IGNORED

Anyone had experience with this heater?

Chaharly

I gotta get stuff done to the bike before spring hits and with it being 15 degrees I dont think its going to be very fun tearing the starter clutch out of my bike! I've got a little 1 car (which probably couldn't fit my pickup) garage so I dont need much for heat and I see this on sale for 100 bucks delivered to my door.

Should I pull the trigger? The reviews seem generally positive

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyna-Glo-Delux-RMC-FA60DGD-30-000-60-000-BTU-LP-Forced-Air-Heater/15047731?athcpid=15047731&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=4bbf4d32-247-168db513252d96&athena=true

I know I'd like a diesel one more, but they're about another 80 or 90 bucks minimum

Living in Michigan and dealing with the likes of FlyinFool and his WWW for many years now, I have had tried different types torpedo heaters to meet the same daunting needs Cha. While I don't know your areas weather stats, I do know that in our area a smaller heater like that is basically a waste of cash. I have a 170000 BTU Kerosene model that is a multi fueler. I have used it for everything from thawing pipes, working on cars and stuff outside, heating the house for a short spell during furnace repairs, convincing tires that refuse to stretch over a wheel by heating them up that they dont wanna play such games and on and on. Plainly, the smaller units just can't compete in OUR enviroment. Looking back at the different things I have tried in my endeavor to stay warm, I can honestly say that I probably should have just saved my pennies right at the beginning and went big.

Another thought, expeirence has also taught me that when using my unit to pre-heat our garage for winter work fun, I will open the garage door to the height of the heater, such outside air into the heater, turn it on and let it run for a 1/2 hour or so and even in the coldest of tempts outside, the inside of the garage will become VERY comfortable and I can shut the unit down - close the door and go to work. It does not matter which type you by, you want to be careful about working in an enclosed area with no fresh air for any length of time. Carbon Monoxide is really nasty stuff and, even though you cant smell it or see it,, it is there and can take your life. Even if you go with the propane, I admonish you to make sure you source fresh air on the input of your machine.

Puc

I have a 45,000 BTU heater that goes on top of a propane tank. I like Puc said open the door about a foot and let it run a while and then I can do the work that needs to be done. I heat a 14 x28 uninsulated building with it and have used it in the house a few times. Good luck on your project.

I gotta get stuff done to the bike before spring hits and with it being 15 degrees I dont think its going to be very fun tearing the starter clutch out of my bike! I've got a little 1 car (which probably couldn't fit my pickup) garage so I dont need much for heat and I see this on sale for 100 bucks delivered to my door.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyna-Glo-Delux-RMC-FA60DGD-30-000-60-000-BTU-LP-Forced-Air-Heater/15047731?athcpid=15047731&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=4bbf4d32-247-168db513252d96&athena=true

I know I'd like a diesel one more, but they're about another 80 or 90 bucks minimum

Way more than you need. Get a 22k BTU kerosene heater and a fan to blow over it. That's all I use in a large two car garage and it gets toasty.

:farmer:

While not that particular brand, I have owned 2 of these over the years. First one I used mostly for tailgating at college football games. It was a rather large one and ended up selling it and got a smaller one for my garage 4 or 5 years ago.

They work pretty good. Need plenty of ventilation. I usually keep my garage door about halfway up when using it. and just have it pointed in the general direction I am working.

I have had it running as long as 8 or 10 hours in a day and haven't passed out yet. :) Mine will go maybe 12 hours or so on a filled 30lb tank.

I have a small propane torpedo heater That I have used for heating a 2 car garage enough to thaw out several deer that were frozen solid. It only took it a half hour to chase me out of the garage from the heat. I will have to look at it to see what its btu rating is.

I also have a 30,000 2 burner radiant heater that mounts to the top of the propane tank. That one work great for use outdoors as it is not trying to heat the air, it is the IR that is heating me.

