IGNORED

Well BUGGER!!!!

Graywulf

Clutch felt a bit 'funny' for 'bite' last night coming home from work. Went to go to work this arvo' got down my road? No clutch, nothing at the lever. Opened up the reservoir, only a tiny bit of fluid, looked 'gritty/dirty' {had been replaced a couple of months ago} . Got it to the biker shop.... 'crash boxing' a Venture was an interesting experience {first 3} I'm guessing the slave cylinder seals have gone west. Brittle through infrequent use with many months between each use; then suddenly a lot of use in a short time? :crying:

Guess it's the joy of buying an extremely low mileage bike that is over a decade old. {At least I didn't have to push it} :pushups:

I thought mine was leaking earlier this year (marking the floor) and ordered one. When I got into changing it I found that it was not the culprit. But having a new one on hand I put the new one in. When I removed the fins from the rear jug it had oil on the back side so I find that my valve cover gasket is leaking and running down beside the clutch slave. I found that the bolts that hold the chrome heat shield and cover were loose. :doh: Now I have a spare slave and valve cover gaskets.

I thought mine was leaking earlier this year (marking the floor) and ordered one. When I got into changing it I found that it was not the culprit. But having a new one on hand I put the new one in. When I removed the fins from the rear jug it had oil on the back side so I find that my valve cover gasket is leaking and running down beside the clutch slave. I found that the bolts that hold the chrome heat shield and cover were loose. :doh: Now I have a spare slave and valve cover gaskets.

Bugger! :p

I'm pretty (90%} certain, the clutch master res' is empty :Sad_0241:

I rode a 2004 Concours about 660lbs with no clutch disengagement. There was enough of an incline at work that I was able to get it rolling in neutral and put it in first to get started. And traffic allowed me to roll through the 4 stop signs on the way home from work. But, I would not attempt it on the Venture I don't think. Motorcycle transmissions are synchronized so well that shifting with the clutch engaged is easy. Yeah, it was stupid of me to do it.

I rode a 2004 Concours about 660lbs with no clutch disengagement. There was enough of an incline at work that I was able to get it rolling in neutral and put it in first to get started. And traffic allowed me to roll through the 4 stop signs on the way home from work. But, I would not attempt it on the Venture I don't think. Motorcycle transmissions are synchronized so well that shifting with the clutch engaged is easy. Yeah, it was stupid of me to do it.

Hey aren't you supposed to check the fluid reservoir fluid regularly? I think most of them even have a sight window. :stickpoke::D

Hey aren't you supposed to check the fluid reservoir fluid regularly? I think most of them even have a sight window. :stickpoke::D

Guilty as charged! I suppose the slave was leaking and I didn't check the fluid often enough. That was the first bike I've owned that had a hydraulically actuated clutch.

Did you flush the clutch and brakes when you got the bike? May have been low and got some air in the system. It is best to change the fluids once a year and the coolant every two years.

all fluids were done after purchase as the bike is 12yrs old and done less than 2.5k km's per year. The clutch was fine till the day before, and 'went' yesterday. So it has emptied a full reservoir in 3000km's. I'm still picking the slave cylinder seals had hardened and leaked.

update.

yup the slave cylinder seals have 'gone'. So new one on order {ex aussie} as well as the shaft seals etc. So with any 'luck' Barney will be mobile again within a week.

Bluesky, you are so right, it is NOT an experience I ever wish to repeat, it's one big ole girl to get going with no clutch on the level :scorched:

I hope you ordered a middle gear cover gasket, you will need it to change the slave. And it is a good idea to change the neutral switch "0" ring too while your in there.

It's at the shop... and they have ordered the extra seals, luckily the mech' who is doing it completely rebuilt a Gen 1 for a customer less than a year ago.