IGNORED

Log cabin kits/prefab, anyone with any experience?

CaseyJ955

So I have wanted a secluded, mostly off-grid cabin as primary residence all my adult life. Im now in a position to buy land, im looking at some southern hills acreages next week. Got my eye on small plots 5-20 acres. I am watching covenants and avoiding subdivisions. Actually avoiding covenants too, or at least restrictive ones.

So far the only things that have caught my eye are cabin/log home "kits". Some marketed as DIY friendly. A cabin built from scratch is cost prohibitive on a good day, at least for me. I see where I can pickup a 2 bed 1 bath with loft cabin kit for $15-30k, add a bit more for a " dry" kit including subflooring, roof, doors and windows. So far Im okay with that, I can source plunbing, and virtually all interior stuff at cost later after the structure is paid off, and should be able to handle all but electrical. I have considered cost of well, septic and cystern. Im not sure what foundation will cost yet.

What I really need to know is if the cabin kits are worthwhile. I see quite a bit of range in prices and material quality, im comfortable doing the work, although I do have help if needed. Anyone here gone down this road? Any wisdom or even a specific vendor with known quality/cust svc. I notice these kits on CL occasionally for a decimal point of cost, but it seems like a crapshoot. Seems from what ive read it can be a disaster while others report good experiences.

I also wonder if I have overlooked some other cost effective construction technique. Ive rulled out trlrs, modulars and stick built. Ive even loked at metal buildings, I may go that route for the garage since I need a minimum of 3 stalls and the mother-in-law apt.

Anyone been here/done this? Guidance, wisdom?

Thanks!

Edited by CaseyJ955

I see where I can pickup a 2 bed 1 bath with loft cabin kit for $15-30k, add a bit more for a " dry" kit including subflooring, roof, doors and windows. So far Im okay with that, I can source plunbing, and virtually all interior stuff at cost later after the structure is paid off, and should be able to handle all but electrical. I have considered cost of well, septic and cystern. Im not sure what foundation will cost yet.

Thanks!

Buy some land, and buy a Park model trailer. You'll be sitting fine for 15k

I've never tried to build one, but will share a story told by someone who was preparing to retire 20 years ago and thought log homes looked like an inexpensive way to go. When he went to price one it went like this:

Seller: "Will you be wanting a roof on that?"

Future retiree: "Yes, we want to keep the rain and snow out."

Seller: "What about doors? Do you want doors on the home?"

Future retiree: "Will need a door to go in and out."

Seller: "Windows?"

By the time the add ones were done he found it it was less money to just build a conventionally framed house.

In truth, most of the log homes are kits any way, built at the sellers site and then numbered, disassembled, and ship to the construction site. I remember driving south of Missoula, Mt once and seeing dozen of log home builders along the highway. Some using backhoes to move logs, other with multiple cranes to assist in the building. Be prepare for the cabin to settle a lot once it is assembled, so accommodations for that needs to be built into the doors, windows, cabinets, and just about anything hung to the outside walls.

Log home are beautiful but there is still a lot of maintenance to them so that they last a long time.

Good luck with your search.

Rick F.

I've never tried to build one, but will share a story told by someone who was preparing to retire 20 years ago and thought log homes looked like an inexpensive way to go. When he went to price one it went like this:

Seller: "Will you be wanting a roof on that?"

Future retiree: "Yes, we want to keep the rain and snow out."

Seller: "What about doors? Do you want doors on the home?"

Future retiree: "Will need a door to go in and out."

Seller: "Windows?"

By the time the add ones were done he found it it was less money to just build a conventionally framed house.

Thats what I'm seeing, the log-only kit is the price in glowing letters on the banner and often add 50%+ for floors, roofs and stuff. I know skilled builders can source that stuff locally cheaper. At my skill level I probably best go with the steel roof, windows and subfloor already cut to fit. I am lucky enough to have access to top tier doors, hardware and fixtures. I talked to a loghome kit vendor here in the midwest, he was pretty transparent about what the two kit levels have and dont have, and what It may cost before I hang my lid there. I can see this going upwards of $40k before I spend a penny inside. I just cant justify going much more or I cant pay for it without a traditional mortgage. I am able to get one but I cant swallow adding such a huge amount to total cost of ownership. Im doing this with short term personal loans and savings only.

In truth, most of the log homes are kits any way, built at the sellers site and then numbered, disassembled, and ship to the construction site. I remember driving south of Missoula, Mt once and seeing dozen of log home builders along the highway. Some using backhoes to move logs, other with multiple cranes to assist in the building. Be prepare for the cabin to settle a lot once it is assembled, so accommodations for that needs to be built into the doors, windows, cabinets, and just about anything hung to the outside walls.

