IGNORED

Looking for some direction here

Xjnate97

Hey guys, I'm new to the group and recently picked up my first Venture. It's a 1993 Venture Royale 1300, and it has a few quirks that I'm looking for guidance and direction on how to remedy. The bike runs and had about 79000 miles on it, a little rougher cosmetically than I would like but I feel I got it at a decent price with all things considered. The biggest hang up for me is that it is missing most of its original accessories such as the cb radio, factory stereo and, most importantly to me, the air ride control unit. I've been browsing eBay, Craigslist, etc. trying to track some of these down but I am also finding it hard to find some info on these bikes. Do the 1st Gen components swap to the 2nd Gen, such as the accessories and plastics? I also have noticed that the front end on my bike has some pretty serious pogoing action going on and I have seen alot of members recommend the Progressive spring kit so I was wondering if it's truly a good option for the fork rebuild on my bike. Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! If you haven’t already, join up. Best investment of $12 ever! There are usually some factory components for audio/cb in the classifieds. The air ride system best to check the tech section and lots of searching. My bike has progressive springs, I really like it. It rides nice but not land yachtish if ya get me. That’s just my .02 tho.

again, welcome!

Hey guys, I'm new to the group and recently picked up my first Venture. It's a 1993 Venture Royale 1300, and it has a few quirks that I'm looking for guidance and direction on how to remedy. The bike runs and had about 79000 miles on it, a little rougher cosmetically than I would like but I feel I got it at a decent price with all things considered. The biggest hang up for me is that it is missing most of its original accessories such as the cb radio, factory stereo and, most importantly to me, the air ride control unit. I've been browsing eBay, Craigslist, etc. trying to track some of these down but I am also finding it hard to find some info on these bikes. Do the 1st Gen components swap to the 2nd Gen, such as the accessories and plastics? I also have noticed that the front end on my bike has some pretty serious pogoing action going on and I have seen alot of members recommend the Progressive spring kit so I was wondering if it's truly a good option for the fork rebuild on my bike. Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

Radio and CB were not accessories but parts of the Royale models. I have all that on my bike and it all works, if you cant find anything maybe we can talk. I would not necessarily be averse to shedding all that weight. I've never turned on the CB or stereo after checking that it worked when I bought the bike. If you get the E4 error on the air ride there is a fix, also it only works with the key in acc/engine not running, took me a few minutes to figure that out.

The 1st get bikes are cut into MK1 and MKII, that happened in 86 with the 1300 and significantly bigger luggage capacity. Gen2 was just after that and not much compatibility of knick knacks but some mechanical stuff may swap over. The Progressives are very well worth it, you will find plenty on the fork rebuild. I did it myself. These are bushing forks so when you get the seals, also a good idea to get the bushings too. DO NOT NOT NOT use Chinese parts, ever. For fork seals OEM is the way to go if you dont want to repeat the job every season or two. boats.net and another that escapes me are good sources for OEM parts without the OEM price tag the dealers charge.

Head bearing adjustment is critical too, so as you move forward with the forks dont forget to service the head bearings. If they need replacement, "all ballz" does make a decent bearing and seal kit for the steering head. With the time and mileage on this bike it will probably need some love there.

Stay away from Ethanol tainted fuel if you can. If you cant then wash it down with pure gasoline and Seafoam. Dont let it sit with ethanol tainted fuel for more than a day or two.

Popular oil is T4 Rotella 15-40 and NAPA (WIX) filters are cheap and known to work well on our machines.

The brakes are linked, definately read up on that as it is not exactly like normal bike brakes. In fact mine was a little frightening on the gravel until I delinked them.

Others will have tons of good info, I'm forgetting plenty, but you are in the right place. I'm sure you will formulate many more questions. Did your bike come with the CB and stereo removed or did it never have these items. If I'm not mistaken all the Venture "Royale" models had the stereo and CB, and the others never came with these options.

Anyways, here are broken peices of stuff, do some reading in the 1st gen tech section and you will find more good reading relevant to your model.

Again, Welcome!

For some of your parts try this place. I have purchase some item for my 1986 Venture from them and they were just as they stated it would be.

go to : http://www.ebaystores.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_fsub=3669172014&_sid=12458664&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Hope you find what you need

You will need to page thru because the search on their site is not the best

Welcome! If you haven’t already, join up. Best investment of $12 ever! There are usually some factory components for audio/cb in the classifieds. The air ride system best to check the tech section and lots of searching. My bike has progressive springs, I really like it. It rides nice but not land yachtish if ya get me. That’s just my .02 tho.

again, welcome!

