IGNORED

rode bike

rbig1

I haven't been able to ride as left knee I don't trust. Got bike out and drove to work. The left fork is covered in oil now so time to fix it. what springs have you used to replace oem. If I am fixing going all the way. You know I read my writing sound like a robot. Maybe someone that slept through school. Well here is my question to you all. Where did you buy your parts and do you have the part numbers still. Also how did you clean the outer fork covers. I have a 2001 rsv.

Off topic where is everyone in chat. Slept there a few evenings by myself. Boy is that guy boring.

Dont see no one jumpin in here so,,, what da heck,,, even though I aint never owned one of those newer versioned, fancy shmancy 2nd Gen RSV's,, thought maybe I would :stirthepot: a little and share some opinionation with ya Rodney... As you know,, I am one of those pesky old school 1st Genners,,, I have always used Progressives for front spring replacement but some of that is due to the limited selection of springs for such (ANYTHING was better than those OEM Ink Pen springs though).. That said, having the much newer scoot,, I believe your selection of springs, including actual spring rate selections, is far superior.. If memory serves me correctly,, I think my good friend and partner in :witch_brew: Raggy ( @ragtop69gs ) found "Sonic" springs to fit his needs best of all. I also believe that even Race Tech makes a variety spring rates for your front springs.. What ever you chose, name brand or weight,, if those springs in your RSV are OEM and Mom Yam is still using Bic Ink Pin as a supplier - anything will be better than whats in there :guitarist 2:.

Fork seals are another matter though in my experience. I actually like and perfer OEM seals.

When ya take er down, dont forget to steal one of your wifes nylons and lightly run it up and down the fork tubes (after cleaning them so they are nice and dry) in search of any small snags.. It dont take much to ruin a new seal. Also take a close look at the fork bushings,, I would replace them while there just cause I am a known maniac or something when it comes to wear on those bushings.. I have found that 12.5 weight Bel Ray fork oil works for me best when tossed in with new Progressives - gives a perfect ride for 2 up, fully loaded and no air BUT - thats 1st Gen :Im not listening to.. I also use spray brake cleaner/carb cleaner to clean Tweeks fork legs but, there again,, I aint never been one to actually worry about what the stuff may or may not be doing to the clear coat on the fork legs. I am almost sure that it has no effect but no promises,, might wanna test a spot first. I will say this though,, I BATHE the legs/calipers down there when working on brakes cause any form of road oil (or fork oil in your case) on the brake pads is a major no no IMHO.. If that fork oil has gotten on those pads ya may as well plan on ordering new pads for the project too,,,,,,, I would anyway probably cause I really like good stoppin,,,, almost as much as the amazing performance of these V-4's..

Good to hear your getting back at it my friend!! Hope this is a sign that your knee is feeling better? All the best on the refirb project!!

By the way,,, I :draming: a few times in chat too... Sure do miss DanL',, that rascal sure could keep things alive out there in VR chat alllll night long I tell ya!!

Good to hear from ya!

Puc

Thanks Chuck,

Yep the Sonic springs are a straight rate spring, if memory serves me they are the 1.2 not 1.5 I'll have to check my files. 15 weight for oil is correct. You will need to get more pvc pipe for spacers because Sonic does not send enough, I used thick wall water well pvc pipe. My fork tubes are slid up in the tree 3/4".

When I rebuilt mine I replaced all the fork bushings and seals, may as well do it all with the amount of work it takes I didn't want to do it twice.

The ride is a little firmer but not harsh by any means. It makes the handling much more precise, no more fading to the outside in long sweeping turns, also turns in better in tight twisties.

I am running a 130 tire up front and a dark side BF Goodrich TA Radial rear. 0 PSI in the forks, 20 PSI in the rear unless towing then I max out the rear air.

I'll post a few pics when I get to my pc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk