IGNORED

Forks Rebult. Now I have lighting issues

Newby here. Rebuilt my forks on my 1983 standard. Getting everything together and I've discovered that I have some wiring issues it seems. Perhaps I made a mistake trying too many corrections at once.

Original state when I bought the bike last Month:

1. Both Hi and Low beam headlamps worked, but Low beam displayed headlight indicator on CMS.

2. Discovered that the previous owner ran an additional wire from the headlight harness's GREEN/RED to the CMS's GREEN at connector.

3. Battery indicator on and annoying red flashing warning light. I fixed it a couple of weeks ago by adding a resistor.

4. Fork seals blown and leaking. Front forks would hold air for a day or two.

So took all fairing off and removed my forks for the fork rebuild. While all was apart, I found instructions on jumpering the HIGH and LOW beam pathways on the CMS. I was confident that I did a good accurate solder job.

I removed the strange PO-added headlight wire (as mentioned in #2 above) thinking that perhaps he was finding a way to bypass the HIGH/LOW indicators on the CMS display. I bypassed the RLU per these instructions: http://sense.net//~blaine/reserveliteunit.html My purpose for removing and bypassing the RLU was to eliminate it as a possible source of my headlight issues (#1 & #2 above).

TODAY: I installed my freshly rebuilt forks. In getting most of the fairing, dash, etc back on, I tested my electricals.

HEADLIGHT: Low beams only.

CMS: Not working

VOLTS: Not working

TEMP GAUGE: Not working

TURN SIGNALS: Front bulbs glowing constantly. Turn signals not firing at all and rear bulbs not lighting.

Checked my connections as best I could. Pretty sure I got everything reconnected. Fuses are good.

Un-jumpered the RLU and reconnected that PO-installed extra wire from Headlight harness back to the green wire of the CMS just to see if that makes a difference--Now only the HIGH beams work, the LOW do not.

Engine fires right up, no problems there.

Besides my ambitious jump into trying to bite off too many things at once, is there anything here jumping out to you guys that I'm missing? Anything to check? I sure would like to have at least my headlight and turn signals working so I can try out my new progressive springs and ride again.

I sure appreciate your assistance, fellas.

Sounds like something that Bongobobny could delve into for ya, and there are others as well. Hang in there, it's riding time but they will come home to roost soon enough and then they can figure it out while popping their wobbly.

Thanks man. I hope it's something simple that I have overlooked.

One other think I forgot to mention is that I have no clutch or brakes. I had my handlebars disconnected and it all hanging from the front end for the last 1-1/2 weeks. I suppose the fluid within the resevoirs traveled somewhere. I suppose this calls for a bleed. I'll get that as a first experience too.

Update: Got RLU plugged back in. Checked over wiring connectors, reattached the PO-added wire to the green terminal of the CMS and I've got both HIGH and LOW beams. If I disconnect that added wire, I get only LOW beams.

Still no turn signals, CMS display, volts, Temp gauge. Front turn signal lights stay illuminated and don't flash. Rear turn signals are dead across the board.

I'm at a loss and feel a bit defeated.

--Perry

Do you have the hazard switch connected to its plug? If the hazard switch isnt connected the turn signals will not work. The front turn signals do operate as a running light also but the rears do not.

On the Temp gauge, verify that the connection is there on the sending unit. It is located on the right side of the bike up by the right side radiator grill. It can easily come loose and not be noticed when working on the fairing.

Are there any indication on the CMS, does it go thru the self test when starting the bike?

The headlight issue, I would double check the wiring and see what is up. If you havent yet, there is a service manual located in the tech read me section of the library.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Do you have the hazard switch connected to its plug? If the hazard switch isnt connected the turn signals will not work. The front turn signals do operate as a running light also but the rears do not.

On the Temp gauge, verify that the connection is there on the sending unit. It is located on the right side of the bike up by the right side radiator grill. It can easily come loose and not be noticed when working on the fairing.

Are there any indication on the CMS, does it go thru the self test when starting the bike?