Thanks for the reply and info. I'm also still trying to figure out how to work everything on the forum so I apologize if I'm not working something right 😂.

I don't think there's a whole lot of parts that'll interchange between 1st gen and 2nd gen, not sure but I believe some things may interchange between 1st gen MK I and 1st gen MK II.

Ebay is a valuable resource, but there's also some parts collectors out there that have garages full of this stuff.

Yes on the progressive springs....Yes on the clutch upgrade....probably should plan on replacing carb diaphragms....These jobs are fairly easy if you're mechanically inclined, and not terribly expensive either.

My 87 (First Gen, MK II) is a standard, (not a Royale), so I've never had to deal with the air ride system, but I believe you can disable it if you like, and just pressurize it to your liking, as I do on my Standard.

I have a second gen also (06) and while I love the comfort of the second gen, ...the performance of the first gen is outstanding. Rare that a bike this heavy will do wheelies and smoke tires, but mine can do both.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that for many reasons, this is one of the few civil forums out there, with lots of knowledgeable people eager to help.

Looking forward to your posts!!!

Welcome:bighug:

Welcome!

Radio and CB were not accessories but parts of the Royale models. I have all that on my bike and it all works, if you cant find anything maybe we can talk. I would not necessarily be averse to shedding all that weight. I've never turned on the CB or stereo after checking that it worked when I bought the bike. If you get the E4 error on the air ride there is a fix, also it only works with the key in acc/engine not running, took me a few minutes to figure that out.

The 1st get bikes are cut into MK1 and MKII, that happened in 86 with the 1300 and significantly bigger luggage capacity. Gen2 was just after that and not much compatibility of knick knacks but some mechanical stuff may swap over. The Progressives are very well worth it, you will find plenty on the fork rebuild. I did it myself. These are bushing forks so when you get the seals, also a good idea to get the bushings too. DO NOT NOT NOT use Chinese parts, ever. For fork seals OEM is the way to go if you dont want to repeat the job every season or two. boats.net and another that escapes me are good sources for OEM parts without the OEM price tag the dealers charge.

Head bearing adjustment is critical too, so as you move forward with the forks dont forget to service the head bearings. If they need replacement, "all ballz" does make a decent bearing and seal kit for the steering head. With the time and mileage on this bike it will probably need some love there.

Stay away from Ethanol tainted fuel if you can. If you cant then wash it down with pure gasoline and Seafoam. Dont let it sit with ethanol tainted fuel for more than a day or two.

Popular oil is T4 Rotella 15-40 and NAPA (WIX) filters are cheap and known to work well on our machines.

The brakes are linked, definately read up on that as it is not exactly like normal bike brakes. In fact mine was a little frightening on the gravel until I delinked them.

Others will have tons of good info, I'm forgetting plenty, but you are in the right place. I'm sure you will formulate many more questions. Did your bike come with the CB and stereo removed or did it never have these items. If I'm not mistaken all the Venture "Royale" models had the stereo and CB, and the others never came with these options.

Anyways, here are broken peices of stuff, do some reading in the 1st gen tech section and you will find more good reading relevant to your model.

Again, Welcome!

😂 Thanks for your reply. From what I gather from the guy I got the bike from, it came factory with stereo, cb, etc. All of these features have since been removed and kind of hillbilly patched with homemade covers 😂 I'm mainly concerned with getting the air ride components and I've got to do more research on figuring out how to get it working or replaced. The front forks are a big issue as well, considered I live in a small town in central Alabama with a poor road maintenance schedule 😂 The factory stereo has since been replaced with a Kenwood stereo, and the remaining cavities on both sides are covered with plates that are screwed into the fairings. I would like to get the bike back presentable and clean

First thing I would do is either download a copy of the service manual for the 86-93 Venture Royale motorcycle from this link.. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals or buy one from Ebay, as they do come up from time to time in the paper version.

It is what most of use to do service work on our VRs. Look it over and dont be afraid to ask questions or do a search for things.

Also if you havent located it yet, check out the Tech library for more information on maintaining the bikes. Your bike is what we call a 1st Gen MK2, this covers 1986-1993, the 1983-1985 are 1st Gen MK1. There are some parts that interchange and looking at a parts diagram is a good way to see if it is possible. I use Parts Shark as they have good prices.. https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

There are sources for parts for the bikes besides the dealers but it might require some searching or checking out the forums here as we usually share things we find with each other.

I hope you enjoy the VR as much as I do and it gives you years of riding enjoyment.

Welcome to the site..

Rick F.