IGNORED

Puc and Tips: Fun With Guns thread! Sharing ours and hopefully you will share yours!

cowpuc

Now that is cool. Reminds me of a spagetti western with Lee Van Cleif shooting over his horses saddle. Now while on the rifle/revolver subject, a local dealer has a 1902 Luger .30 cal. with stock and long barrel called a carbine. Absolutely gorgeous by the pics. The listing price is $13,999.00. I think I may buy it...not.:no-no-no:

:farmer:

:clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::Laugh:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new2me play toy. Just picked this un-fired black powder shoulder stocked 1858 Army out of a Wyoming auction. Kinda fits in between the rifle revolver, and the buffalo gun. Makes a nice set... The shoulder stock will fit on any of the SAA reproductions. Even the Buffalo.... :thumbsup2:

:scared:,, OUTSTANDING BROTHER = JUST GORGEOUS!!:thumbsup:

The winning ticket was bought in the Milwaukee WI area. I better go check my numbers.........

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Laying in bed this morning watching the news before getting up and heading to go hear our President speak in Grand Rapids Mi and heard that someone in Wisconsin won the big one!! Rolled over, shook Tippy and yelled in her ear; HE DID IT!! MY VERY BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD DID!! She jumped up and what what what what? I said they just announced the winner of the BIG MONEY, it was someone who bought a ticket in Wisconsin and I KNOW who bought a ticket in Wisconsin = @Flyinfool,, my best friend in the whole wide world is a MULTI MILLIONAIRE!!!:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Laying in bed this morning watching the news before getting up and heading to go hear our President speak in Grand Rapids Mi and heard that someone in Wisconsin won the big one!! Rolled over, shook Tippy and yelled in her ear; HE DID IT!! MY VERY BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD DID!! She jumped up and what what what what? I said they just announced the winner of the BIG MONEY, it was someone who bought a ticket in Wisconsin and I KNOW who bought a ticket in Wisconsin = Flyinfool,, my best friend in the whole wide world is a MULTI MILLIONAIRE!!!:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

Tel my president that I support him and have his back.

Just got this in from our lop eared varmint friend Sly,, she's a dandy, down right AWESOME IMHO but, WOWZY WOW WOW WOW :scared:,, wait till Sly tells us about the price on this puppy!!! Cant wait to find out whether or not that varmint bought me one of these when he picked his up :fingers-crossed-emo:big-grin-emoticon:

from sly2.jpg

Just got this in from our lop eared varmint friend Sly,, she's a dandy, down right AWESOME IMHO but, WOWZY WOW WOW WOW :scared:,, wait till Sly tells us about the price on this puppy!!! Cant wait to find out whether or not that varmint bought me one of these when he picked his up :fingers-crossed-emo:big-grin-emoticon:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115892

Thank you for posting this, Puc. This 7.65X21 Luger is for sale at Hyatt Gun Store in Charlotte, NC and can be had for the rediculous low price of $13,999.00. I talked to Larry Hyatt about finding another like this. That way I could follow my boyhood dreams of being Hoppy or Roy with two guns.

Thank you for posting this, Puc. This 7.65X21 Luger is for sale at Hyatt Gun Store in Charlotte, NC and can be had for the rediculous low price of $13,999.00. I talked to Larry Hyatt about finding another like this. That way I could follow my boyhood dreams of being Hoppy or Roy with two guns.

:97: Mornin Sly :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

That shooter is a beautiful thing to look at first thing in the mornin aint it? JUST GORGEOUS!!! Hope Larry is able to find ya one brother:missingtooth:!!

That price is in full auto country - you know, one of those shooters that require shipment to a class 3 guy.. Makes me wonder if that piece may be full auto capable :scared:or is the price just indicative of it's rarity ya think? Either way,, SHE IS A DANDY!!!

Wish I was loaded like my Uncle Sly is :mo money:,, I'd have me a full auto Tommy Gun with a drum feed for it so my California Son-In-Laws coming for the wedding in June would get to experience a real "Full Auto Bachlor's Party" :Laugh:.. I can handle the transfer fee and the long wait for the ATF to approve my having one,,, it's the $15000 purchase price that gets in the way:crying:..

Your welcome on the pic posting Sly, and THANK YOU for sharing with us!!

Puc

Well heck, as long as were tossing videos around here's one that will probably

put that $13,999 in the chump change catagory.

I think it's coming up to auction in May...

Yes you are right Condor, the Dragoon is certainly in the six to seven figures. But not a shooter like the Luger. I would shoot the Luger but never a work of art. Absolutely gorgeous!

Yes you are right Condor, the Dragoon is certainly in the six to seven figures. But not a shooter like the Luger. I would shoot the Luger but never a work of art. Absolutely gorgeous!