The headlight issue, I would double check the wiring and see what is up. If you havent yet, there is a service manual located in the tech read me section of the library.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Hazard switch connector is in place. Still no turn signals. I didn't realize that the front turn signals operate as running lights. Thanks, glad you pointed that out.

CMS does not go through its test mode. It simply acts as if its dead. I am contemplating removing my jumpers I performed just to see if that makes a difference. Would a faulty CMS unit cause these problems? In other words, does the CMS even play a part in the operation of lighting or does it just act as a monitor? If the PO ran a secondary wire from the headlight connector to the CMS as described in my original post, then this would indicate that the CMS has power over the operation of devices, correct?

Perhaps I just blew my CMS...

As for the temperature sending unit, I checked it and there is a blade connector (male) that has nothing connected to it, but I'm 90% sure there wasn't anything removed from it last week. There is indeed a connector that's properly fastened that sits behind it.

Here's the only connector I can't find a mate for. It sits just behind the headlight bucket area. I'm pretty sure it didnt' have a mate when I started my disassembly. Any thoughts on what this is designed to go to?

mysterywire.jpg

What year Venture are we dealing with here? If you please add it to your profile then it will show up on all of your post below your name.

Sounds like the CMS might be toast.. I would remove the solder connection you made and see if that made a difference in it operating.

I am not sure what that plug could be used for. You should be able to figure it out with a service manual by looking it over for the wire color combo to a connector.

The fan thermo switch is the flat blade connection on the hose joint.s-l1600.jpg

The pin like connector is for the temp gauge. And the wire with the pin connector is the ground for both of them.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Here's the only connector I can't find a mate for. It sits just behind the headlight bucket area. I'm pretty sure it didnt' have a mate when I started my disassembly. Any thoughts on what this is designed to go to?

That three wire connector is for the audio system on the XVZ12TDK (Royale)

1983 audio .jpg

What year Venture are we dealing with here? If you please add it to your profile then it will show up on all of your post below your name.

Sounds like the CMS might be toast.. I would remove the solder connection you made and see if that made a difference in it operating.

I am not sure what that plug could be used for. You should be able to figure it out with a service manual by looking it over for the wire color combo to a connector.

The fan thermo switch is the flat blade connection on the hose joint.https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114037

The pin like connector is for the temp gauge. And the wire with the pin connector is the ground for both of them.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Thank you, Rick. The PO direct-wired the fan to run continuously. I think he had some issues and just decided to bypass any thermostat. It doesn't bother me, so I think I'm ok with it. That explains why the blade connection has nothing connected to it.

Mine's an 83. I'll get the signature updated.

I can't explain it, but most every issue has been resolved. I finally got it all put back together last night and today after work I bled the brakes and clutch. I did for some reason get the turn signals working (with exception of right front). No idea how. Must had jostled something when I got the fairing back on.

So no CMS, no voltometer and no temp gauge. I fired her up and took her for a long-awaited spin. Within a minute, I saw the temp gauge rising a bit. That's good! She drove like a dream with those new fork springs. Get this: So I'm 3-minutes in to this first ride and my CMS, out of no-where, goes through it's cycle and starts working. My fuel gauge fills in and all is good. I have no idea why, but it just did. Shut her off and back on and she went through her cycle like all was well.

At this point, just volts gauge is not working. I don't yet know if I have a bad front turn signal bulb on that right side, but I'm happy that all the rest of my lighting is good. The left signal works. Right only flashes in back, but front is lit while running. Praying its the 1157 up front.

Wish this post could help someone with a bonifide solution to similar problems, but I am at a loss, other than getting the fairing back on and messing around with relays and wiring must had made a better connection somewhere.

Wiring mystery has me intregued and maybe a bit worried, but I'm running again! Thanks fellas.

I would suggest getting some electronics cleaner and going thru all your plugs and clean them up good. My CMS acts goofy at times I just been too lazy to go back thru it its about the only thing that give me any trouble as of late.. other then it was too quiet so I got a drill out.:stickpoke: