IGNORED

First of Several Questions for this build/rebuild/restoration: Speedometer ratio?

So, I'm in the process of modifying / restoring an 83 1200 venture that sat for ten years, and I'm going to have a few questions. I do my best to use search (please don't flame me too hard if I miss it) but this question I don't seem to be able to find anywhere:

What is the speedometer ratio on an 83 Venture? :confused07:

I'm looking to replace the cluster with a mechanical speedo pod (i'm almost too short to see over the cluster properly, lol), but I can't find documentation anywhere on the Gearing of the Speedometer. Is it 2240:60, 2:1, 1:1, or something special and different?

I know 2240:60 is most likely, as that's what most older Japanese bikes are, and most Harleys are 2:1, but I don't just want to assume, buy a pod, and be completely wrong.

Any info/ assistance would be appreciated!

Justin, you sure picked a doozy of a question for a start. I don't know what the speedometer ratio is, but I know of at least a couple Ventures that are running non OEM speedos. @zagger .

Justin, I thought you were going to retain the original Venture appearance? Replacing the instrument panel is gonna open a very large can of worms. I suggest you hold off on modifications until you get the Black Beastie running well, stopping well and riding well. THEN do some mods.:thumbsup:

Justin, you sure picked a doozy of a question for a start. I don't know what the speedometer ratio is, but I know of at least a couple Ventures that are running non OEM speedos. zagger .

Justin, I thought you were going to retain the original Venture appearance? Replacing the instrument panel is gonna open a very large can of worms. I suggest you hold off on modifications until you get the Black Beastie running well, stopping well and riding well. THEN do some mods.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I know It's a Doozy of a Question to begin. I'm just hoping to get an answer on this one well before I tackle it. Plan is to get her apart, all flushed, cleaned out, and running nice and pretty before I even mess with the cluster. Not gonna take the best diagnostic off the bike until well after she is all reliably green :hurts:

Have to agree with Ph, it's a big deal and what about cruise?

You could try making a cluster just to see what it entails, that might change your mind..

If the bike has been parked for many years you have many little things to contend with as is; and you really should ride it for a season to know how she fits you.

I am not sure it is published anywhere as to what the ratio is for the unit. There is the old tired and true method of marking it and spinning the wheel side and counting revolutions on the output side.

But I agree with the others, get the bike running and stopping correctly and then pursue the change out of the speedometer.

just my thoughts anyway..

Rick F.

Have to agree with Ph, it's a big deal and what about cruise?

You could try making a cluster just to see what it entails, that might change your mind..

If the bike has been parked for many years you have many little things to contend with as is; and you really should ride it for a season to know how she fits you.

Lol Everybody's getting all up on me bout being new to the bike. :nanner: Not just you guys, but on other threads as well. Now I get it, I'm new here, But just to clarify (with no ill intent:2143:)

I've got plenty of experience with this stuff.

I'l run through some of it real quick for yous guys: I Just refurbished the internals and cable on my Suzuki intruder 800's Mechanical Speedo pod (its a 2000, but they haven't changed anything other than the side the front brake disk is on since 87), converted her to LED Blinkers, and Re-ran parts of the loom while rebuilding the front end. I've previously Replaced the front and rear tire tubes with hand tools, Synched both Mikuni Carbs after a disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild; I've rebuilt both the front brake and clutch master cylinder; and replaced about half the bike in general in bits and bobs. and that's just My Motorcycle.

I've rewired The Cluster, Ran compression tests to find the cylinder with the blown head, and replaced the radiator, hoses, and water pump on My Pontiac Sunfire back in the Day; Fought a sensor battle with the Airbags and seatbelt with a Hyundai Tiburon, Kept a 121,000 mile third owner 95 Camaro v6 alive for 5 years before the better half upgraded, and so on and so forth.