I used to have a 250,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater that I rigged up with a thermostat so it could maintain a temp over long periods of time. When I ran that in a 2 car garage with outside temps near zero F. It would cycle on for 5 minutes and then off for a half hour to keep the temp a steady 65°F. I kept the over head door cracked 3.5 inches (a 2x4 on edge) for ventilation and that was plenty. It was only cold to lay on the floor under a car. because the cold air coming in under the door would hug the floor. When I eventually added a small cheap ceiling fan that helped a LOT. I found out that it was 30°F at the floor and nearly 100°F at the peak of the roof. The fan kept it all close to the same temp.

It is also very well worth the money to get a GOOD CO detector that has a readout to tell you what the actual level is, as well as an O2 detector to keep track of the oxygen level. A heater with a flame that does not have an outside exhaust have use up all the oxygen in a garage and has a similar effect to CO poisoning, You don't know you have an issue until it is 2 late. Some heater have a built in shutoff that will put out the fire if the O2 levels get low. NOT all have this and I do not know if I trust it.

Edited by Flyinfool

I built a small garage just to house a 69 Chevelle project, with the intention of working on it in said garage. I'd installed 2 - 8' electric baseboards to keep it above freezing, and a hanging gas heater for quicker heat.

As it turned out, the electrics do the trick and I've never needed the gas heat.

Electric is safe, and needs no propane refills.

Baseboards are easy to install if you don't have to run miles of wire.

If getting power to it is an issue, then I'd agree with everyone else. :2cents:

While I agree with Puc on getting a more macho, multi fuel one, we're looking at almost doubling the price. They cut overtime down so I'm scrapped for cash and its been hard finding a used one. The one thing that makes this heater look like it'll work for me is the size of my garage

garage.jpg

I guess I'm not sure how to rotate it but you get the point. Its got the garage door and a walk in door that you can see in the pic so ventilation shouldn't really be an issue. Notice my pit? lol

Like I said its a small area but now I'm more confused than ever on what to buy

I looked at my propane heater and it is a Remington brand 30,000 - 55,000 btu. What is nice with propane or natural gas or electric, it don't stink. Kero or diesel both stink.

Of course there are always options and what is/was best for one person may not be at all appropriate for another persons situation.

Safety is always appropriate no matter which road you choose.

PROPANE CONSTRUCTION HEATER

The heater is designed and approved for use as a construction heater under ANS Z83.7 CSA 2.14. It is hard to anticipate every use which may be made of this heater. CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL FIRE SAFETY AUTHORITY IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT APPLICATIONS. DYNA-GLO PROPANE FORCED AIR CONSTRUCTION HEATERS This is a direct-fired forced air construction heater for either indoor construction or outdoor use. Its intended use is primarily the temporary heating of buildings or structures under construction, alteration or repair. All the products of combustion generated by the heater are forced through the heater and released into the area being heated. This heater operates at approximately 98%+ combustion efficiency but still produces a small amount of carbon monoxide. Humans can tolerate small amounts of carbon monoxide for short periods. Carbon monoxide can build up in a heated space and failure to provide adequate ventilation could result in poisoning or death. PROPANE CONSTRUCTION HEATER 3 4 Other standards govern the use of fuel gases and heat producing products in specific applications. Your local authority can advise you about these. IMPORTANT: READ THIS USER’S MANUAL CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY BEFORE TRYING TO OPERATE OR SERVICE THIS HEATER. IMPROPER USE OF THIS HEATER CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH FROM FIRE, EXPLOSION AND CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING.

The SDS sheet is here : http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/manuals/gas-forced-air/LPFADGD(EN)_2015.pdf

So the 98+% is good but I would add a CO2 detector. I would also crack the window open a couple of inches depending on wind. It is better to have the fresh air/cold air falling towards the unit.

Some of these gas units have such a sensor built in that will automatically shut down if CO2 levels get high.

