IGNORED

2 GEN Gurus

slowrollwv

I am not good at electrical problems on these bikes at all so I will ask here. I had to change the battery and R/R at the WNY rally and the meter I have on the bike showed 11.5 to 12.4 at idle. The bike ran fine coming home and up till yesterday when I started it. It started fine but when I looked at the meter it read 16.6 and when reved up to 3500-4000 RPMs it went to 17.4. Is it the R/R burnt up again or the stator? I do not want to burn up a new battery or maybe something else.

I am not good at electrical problems on these bikes at all so I will ask here. I had to change the battery and R/R at the WNY rally and the meter I have on the bike showed 11.5 to 12.4 at idle. The bike ran fine coming home and up till yesterday when I started it. It started fine but when I looked at the meter it read 16.6 and when reved up to 3500-4000 RPMs it went to 17.4. Is it the R/R burnt up again or the stator? I do not want to burn up a new battery or maybe something else.

I had issue over a year ago kept blowing headlamp bulbs. Checked voltage and it was over 18 when I revved the engine. Replaced the regulator/rectifier and have not had an issue since. Some people will say you need to replace both rectifier and stator together. I have replaced regulator alone and the stator alone (another bike) in the past and never had an issue in doing so.

My bet is on the regulator.

A bad stator can strain the RR, and a bad RR can strain the stator. When one is bad it is always wise to test the other. You only need to replace the other if it is actually bad.

It is possible to get a brand new bad RR. All electronics suffer from infant mortality where they die at a very young age for no apparent reason.

As mentioned, the only thing that can cause high voltage is the RR, but still test the stator as long as you are in there and have all the stator wires disconnected and out in the open. It only takes 5 minutes if you are slow.

+1 on all the above... :lightbulb:I am no guru and certainly not of the 2nd Gen kind for sure (never did work on one) but me n ol Murph have certainly had our share of lectrical :stickpoke:, :smash2: and :buttkick:throughout the decades. One of the things that always amazed me has been how easily could nail me with simple bad grounding problems. If that puppy were mine Roller the 1st thing I would do is make sure the grounding methods for the R/R (be body grounding or wire tap) were lookin fine... :2cents:

Had the same issue with the '99rsv before riding to the cody wy international. 17vdc on the meter. Didn't have time to change it before leaving. Took 3 days for the Deka battery to croak 80 miles from cody in thermopolis. Bought a wet cell locally and made it the rest of the way. While in cody with the help of Dano we replaced the rectifier. Recharged the Deka and it lasted another 4 years....