Let's just say I got experience with these kinda things, and ain't scared of an older bike. Especially one that doesn't have the CLASS system, electronic cruise control or Electronic anti-dive. A little worried about the Development of a second-gear issue (PrarieHammer states there isn't one right now) cuz its a Mk1, But only because of the time involved in cracking the case open so much to get to a single washer. :hihi:

At the moment though, the Speedo is WAAY down on the list. I gotta replace the rear master cyl; The Progressive (brand name) Springs, Racing-spec fork seals and covers, and bolts to plug the anti-dive just came in. There is a long road ahead on this bike, and the Cluster isn't coming off until the whole rest of the bike is running nice and pretty. But when the time comes, I would like to know what the Speedometer gearing ratio is (if anyone has it off hand) So I can look around for pods in the correct ratio, and don't have to tear the original Dash apart too hard to figure it out. :beer:

Loy, you are miss judging us _ not the other way round.

In your OP you mentioned something we here know well. In time you will understand when you get a feel for the bike after some long days in the saddle.

If you enjoy mechanics then you will be hard pressed to find a more rounded group of experienced easy going guys then here at VR.

It's up to you, post a question or post results, maybe we learn from you? We'll see

By the way Loy help us help you and others to keep the servers spinning just $12.00 for an add free site

Patch

So, I'm in the process of modifying / restoring an 83 1200 venture that sat for ten years, and I'm going to have a few questions. I do my best to use search (please don't flame me too hard if I miss it) but this question I don't seem to be able to find anywhere:

What is the speedometer ratio on an 83 Venture?

Hi,

I just checked my files and didn't find any info on the speedometer ratio. Actually, I'm not at all sure that I ever knew it. As I recall, I simply got an old Yamaha speedo and hoped that the engineers would have left the internal gearing about the same and wouldn't have completely redesigned it for a different model bike. In reality, it is pretty good but it does read a little faster than the bike is actually going. Maybe 5mph at highway speeds. Probably not a bad thing since I'm usually going a bit too fast anyway! As I recall, I had much more trouble getting the speedo cable to reach from the wheel back to the handlebars. My front end is pretty long and I had to get an extension for the speedo cable made to increase the overall length.

zag

PS When I got my bike I didn't know if it had the second gear issue or not (bought it from a salvage place). Since I had it all torn apart, I pulled out the engine, opened the transmission, and pulled out the shaft which has the stupid little retainer. Mine was somewhat ground down, but not far enough yet to cause problems. I put in a new one after rigging up a very dangerous spring compressor setup using a couple of brick carriers and a hydraulic jack. I added the little retainers to my basement shop mobile of idiotic catastrophes in my life. The most recent addition to my museum was a brass plumbing splitter that just broke in half and sprayed water all over my house - with my wife trying to stop the pressurized water with her hands. I came into the house from a bike ride to a disaster scene and my wife screaming. Ya just never know!

Harley-panhead-primary-chai.jpg

Edited by zagger

Hi,

I just checked my files and didn't find any info on the speedometer ratio. Actually, I'm not at all sure that I ever knew it. As I recall, I simply got an old Yamaha speedo and hoped that the engineers would have left the internal gearing about the same and wouldn't have completely redesigned it for a different model bike. In reality, it is pretty good but it does read a little faster than the bike is actually going. Maybe 5mph at highway speeds. Probably not a bad thing since I'm usually going a bit too fast anyway! As I recall, I had much more trouble getting the speedo cable to reach from the wheel back to the handlebars. My front end is pretty long and I had to get an extension for the speedo cable made to increase the overall length.

zag

That 5 MPH off may be normal for Yamaha. I know the RSVs have always indicated that you are going faster than you are. That's the reason that many of us have installed some type of speedo calibration device.

Hi,

I just checked my files and didn't find any info on the speedometer ratio. Actually, I'm not at all sure that I ever knew it. As I recall, I simply got an old Yamaha speedo and hoped that the engineers would have left the internal gearing about the same and wouldn't have completely redesigned it for a different model bike. In reality, it is pretty good but it does read a little faster than the bike is actually going. Maybe 5mph at highway speeds.

