference installing flanders and risers the 4th post. That plastic works great, fixed hole where piece was missing. Its kind of pricy but you can make tabs on abs. I used 1 inch plastic to push both plungers. The gun was more than I wanted to spend. The only way I will fix abs from now on

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?139979-installing-flanders-and-1-5-quot-risers&highlight=flanders

I broke that same tab off, was no big deal to fix. I just cut out a new one from some scrap ABS sheet that I had laying around and glued it on with ABS pipe cement and reinforced with some fiberglass cloth applied with the ABS pipe cement. Was ready to mount after drying over night.

In some locations, they used what I call "top hat" washers or spacers. These were designed to put all of the torque on the washer itself and none on the plastic tabs. Check the exploded view to see if there is supposed to be one of them where the tab got cracked. Generally, if the hole is bigger than the bolt size there should be one of those spacers there, not a flat washer...