The way I do it in my very large double with 12’ ceiling is to pre heat the vehicles overnight then I’m able to lower the output of the unit this way.

I don’t keep the garage door open at all as I’m often on the floor where the cold flow is.

Add the safety detector and wrench on

While I agree with Puc on getting a more macho, multi fuel one, we're looking at almost doubling the price. They cut overtime down so I'm scrapped for cash and its been hard finding a used one. The one thing that makes this heater look like it'll work for me is the size of my garage

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115481

I guess I'm not sure how to rotate it but you get the point. Its got the garage door and a walk in door that you can see in the pic so ventilation shouldn't really be an issue. Notice my pit? lol

Like I said its a small area but now I'm more confused than ever on what to buy

From my vantage point after having done everything from brake jobs to engine rebuilds outside in the winter time what you have going there is a DREAM COME TRUE Cha!! Given, I am talking about years ago before I was married, had a family and added on my first garage so Tippy could pull the van in during the winter months, I still clearly remember those days and would relive them again in a heartbeat!! I might add to this discussion that a decent 170k BTU kerosene flame thrower REALLY works nice if ya gotta do any of that type of thing by just tossing tarp over the car and making sort of lean to out of it to catch some heat, even in sub zero temps! Even i for garage work it only takes a few minutes of run time with the garage door open enough to clear the backside of the torpedo sticking out it to bring the whole garage up to summer time tempt then ya shut it off, close the door and go to work. Work in CarHarts and by the time you noticed its gotten to cold it will be dinner time..

Now all that means NOTHING if this is all about affordability. BELIEVE ME,, I UNDERSTAND THAT TOO!! In that case, you gotta do what cha gotta do brother!! Grab one of those little propane units, maybe put a house fan or two around to move some air,,, even staple some cheap tarps or plastic to those rafters to hold the heat in if its to cold.. What ever it takes to get that scoot ready for spring because, as you and I both know,,, we got FlyinFool and his infernal machine on the ropes and SPRING IS COMING:biker:!!

In the end ya gotta remember,,, if your fingers fall off cause of frost bite ya got while rebuilding your scoot - they aint gonna do ya no good for clutch pullin or throttle twistin come summer!!! Get the one ya can afford and get er done Cha, THAT is what I would do!!! :happy34:

I remember those old kerosene flame throwers....they do work. My FIL helped me rebuild my Austin Healey Bugeye motor in his garage. We had to take out the drive shaft (in a tunnel), then the trannie and motor came out the bonnet with a lift. In the dead of winter in a garage in Denver Colorado. I was warm working on that car...

BUT, nowadays, I would go with a non flame thrower...just cause I couldn't breathe the fumes any more...allergies!

I've used the portable Mr. Heater for about 10 years now in the sailboat for our winter weekends. It works. Keeps us warm even below freezing temps!

I like that it has a shut off safeties as well...I kick it on high for about 20 minutes then down on low until I get the coffee going. Gets toasty.

Might be just enough heat to keep you comfortable.....not hot...but warm enough I would think in the garage. Don't know for sure...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-9-000-BTU-Radiant-Propane-Portable-Heater-F232000/205527178

ive used confection, bullet propane heaters, little milk house type. Waisted quite a bit of money on this stuff. Well I broke down and installed a electric hanging heater. was surprised that I could leave it on full time and heat my 2.5 garage insulated for 50.00 a month and that's with a dog door. I have it warm enough you don't need a coat just long sleeves. payed 150.00 for heater, had the 8ga wire already bought the circuit breaker. wish I would have done this first would have saved 100.s 1543100523144 (408x306).jpg save wasting your time one and done.

I wouldn't mind running a heavier duty electric heater, but I rent this apartment and I'm not sure if the land lord would be willing to let me wire something in. Off the the right side of the garage is how I get into my apartment so I've got a basement apartment/garage combo for 350 a month everything included!

So now I've got all these options. Think they'll let me take them home and try em out for a day or two? lol