I guess if I could easily come up with the Lugar bucks, and it didn't break the bank, I'd shoot it too... MOF I'm no Luger expert but the shoulder stock looks like it was added, and not original. Most of the Broom Handles I've seen, the stock is much more 'distressed'...and the wood looks like it came from pallets??? 'Course I could be wrong...again...:-)

I guess if I could easily come up with the Lugar bucks, and it didn't break the bank, I'd shoot it too... MOF I'm no Luger expert but the shoulder stock looks like it was added, and not original. Most of the Broom Handles I've seen, the stock is much more 'distressed'...and the wood looks like it came from pallets??? 'Course I could be wrong...again...:-)

The Luger was built as a commercial firearm and not for military use, therefore the quality. And in the publication it is an all numbers matching including the butt stock. I am like you when it comes to money...I don't have what it would take to buy it.:mo money: It is a consignment sale for obviously a serious collector.

LOL.... I'm serious...just not that serious..... :Laugh: I have a NIB set of Ruger Black Hawk Buckeye's that I'll take $35,000 for.... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I bet you would. I don't recall when Ruger made the Buckeye but I believe they were .32-20. The Blackhawk is a great revolver platform and they point well.

Did a research on the Buckeye and although I knew they were named for Ohio, I didn't know they were made exclusive for a sporting company. And I didn't know they came in .38-40 & 10mm. in a convertable and the .32-20 came in a convertable with the .32 magnum. Very interesting. And there were less than 1,000 produced in the later 80's and early 90's. Certainly collectable.

I bet you would. I don't recall when Ruger made the Buckeye but I believe they were .32-20. The Blackhawk is a great revolver platform and they point well.

They go beyond that... The 'Buckeye Specials' were a special order by Buckeye Supply in Ohio..hence the 'Buckeye'. The were an up-grade with all steel parts, no alloy, and made in 1988/1989. The report is that they made 5,000 combos in 32-20/32 H&R mag. Then Buckeye offered any one who bought the first Buckeye's could order a second combo with the identical serial number in 38-40/10mm.. Not consecutive, but matching.. So a few things need to happen before a set with both Buckeye's, with the same serial number, unfired and still NIB can happen. It makes them rarer than chicken lips. I've never seen another set advertised. Non-matching S/N's, yes. Fired singles, yes, but never a matching SN set, NIB. Yeah, $35,000 was tongue in cheek, but to a Ruger Collector they should be pretty damn valuable. Same thing with that Luger although they made millions of them. How many are left??

They go beyond that... The 'Buckeye Specials' were a special order by Buckeye Supply in Ohio..hence the 'Buckeye'. The were an up-grade with all steel parts, no alloy, and made in 1988/1989. The report is that they made 5,000 combos in 32-20/32 H&R mag. Then Buckeye offered any one who bought the first Buckeye's could order a second combo with the identical serial number in 38-40/10mm.. Not consecutive, but matching.. So a few things need to happen before a set with both Buckeye's, with the same serial number, unfired and still NIB can happen. It makes them rarer than chicken lips. I've never seen another set advertised. Non-matching S/N's, yes. Fired singles, yes, but never a matching SN set, NIB. Yeah, $35,000 was tongue in cheek, but to a Ruger Collector they should be pretty damn valuable. Same thing with that Luger although they made millions of them. How many are left??

Thanks for the education. Much better than online lesson. I can see a matched set in like serial number would be a huge draw.

QUICK,, ALL YOU LOP EARED ATOM SPLITTIN WITH LEAD PROJECTILE VARMINTS TAKE A PAUSE FOR THE CAUSE!! While your heading that wayy to take the pause, grab an Auto Trader off the rack, flip to the back and find the Harbor Freight ads. They got their air tight lockable ammo cans (plastic BUT - the lids do have a rubber seal in them!!) on sale/with coupon in Auto RV for 4 bucks a pop (3.99)!! :thumbsup:

Now a word from our sponsors: Be nice to your ammo, you dont want it coming back at cha and biten ya after ya send it down range :missingtooth:

Got that right!! GREAT DEAL SKIDDER = THANKS!! In the process of building an AR9 here,, got the lower in today, and looking for upper parts n pieces and found this spare parts kit, 19.79 shipped!! I hate that feeling of ahhhh ohhh,,where did that spring go when tinkering with this stuff with shaky ol hands so thought best to pick up one of these kits. Thought I better pass it on to all you other AR builders!! If your interested, click on "go to deal" but before you do "copy" the promo code to be pasted at checkout to get the 19.79 deal. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://gun.deals/product/ar-15-easily-lost-or-damaged-parts-setar15xtreme-1979

:178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,:icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,, :scratchchin:,, :icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :sign cmon::ice_yaw-vi121414111

Well I figured that I had better get this next installment on the way. At the rate @cowpuc is drooling here ,,,,,,, Well lets just say there is already enough flooding in the Midwest part of this country.

