IGNORED

How Do I Remove The CLASS Air Joint from the Upper Fork?

I need to remove the upper (inner?) forks from the triple tree on my '93 to check for bends. I've read threads that talk about the CLASS air joint being held in place on the tube either by snap rings, circlips, or o-rings. The Partshark fiche shows o-rings. However, I don't seem to have any of these.

Here's the parts fiche from Partshark. I have the gasket (#75) but I don't have the o-rings (#72).

Capture.JPG

The service manual just says "Remove air joint bracket" with an almost indistinguishable black and white picture. (Gee, thanks Yamaha.) It also says to disconnect the EAND anti-dive leads. (Why?)

Capture1.JPG

Here's what the top of the CLASS air joint looks like on my '93.

20180815_174156-1.jpg

Here's what the bottom of the CLASS air joint looks like on my '93. It looks like there might be a silver bushing/shim underneath the black air joint collar where the green arrow is pointing.

20180815_174314-1.jpg

How do I get the CLASS air joint off of the upper fork?

Edited by Bob K.

The #72 O-rungs are inside of the #70 and #71 collars and are to seal it to the outside of the tube. The snap ring that is referred to, is what you are pointing to as a "silver bushing". Once you slide the class collar up a bit you will be able to easily remove the snap ring. You do not pull the snap ring off sideways, just get it out of its groove and then slide it up off the top of the fork tube.

Before you slide anything up or down on the fork tubes clean as much crud off of them as possible so that the crud does not damage any seals as you are moving the parts.

Thanks, Jeff! That did it. To get them off, I:

1. Cleaned the forks above the joint with 0000 steel wool.
  2. Sprayed some WD40 on the joint to lube for removal.
  3. I couldn't just twist or pull them off from the top--they seemed to be stuck in place--so I used a long screwdriver and hammer to lightly tap the collar from the bottom. After a couple taps, they came loose and could be removed by hand.
  4. Used my fingernail and a small screwdriver to remove the snap ring.
  5. Checked the 2 o-rings inside the air joint.

Edited by Bob K.