Thanks! Yeah, Then my guess would be it is a 5:1 , 2240:60 speedo. Almost every Yamaha I've found is listed the same; if a different speedo swaps out without reading absolutely ridiculously, It should be on par. Once I actually Get to getting the thing done (it's gonna be a while), I'll report my findings. :)

As for being slightly off, in my experience that's a fairly standard thing, for the most part. Mechanicals can only be be so precise: my Intruder reads just under 5 mph slow at 60, and my little brother's Magna (when he still had it) read right about 6 mph fast at the same speed. We decided to figure that out after repeated discussions about speeding / going too slow while out riding together. He wanted to be a cop at the time, all stickler about it... :rotf:

In Canada much of our H.W. system is patrolled by the RCMP, a mostly good bunch of good humored guys and gals.

Every so often when they catch up to me, I always greet them with a smile and ask “how is your day Constable”;) usually they reciprocate and we might chat a minute or 2!

For the record we Canadians expect some level of courtesy from our national Police Force and in turn we tend to be very open and up front when questioned on things like - where are you coming from, where are you headed, are you travelling alone… Well usually around that third question I start getting stuck, I’m sure it’s a trick question (: And I know they know by this time I am not the sharpest fool they are going to meet on their patrol shift, and it bothers me!

Next I know through experience that the following question is going to be “do you know how fast you were travelling?” ***it I always get that one wrong! I just tell them what my Mum always told me to say and do and so I speak the truth, “well Constable I was trying hard to stay above the minimum posted so, I’m guessing 150?” Sometimes they say “would you like to try again” I don’t get that question either, is there a right answer? Or is it my French conversion that puzzles me so?

Well we don’t post minimums anymore Sir the sign says maximum, slow down and you should be able to read it!

But the thing I’ve noticed with such sincerity is their real concern for my health; they always make a point of asking me if I am feeling OK and, am I on any medication? No - Not since the 70s I answer, that one is etched on the back of my eyelids.

And so Canadian too, they always give me an invitation with 3 copies (in case I want to bring friends?) to come back and visit around a week later.

Yep that’s the way we handle speed around these parts! Just do your best on the questions and you're good to go…

Happy Trails;)

EDIT: For some reason I can't quote your Pic. oh well.

Waaait a sec... Zag, I recognize that bike from the web. The Chain on the headlight and black bars are a dead giveaway, lol. In fact, I may be taking a little bit of inspiration here and there from your build...

Quick Question For you. This one Is WAY down the line in the build (further than the Speedo), but.. Are your Rear exhaust head pipes a custom fabrication, Or a find from another bike that fit? I've been looking at '96 Royal Star Heads, thinking there may be a way to fit them how I want with a little extra "encouraging" or something. But as the guy who has proof of quad exhaust being viable is here for me to ask... :D

Edited by Loy

IMG_4231-small.jpg

EDIT: For some reason I can't quote your Pic. oh well.

Waaait a sec... Zag, I recognize that bike from the web. The Chain on the headlight and black bars are a dead giveaway, lol. In fact, I may be taking a little bit of inspiration here and there from your build...

Quick Question For you. This one Is WAY down the line in the build (further than the Speedo), but.. Are your Rear exhaust head pipes a custom fabrication, Or a find from another bike that fit? I've been looking at '96 Royal Star Heads, thinking there may be a way to fit them how I want with a little extra "encouraging" or something. But as the guy who has proof of quad exhaust being viable is here for me to ask... :D

Hey Loy,

The first section of pipes from the engine were stock (mostly to keep the curve around the engine), but they were then cut and new pipes added. Everything downstream was custom built. But I had to find baffles that fit, so I made my final pipes to match. The baffles cut down on the sound somewhat, but I added a couple of big washers clamped onto a crossbar inside the baffles. They help with the sound but are really there to set the backpressure which is vital for the carb operation.

zag

Chain on the headlight

Just so ya know, I was at some bike thing and someone noticed that I didn't have any Harley parts included. So I ripped off the headlight bracket that I had made, and welded up a new headlight thing using a panhead Harley primary chain. Just for the esthetics. Nothing beats the idiocy of a primary chain.

zag

Edited by zagger