Log home are beautiful but there is still a lot of maintenance to them so that they last a long time.

Good luck with your search.

Rick F.

Thanks, adding that to list of things to find out about. The guy I spoke with recommended a concrete foundation, and its pretty rocky earth in the hills, but I will find out how settling is handled for any kit I may end up with. Maybe the logs settle over time?

I knew this might be a good place to ask this question. Glad to have this information. Thank you!

In my early years I did study log and timber framing. If the calling came to me today, I would choose timber framing with a mix of wall construction. For example in my climate my North framing would be a stick or metal stud wall (s) with a higher R-value within the timber frame. Also with timber framing the loads are quite stable between spans, meaning pinned to footings or piles are both cost efficient and suitable.

I can look up some plans for you if you forward and idea of sq. footage and layout. I could also help you with budgeting based on "contractor standards" then if and when you alter the specs you would then be able to project the cost overruns.

Let me know

Buy some land, and buy a Park model trailer. You'll be sitting fine for 15k

:sign yeah that:

This sort of reminds me of the log house that was advertised in the back of comic books when I was a kid. There was a thread on this site about that. There was that Daniel Boone image that was appealing; turned out that the reality fell short. Just a plastic sheet. So be careful; sounds like you are. Can't really get a log house for a dime, then or now.

With my log cabin home I had to spend a lot of time and money sealing joints and spaces between some of the logs as they dry out and shrink. I had to recoat with a log sealer quite often. Very pretty to look at. A lot of problems around doors and windows. Using a trailer in the boonies has it own set of problems, mainly keeping the mice and other small critters out. I lived in a trailer in the Mountains of Colorado.

Best of luck.

Cami

My wife and daughter have been researching Cobb, Hay Bale and Sand Bag construction. All of which may or may not meet code in your area. All of which are cheaper than traditional construction and can be made to be much more energy efficient than traditional construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

http://cobworkshops.org/

http://www.housealive.org/

https://www.cobcottage.com/workshops

There is a veritable plethora of websites and organizations dedicated to natural construction. My wife found one that would come to your build site and conduct a workshop, in essence providing free labor and instruction for the use of your construction site. The above links are just the first ones that came up in a web search.

My neighbour built a log cabin. You need a very strong foundation for them. Logs are very heavy. They found the place very dark and had to add windows and skylights to the original construction. Even with an extra strong foundation it did settle over time. Maintenance was higher than expected.

I don't know what you have in your area for kit houses but I got a pre-cut house. It is a Lindal home. I took their outside walls, added windows, redesigned the interior and their engineers signed off on it. You can get these in any size and the cost depends on what you want in it. The saving is in the fact there is very little waste. They measure and cut the lumber at the factory so you don't have to buy an 8 ft 2x4 just to get a 6 ft piece. It is all pre marked so assembly is fast, another saving. I figure our place cost less than half what a comparable standard build would cost. Be careful. If you go that route research it thoroughly, the quality can vary considerably. We have been in ours now for 25 years with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

You folks are great, where else can we ask such questions so unrelated to the nature of the forum and get so many valuable responses? I have been looking at all these alternative building styles.

I'm still looking into hay square construction, also log/wood siding on a metal or stud structure. A real log home will probably have to wait until the rest of it is done. I decided to ride to southern CO to check out some acreages down there that look like they boast some crazy mtn views and higher elevation. Besides how much further south would I have to go to ride during the winter months?

Anyways, it's looking like it might make more sense to have a builder come in, do the basement and get the basic structure. I'll have some math to do depending on where I actually choose to build. So many CO properties are great distances from electricity, so I should figure in some panels and a windmill but it would get me totally off grid! OFF GRID!:rotfl: I forgot how much I like rural CO, this will be a great week! I'm ready to buy the right property if I find it, this has been a long time coming.

Thanks all for the great info!!!

I also sold a couple of spinnakers to a couple down around Gunnison that lived in a Yurt. One of those things the Mongolians live in on the Steppes... They used the sails as room dividers

That is really cool, I have noticed some Yurts popping up on CL in some downright picturesque places.

I'm taking my land viewing trip this coming week just as soon as the Venture is together. Southern CO just made the list. Darn this is exciting!

I have a close friend here in Tucson that possibly has the knowledge you are seeking. I would be more than happy to open a line of communication you may find helpful.

He is currently on vacation at this time, however he is due to return in about two weeks. I will contact him and send you his info via a PM if that's ok with you

Good luck with your project and we'll be in touch soon.