IGNORED

Real World towing capacity and tongue wt for gen1

Some years back if memory serves me right (No Guarantee here :think:) a past member, Muffin Man, towed home a 1st Gen on a trailer Pulled by another 1st gen and I believe he took it for quite a distance on the interstate as well. Not that I would agree with such an endeavor, but it does kind of show what kind of pulling power a 1st gen actually has. Stopping on the other hand, Well lets just say I once hauled home 1-1/4 yards of gravel with my GM Cutlass and got pushed through the intersection when I tried to stop for a yellow traffic light :yikes:.

Though I do have a motorcycle trailer the only time I towed it was when I brought it home after buying the bike unawares that the trailer was part of the package until I went to leave the sellers house. Since then it has served mainly as additional storage for spare MC parts. I tend to be like Puc and prefer to travel Light and campout, backpacker or canoeist style. I actually use much of the same gear as when I am camping the back country this includes meals and cooking gear, even though I often eat in restaurants when with other riders, but the cooking gear still comes along in case. Oh and I do carry a bit of extra clothing since in a social atmosphere it is kind of nice to have clean changes of attire.

IMG_20130804_133321_181.jpg

IMG_20130804_173522_994.jpg

IMG_20130804_133055_057.jpg

Edited by saddlebum

My dad used to own an 87 Venture in the early nineties and said he took mom shopping with the trailer one day and loaded the trailer up with cases of pop. He said he ran out of gas on the way home and it just ate fuel. I dont know how much a trailer full of pop would weigh, probably more than a dirt bike, but having only a 5 gallon fuel capacity, you may not have much luck getting any real distance:confused24:

My dad used to own an 87 Venture in the early nineties and said he took mom shopping with the trailer one day and loaded the trailer up with cases of pop. He said he ran out of gas on the way home and it just ate fuel. I dont know how much a trailer full of pop would weigh, probably more than a dirt bike, but having only a 5 gallon fuel capacity, you may not have much luck getting any real distance:confused24:

I did a Few Long distance trips With @Marcarl and though he can say better than I can. On the trip the above photo was taken, I don,t remember Him using much more fuel than I did and he was riding 2 up plus pulling the trailer.

You MPG will be highly dependent on a lot of factors. Total weight rolling down the road, Aerodynamics of your load, Weather, How much steady state speed vs changing speeds, terrain, there are just some of the big things that will influance you MPG change with a trailer.

For instance. Me one up and no cargo I get 39 MPG, add the trailer, good weather, fairly flat terrain, and I drop to 35. Add in some crappy weather and getting in a hurry and I was down to as low as 17 MPG average for a full tank of gas. Same roads, same total load, same aerodynamics.

Some years back if memory serves me right (No Guarantee here :think:) a past member, Muffin Man, towed home a 1st Gen on a trailer Pulled by another 1st gen and I believe he took it for quite a distance on the interstate as well. Not that I would agree with such an endeavor, but it does kind of show what kind of pulling power a 1st gen actually has. Stopping on the other hand, Well lets just say I once hauled home 1-1/4 yards of gravel with my GM Cutlass and got pushed through the intersection when I tried to stop for a yellow traffic light :yikes:.

Though I do have a motorcycle trailer the only time I towed it was when I brought it home after buying the bike unawares that the trailer was part of the package until I went to leave the sellers house. Since then it has served mainly as additional storage for spare MC parts. I tend to be like Puc and prefer to travel Light and campout, backpacker or canoeist style. I actually use much of the same gear as when I am camping the back country this includes meals and cooking gear, even though I often eat in restaurants when with other riders, but the cooking gear still comes along in case. Oh and I do carry a bit of extra clothing since in a social atmosphere it is kind of nice to have clean changes of attire.

BEEEEEAAUUUUUTIFUL pics brother,, absolutely gorgeous!! As noted, You and I are definitely cut from the same pattern :thumbsup:!! Seeing that gorgeous machine of yours sitting there with you on its back with the big :big-grin-emoticon: on your mug sure brings back a bunch of great memories (i.e. - :rotf: remember following Touches bike and reading the sticker on the back :rotf: - sorry Dave:duck:, Bum and I were having wayyyyy to much fun back there :hihi:)..

Yep,, friends can sure nuff have a lot of fun with a couple old Ventures I tell ya:happy34:!! By the way,, somethings will never change my man, 1st pic is from one of my Sturgis exploits years ago,, second one more recent, look about right? DSCN6734.JPGTweeks and Cowbuc relaxing ride.jpg