IGNORED

Grocery shopping with Tippy = $45 BSA 6x24 Power Target Scope!!

cowpuc

Ya never know what you might find laying around in the Sporting Goods department at the local Grocery Store these days. Case in point is the really cool rifle scope I recently scored. Given, I am sure that it is not of the quality of a high end Redfield Wide Field Wide Angle like many of us grew up beating the brush of Northern Michigans deer woods with but, for 45 bucks, what da heck -what da hay, not a bad early Christmas present for a geezer to buy for himself!! Any of you lop eared lead tossin varmintsbody ever heard of, or tried, "BSA" scopes?

Glad to see you've mounted it on a .22lr. BSA scopes are a cut above Walmart Crossfire scopes but not by a huge margin. A BSA scope can be awesome in limited circumstances. For example, if you and your friends like going to the range and busting clay pigeon at 75 yards and you always shoot at 75 yards. If you shoot random distances between 30 and 200 yards or are shooting at dusk, this is not the scope you should have. Looking at your rifle, I think you have a good match.

Hey Pucster, I went out shopping today too, :banana: spent a bit more than $45 though :mo money::mo money:but I didn't tell my wife she was cute.... was that wrong of me? :whistling:

She is cute though & I do tell her most days!

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/89655/remington-model-783-camo-bolt-action-rifle-w-scope?productVariantId=257821&bc_pid=MTI3Njg1&utm_source=trigger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bf_windowshop&obem=IDRla7Yvhusu5ak9oSlf4jZXLmDdV5gj3BvfcjwbuKk%3D&bc_lid=13

& if there are any negative reports on it I don't want to know! LOL I did research quite a lot & it seemed to be quite highly regarded for the price.

Won't get to play with it though till next week, this weekend we're making Elk meat sausages! Mmmmmm!

ps I also looked at a 4-16x44 Vortex scope but that was more than $45 too!

That scope should work great with that Model 60 .22. No recoil to mess things up. 500 yds might be a little enthusiastic tho...

A while back the Brunton Co., a distributor in Riverton Wy, must have had a huge blow out on Brunton scopes and they ended up all over the place on eBay. They generally sold for around $45 and were made in China. I bought one to take a look at it, and then bought quite a few more 'cause they were very nice. MOF there are some that were private labeled NRA. I haven't looked in years, but here's one for $20 bucks including shipping. Most are listed for $100 bucks or so. Ida went for it, but I still have a few still in the box. I do have a 4-16x50 mounted on my Remington Model 7 in .222rem. It's kinda over kill, but what the hey... When ya got it...flaunt it... :-)

I am really curious as to how much holdover you will need at 500 yards on a 22.

I was once shooting at 300 with my 10-22 and I could get off 5 shots before the sound of the first bullet hitting the target (a metal 2 gallon can) came back. I was holding about 30 feet high to hit the target. At 300 the bullets did make holes in paper but only made dents in a single piece of cardboard box with a paper target on it.

It was really a hoot.

It did PO my uncle cuz he was trying to sight in his new 7 mag and not hitting the targets.

Rimfire Central is a lovely site, full of .22lr fans who have much the same depth and breadth of information about the 22lr as there is here for the Yamaha Venture motorcycles. I did not look it up but my memory is that for 500 yards the holdover becomes very dependent on the make of ammunition. Generally the holdover is between 8 and 12 feet at 500 yards. At 800 yards it is somewhere in the low to mid 30 foot range. Also, at those ranges the cone of probable hit opens up to 20 inches or more. It's very ammo dependent. Rimfire Central has a section on long range shooting of 22lr out to 1000 yards.