This one started life as a 1943 vintage Swedish Mauser chambered in 6.5x55. There is now nothing more than a couple of screws that are still either from the original gun or still in a stock configuration.

I found an old cracked sporter stock for the gun and stripped it down to bare wood,, I then repaired all of the cracks. Those brass dots that you see all over are #4-40UNC brass threaded rod that was run thru the stock to reinforce all of the cracks. That is why they are not evenly spaced, they are structural not cosmetic. I then recontoured the space for the barrel to have a free floated barrrel and at the end I glass bedded the action into the stock, the final finish is all automotive, 2K PPG satin clear coat. I brushed on the first coat heavy with a foam brush to get it into all the pours of the wood, using the slowest drying reducer and hardener to give it maximum time to soak into the wood good. Once fully cured, I was able to sand it down to remove all traces of wood grain at the surface and not break thru the clear anywhere. I then sprayed the final coat of the same clear to get a perfectly smooth low gloss finish.

Next part was the receiver, since this is the part that carries the serial number it is the part that is legally considered the gun. The first thing I did was to drill and tap for Leopold steel scope bases, This was tricky because those old Swedes new how to make metal HARD. When I first set it up the first HSS drill bit instantly melted when it hit the surface of the receiver, not even a scratch. OK so grab a cobalt drill bit, yup it melted the tip off too and left not a scratch. Soooo I had to special order a 3 flute solid carbide drill bit, As expected that drilled thru with no problem. Now how to tap this stupidly hard receiver???? A really good quality tap broke as soon as the cutting edges touched the receiver. So what I did was to place one of the burnt drill bits shank into the drilled hole and heat the drill bit up to a very bright orange heat until that heat was getting into the receiver a bit, then slowly reduced the temp of the bit until it was no longer glowing then let it all air cool to room temp and repeat for each of the next 3 holes. This process allowed me to anneal just the small area around each hole so that the tap could cut the threads.

I unscrewed the barrel and tossed it in the trash. It was literally so rusted that you could not see daylight looking down the bore. The PO had put the gun back in its case wet from hunting in a snow storm and then left the case and gun in the garage until the next deer season.:scared:

The next step on the receiver was to get it set up in the lathe and face the front of the receiver to square it up, and face the lands for the bold to get them nice and square.

Then the bolt was next up, I did start with the original bolt, I loaded it up on the lathe and faced the bolt face, and the lugs to get them all squared up. I then cut off the bolt handle since when the bolt is opened the handle is pointed straight up, this will not work with a scope. so the handle had to be forged into a new shape and then welded back on at a different angle to allow operation of the action and still clear the scope. The stock safety was also not possible to use with a scope so it had to go. This meant changing how the safety worked as well as modifying the shroud to accept the new safety design. The firing pin also had to be modified to work with the new shroud and safety, the firing spring was also replaced with a lighter spring since I did make a significant reduction in the weight of the firing pin.

Now the fun parts, I ordered a new Shilen barrel blank in 6.5 mm with a 1:9 twist. It comes as just a bar of metal with the rifled bore. I had to cut my own taper and do all of the threading to fit the receiver and then cut my own chamber, and crown the other end. This all took a lot more time than it did to say. It took many setups on the lathe before it was all done.

For the trigger I put on a Timney adjustable trigger to give me a real nice clean break with no perceptible over travel, unlike the stock trigger that felt like pulling your finger thru a box of rocks and literally had about a quarter inch of travel before it broke at some random point.

After all of this it was just a matter of putting all the pieces together. The gun once assembled was painted grey using a Teflon / epoxy finish that has held up perfectly over the last 15 years in the deer woods. The automotive clear coat finish on the stock has also held up perfectly to the woods and all of the cleaning chemicals used on a firearm.

I am sure that I probably have forgotten a lot of the little things that went into the building of this gun. There are a few small details that I would like to clean up, like I never did finish making all of the bolt work pretty, there are still some visible tool marks and welds, but it shoots so good I hate to mess with anything.

Once I got it all together and put the first 100 rounds thru for proper break in, this gun, IF I can do my part will shoot 1/4 MOA groups. It is not often that I am good enough to do that, but the gun is.

6.5x55-001.jpg

6.5x55-002.jpg

6.5x55-003.jpg

Well I figured that I had better get this next installment on the way. At the rate cowpuc is drooling here ,,,,,,, Well lets just say there is already enough flooding in the Midwest part of this country.

This one started life as a 1943 vintage Swedish Mauser chambered in 6.5x55. There is now nothing more than a couple of screws that are still either from the original gun or still in a stock configuration.

I found an old cracked sporter stock for the gun and stripped it down to bare wood,, I then repaired all of the cracks. Those brass dots that you see all over are #4-40UNC brass threaded rod that was run thru the stock to reinforce all of the cracks. That is why they are not evenly spaced, they are structural not cosmetic. I then recontoured the space for the barrel to have a free floated barrrel and at the end I glass bedded the action into the stock, the final finish is all automotive, 2K PPG satin clear coat. I brushed on the first coat heavy with a foam brush to get it into all the pours of the wood, using the slowest drying reducer and hardener to give it maximum time to soak into the wood good. Once fully cured, I was able to sand it down to remove all traces of wood grain at the surface and not break thru the clear anywhere. I then sprayed the final coat of the same clear to get a perfectly smooth low gloss finish.

Next part was the receiver, since this is the part that carries the serial number it is the part that is legally considered the gun. The first thing I did was to drill and tap for Leopold steel scope bases, This was tricky because those old Swedes new how to make metal HARD. When I first set it up the first HSS drill bit instantly melted when it hit the surface of the receiver, not even a scratch. OK so grab a cobalt drill bit, yup it melted the tip off too and left not a scratch. Soooo I had to special order a 3 flute solid carbide drill bit, As expected that drilled thru with no problem. Now how to tap this stupidly hard receiver???? A really good quality tap broke as soon as the cutting edges touched the receiver. So what I did was to place one of the burnt drill bits shank into the drilled hole and heat the drill bit up to a very bright orange heat until that heat was getting into the receiver a bit, then slowly reduced the temp of the bit until it was no longer glowing then let it all air cool to room temp and repeat for each of the next 3 holes. This process allowed me to anneal just the small area around each hole so that the tap could cut the threads.

I unscrewed the barrel and tossed it in the trash. It was literally so rusted that you could not see daylight looking down the bore. The PO had put the gun back in its case wet from hunting in a snow storm and then left the case and gun in the garage until the next deer season.:scared:

The next step on the receiver was to get it set up in the lathe and face the front of the receiver to square it up, and face the lands for the bold to get them nice and square.

Then the bolt was next up, I did start with the original bolt, I loaded it up on the lathe and faced the bolt face, and the lugs to get them all squared up. I then cut off the bolt handle since when the bolt is opened the handle is pointed straight up, this will not work with a scope. so the handle had to be forged into a new shape and then welded back on at a different angle to allow operation of the action and still clear the scope. The stock safety was also not possible to use with a scope so it had to go. This meant changing how the safety worked as well as modifying the shroud to accept the new safety design. The firing pin also had to be modified to work with the new shroud and safety, the firing spring was also replaced with a lighter spring since I did make a significant reduction in the weight of the firing pin.

Now the fun parts, I ordered a new Shilen barrel blank in 6.5 mm with a 1:9 twist. It comes as just a bar of metal with the rifled bore. I had to cut my own taper and do all of the threading to fit the receiver and then cut my own chamber, and crown the other end. This all took a lot more time than it did to say. It took many setups on the lathe before it was all done.

For the trigger I put on a Timney adjustable trigger to give me a real nice clean break with no perceptible over travel, unlike the stock trigger that felt like pulling your finger thru a box of rocks and literally had about a quarter inch of travel before it broke at some random point.

After all of this it was just a matter of putting all the pieces together. The gun once assembled was painted grey using a Teflon / epoxy finish that has held up perfectly over the last 15 years in the deer woods. The automotive clear coat finish on the stock has also held up perfectly to the woods and all of the cleaning chemicals used on a firearm.

I am sure that I probably have forgotten a lot of the little things that went into the building of this gun. There are a few small details that I would like to clean up, like I never did finish making all of the bolt work pretty, there are still some visible tool marks and welds, but it shoots so good I hate to mess with anything.

Once I got it all together and put the first 100 rounds thru for proper break in, this gun, IF I can do my part will shoot 1/4 MOA groups. It is not often that I am good enough to do that, but the gun is.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115922

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115923

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115924

Now that is good workmanship, and well thought out.:thumbsup2:

Thanks for the education. Much better than online lesson. I can see a matched set in like serial number would be a huge draw.

And the big kicker is I own 2 NIB sets. I wonder what the odds are of having two?? I'll probably end up selling one set...someday... 'cause I wanna keep one set with serial numbers that are my birthday X518, or my kids will end up selling both 'cause I won't care any longer.... :-) :whistling: