IGNORED

If it weren't for bad luck......

Luckily its not a bad job and tbe parts are reasonably priced. I haven't done it yet but I did look into it, I can feel slight slippage in 4th and 5th under hard acceleration. Sorry it **** the bed all sudden like. Did it get home okay under its own power?

Luckily its not a bad job and tbe parts are reasonably priced. I haven't done it yet but I did look into it, I can feel slight slippage in 4th and 5th under hard acceleration. Sorry it **** the bed all sudden like. Did it get home okay under its own power?

I've had a clutch go bad before and heard a few recollections from other riders and they all seem to fail in slippage. My issue is a little different.

Not far from home I down shifted to turn onto my road and heard briefly a scarping type noise like I was dragging something metallic.

As I down sifted to my drive way I heard it again and when idling in my barn I could hear a light but unpleasant grinding coming from mid right bike down low.

In Neutral with the clutch in is wasn't nearly as bad as in neutral with clutch out and having my hand on the clutch cover I can definitely tell it's in the clutch housing.

It will still function but after discovery I ran it a very minimum.

I plan on dropping the cover and doing an inspection this afternoon. I suspect a spring may have broken and causing all kinds of havoc. Just a guess as I am no expert.

Anyone have an issue like this before?

Thanks

I've had a clutch go bad before and heard a few recollections from other riders and they all seem to fail in slippage. My issue is a little different.

Not far from home I down shifted to turn onto my road and heard briefly a scarping type noise like I was dragging something metallic.

As I down sifted to my drive way I heard it again and when idling in my barn I could hear a light but unpleasant grinding coming from mid right bike down low.

In Neutral with the clutch in is wasn't nearly as bad as in neutral with clutch out and having my hand on the clutch cover I can definitely tell it's in the clutch housing.

It will still function but after discovery I ran it a very minimum.

I plan on dropping the cover and doing an inspection this afternoon. I suspect a spring may have broken and causing all kinds of havoc. Just a guess as I am no expert.

Anyone have an issue like this before?

Thanks

I think from what I can recall that you have now won the prize of being the first one to report such an issue. I've read about lots of clutch issues, but this is brand new, to me anyways. We would certainly be interested in what you find, and there will be lots of suggestions as to how to fix it if you want.

I think from what I can recall that you have now won the prize of being the first one to report such an issue. I've read about lots of clutch issues, but this is brand new, to me anyways. We would certainly be interested in what you find, and there will be lots of suggestions as to how to fix it if you want.

Thanks, I'm gonna need the help.

I pulled the clutch cover off and all the discs down to the last two, the ones held in place by the long keep spring, and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

If I laid my hand on the clutch cover the noise and vibration def changes as I worked the clutch. Maybe something deeper into the engine or maybe something in the water pump transmitting the noise/vibe into the clutch area?

I'm not sure how to proceed, any suggestions are welcome.

Will

Well folks, I think I'm back on the road!!

I got a K&L carb sync kit and began going thru the carbs since the clutch visually checked ok.

I also measured the friction discs, thanks flyinfool for the specs, and they were all at least half life.

The sync between 1-2 weren't off terribly as was the sync from 3-4.

The sync, adjustment screw C, left bank to right bank, was way off.

I spent some time really dialing it in and the bike is running very nicely and without the clangs I thought were the clutch.

I think what I heard was the gear lash in the clutch combined with the lash on the final drive brought on by the horrible carb sync.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Final note: Make damn sure the bike is TOTALLY warm before doing the sync. From cold to normal is a big difference!!

Will