IGNORED

Posting Change due to SPAM

Freebird

There is been a HUGE increase in the number of spammers signing up just to post their garbage links. Apparently there are a lot of people who are too stupid to get real jobs.

In another effort to curb this problem and/or at least slow them down, I have changed the forum permissions for trial members. I didn't want to do it but I have to try something.

Trial members are now unable to post links, images, send PMs or Emails to our other members. I would have liked to start by just blocking them from posting links but that is not an option without doing a lot of custom programming. I hate this because I like the trial members being able to post pictures of their bikes and other related items but the spammers have ruined it for everybody.

At this time, a trial member cannot post links and perform the other actiions listed above until they have 20 posts on the forum. I may decreae that number at some point but for now, I want to see if even 20 helps to get it under control.

Just wondering, how many do you suppose become trial members just to sell a bike they somehow recently aquired or just had around for years? I have always kinda thought Trial members should not be allowed to freely post to the classifieds.

$12 to post to a specific group of potential buyers is a pretty cheap ad.

I don't really care, as it could be seen as benefiting full members of this site to see those ads.

Full support from me Don (not that that matters) but isn't it always the same? The stupid minority always spoil it for the respectful/ decent majority.

Makes me :mad: I'm sure if you explain the reasons to genuine prospective new members they will fully understand & agree. Guess we have to be thankful that we've avoided this crap for so long!

Just wondering, how many do you suppose become trial members just to sell a bike they somehow recently aquired or just had around for years? I have always kinda thought Trial members should not be allowed to freely post to the classifieds.

$12 to post to a specific group of potential buyers is a pretty cheap ad.

I don't really care, as it could be seen as benefiting full members of this site to see those ads.

I agree with you as did the vast majority of members when I polled them on this subject. They are actually not able to post anything for sale. The Classifieds section can only be posted in by supporting members. Classified ads in any other forum are deleted as soon as I see them.

I was surprised there a couple days back when I saw like 3 new members, and then shortly after that several posts that were complete garbage links. I did not fall for it. LOL You all are rite the majority must suffer for the minority of dumb a$$.

I tried a bulletin board 'for sale' page on my website years ago. Once the spammers discovered it...didn't take long... it became a mess. Because I'm not cut out to be an Admin and have the patients to deal with the cr@p I deleted it.... DEATH TO SPAMMERS!!!!!

I am a moderator on a truck site, We recently went thru a massive spam attack. More than 300 per day. it rendered the site nearly unusable and some quality members left because of it. I am glad to see that you are getting on this early before it gets to bad. Good luck with stopping the @*&$ &^%&*%$ &%^$^$ @!#@%$#!!!! It can be a never ending battle once there bots find a site they can access.