IGNORED

To salt or not to salt - this is the ?.. Does your area use salt on the roads?

cowpuc

Feeling a little better these days and thinking seriously of grabbing an older 4x4 Jeep or P.U. for Tip and I to toss the guns and gear in and go thrash around on in the thousands of acres that we own (State and Federal lands) for some shootin and hootin fun. Michigan has a Historic Plate deal they offer (have ran em on my bikes for years) that are good for many years (cheap insurance too) and I gotta stay under 1994 to run em.

The REAL downside of finding something worthy is that Michigan is a salty State (better than dieing on icey roads!!) which REALLY takes its toll on our vehicles. For that reason, I am trying to figure out some from of boundry line to the south (or west, or east) of us where salt is not used on roads so I can jump on Craigs and begin the search for a rust free, older 4x4.

How about it neighbors to Michigan? Who out there can vouch for your area that no-sir-eeee = no salt on our roads and rust issues are a minimum???

It's us, or rust..

Puc

when I was in ok by the ten killer state park. There were a lot of older trucks on the road that looked like good old stock no rust holes. Down in Arizona they thought there gold. There is a older jeep pickup on facebook for sell here in town. But they want 4500.00 and it don't run......

Here in Wisconsin, our roads are white with salt. Kinda hard to argue with the logic since a few days ago we had freezing rain which coated everything with ice. I used up the last of my salt on my driveway after which I had to scrape with a shovel to break off a half inch of shiny ice. Right after that, we got another several inches of snow. Stores are all sold out of salt and ice scrapers.

zag

A long, long time ago

I can still remember

Living in Colorado Springs. At that time. Colorado, or at least the Colorado Springs and greater Denver areas did not use salt on the roads. They spread sand or cinders. They also required you to have tire chains in the vehicle at all times in the winter months and then would post mandates of chains on the tires during bad weather.

I don't remember having any real issues with driving on icy roads then and there. The older trucks in Colorado back then were certainly in better shape than their Ohio counter parts.

BTW,

There is a thriving industry in Ohio importing older pick ups from southern states. FireBall Motors is one of the bigger operations in my area. They specialize in clean, '80s and '90s vintage 4x4s under $10K

https://www.fireballtrucks.com/

Edited by luvmy40
added link

A long, long time ago

I can still remember

Living in Colorado Springs. At that time. Colorado, or at least the Colorado Springs and greater Denver areas did not use salt on the roads. They spread sand or cinders. They also required you to have tire chains in the vehicle at all times in the winter months and then would post mandates of chains on the tires during bad weather.

I don't remember having any real issues with driving on icy roads then and there. The older trucks in Colorado back then were certainly in better shape than their Ohio counter parts.

BTW,

There is a thriving industry in Ohio importing older pick ups from southern states. FireBall Motors is one of the bigger operations in my area. They specialize in clean, '80s and '90s vintage 4x4s under $10K

https://www.fireballtrucks.com/

I KNEW I could count on you varmints!! THANKS GUYS!

And 40, THANK YOU for the link!! Just what the doctor ordered brother!!:thumbsup: Maybe visit that place while we are down in Ohio for Maintenance Day!!:dancefool:

How about it neighbors to Michigan? Who out there can vouch for your area that no-sir-eeee = no salt on our roads and rust issues are a minimum???

It's us, or rust..

Puc

Be careful you don't find something that is sand-blasted from a dry area. Buddy picked up a clean '80s Chevy K20 in Texas and brought it back up here to have it rust-out in 2yrs flat. The whole underside was sand-blasted and rust took hold from the day he got it up here.

I remember my Uncle talking about how IHC scouts were pretty much delivered as rust-buckets new since they stored the steel outside before it was stamped.

This place is in Kerrville Tx. https://wagonmaster.com/

They are VERY proud of their restorations. Always a lot of inventory when ever I drive by. I could check out anything you might see there that catches your eye Puc.

Sadly, that's just going rates for Full Size Jeeps now...the Wagoneer & Grand Wagoneer have become the "Retro Rancher Cool" vehicle to have. I've even seen clean, low mileage 90's XJ Cherokees hitting $15-$20k.

Yea...we had an old 53 Chrysler that finally wouldn't pass inspection back in the late 50's in New Hampshire. I used to get a kick out of going somewhere with my dad and I could look down and watch the road go by. Big hole in floor. Of course, that car got it's start in ohio, then went to Alaska for 2 years then shipped to Guam for 2 years, then lastly to New Hampshire. Semi-auto trannie...shifted into gear then let foot off of gas for it to shift. I learned to drive in that car....

I would keep my eye out for ya Pucster, but anything 4x4 is gold down here. I've been looking at a used 2016 or 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with trailer package and they are about $4k MORE EXPENSIVE THEN UP NORTH! I may have to do a road trip on scoot and tow the scoot back behind a new to me truck!

Yea...we had an old 53 Chrysler that finally wouldn't pass inspection back in the late 50's in New Hampshire. I used to get a kick out of going somewhere with my dad and I could look down and watch the road go by. Big hole in floor. Of course, that car got it's start in ohio, then went to Alaska for 2 years then shipped to Guam for 2 years, then lastly to New Hampshire. Semi-auto trannie...shifted into gear then let foot off of gas for it to shift. I learned to drive in that car....

I would keep my eye out for ya Pucster, but anything 4x4 is gold down here. I've been looking at a used 2016 or 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with trailer package and they are about $4k MORE EXPENSIVE THEN UP NORTH! I may have to do a road trip on scoot and tow the scoot back behind a new to me truck!

I currently have a bug buzzin in my ear about this one: https://battlecreek.craigslist.org/cto/d/battle-creek-1990-suzuki-jimny/6817290226.html

Cool thing is, it located about 5 miles from Birdies (my 2 year old Grandson's place) so we could stop by and show the little feller what his Grandpappies got in store when he comes to stay over night with us this summer:big-grin-emoticon:

Doing research on parts availability and so and so forth as I type here..:thumbsup:

Do some research about 4 wheeling with it. A friend has a US version and says he wouldn't do serious 4 wheeling with it as he felt it was to tippy...Similar to the old Bronco 2. That said, my in laws had an older Bronco 2 and went all over Arizona and never once tipped over. I mean they climbed mountains with that thing!

So who knows...that little Suzuki could be perfect for tooling off into the woods....CTFW, 4x4 style!

Scott,

If you really want something cheap but needs some frame work from rust....I found this across the pond from you...

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1J4FA49SXYP750568

Wondering with all the talent we have on the forum if you couldn't get some help with this. Would it be even worth looking into? Don't know....I'm an Arizona guy. The only rust we get on cars here are cars that come down here with rust already on them....

Edited by videoarizona
added a thought

Scott,

If you really want something cheap but needs some frame work from rust....I found this across the pond from you...

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1J4FA49SXYP750568

Wondering with all the talent we have on the forum if you couldn't get some help with this. Would it be even worth looking into? Don't know....I'm an Arizona guy. The only rust we get on cars here are cars that come down here with rust already on them....

Problem with rehabbing rust is,, its sort of like the difference between choosing to fully remodel an old run down, water damaged home or just building new. That rust gets into EVERYTHING Vaz,, what starts as a frame repair ends up including anything made of steel (like brake lines, fuel tanks, body panels).. Besides, I am REALLY not looking for something to work on,, at this point in lifes journey, I am looking for ways to get OUT of work :crackup: and just enjoy the glorious days of retirement:checkeredflag:

$4K for a high mileage, rusted out, 20 year old car is not cheap. $4K is about what it would be worth if it did not have any rust and lower mileage.

In the pics it looked like most of the holes were in the body mounts. A real PITA to fix. It requires taking the whole body off the frame to be able to get at it to fix it right.

As for salt, so far the city has already used 750,000 TONS of the 1 million TONS of salt that they bought for this whole winter. We are in a weather pattern of snow every other day for the foreseeable future. They have already started mixing salt and sand 40-60 to stretch the salt out longer.

Problem with rehabbing rust is,, its sort of like the difference between choosing to fully remodel an old run down, water damaged home or just building new. That rust gets into EVERYTHING Vaz,, what starts as a frame repair ends up including anything made of steel (like brake lines, fuel tanks, body panels).. Besides, I am REALLY not looking for something to work on,, at this point in lifes journey, I am looking for ways to get OUT of work :crackup: and just enjoy the glorious days of retirement:checkeredflag:

Agreed! Well...in that case...come on down and look around here! I have room...hint...

:beer:

As for salt, so far the city has already used 750,000 TONS of the 1 million TONS of salt that they bought for this whole winter. We are in a weather pattern of snow every other day for the foreseeable future. They have already started mixing salt and sand 40-60 to stretch the salt out longer.

Dear World:

The above is just Fool's way of saying,, LOOK OUT WORLD, I AM ABOUT TO LIGHTEN THE REINS ON THE WISCONSIN WHITE WASHER ONE MORE TIME,, PREPARE TO DEFEND YOURSELVES!! :witch_brew::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::cold:

Dear World:

The above is just Fool's way of saying,, LOOK OUT WORLD, I AM ABOUT TO LIGHTEN THE REINS ON THE WISCONSIN WHITE WASHER ONE MORE TIME,, PREPARE TO DEFEND YOURSELVES!! :witch_brew::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::cold:

Who ME???

WI White Washer.gif

I figure that if I can get them to use up all the salt then they can not put any more down to try to improve my gas mileage thru chemical weight reduction.