IGNORED

wel it's mine, and already in the shop

Graywulf

Yup as of today, 'officially' a Gen 2 owner, 2006, black cherry, 27km {17,00 ml}, she's like new for condition.

Basically going for a full fluids change, service, grease up, and 'worst parts' two new tyres to go on, and the previous has put a set of {HDtype?} Vance & Hines, Big Oval mufflers on it. But did no 're-jetting', it's running horribly lean. Why do they do that, and not 're-jet'?

Had a 200 mile ride home with it today. Very interesting, as my last cruiser 12yrs ago, was a Kwaka VN1500. Certainly can notice the low speed weight etc, but by the time I got 'home', knew I have made a good choice. Comfortable, 'adequate' power :) {probably will improve even more with re-jetting} Trundled along at around 70mph and thoroughly enjoyed the ride, once I had acclimatised to how the bike handles and feels. These things FEEL huge, even sitting on it, and certainly have 'road presence'. And there I had been worried a 'mere' 1300cc would not be enough to do the job. My last big twin a couple of years ago was a bike the USA didn't get for some reason, the Yamaha MT-01. Warrior motor, even more hotted up {90bhp, 110ft lbs} some serious GRUNT! Not to worry, even 'lean' the V4 was a pleasure to ride and a lot more tractable than I had anticipated from reading about 4/5th gears being overdrives'. Didn't try to explore anywhere close to 'limits' with a strange bike, and old/worn tires, but found it pulled reasonably at 100kph in 3th.

Have to get some stuff ordered, probably B/stone Excedra tires, K&N airfilters and a 'dynajet' kit for the carbs, as well as the service/once over..so she'll be in there a few days. Looking forward to how it will feel with new boots and carbs jetted correctly.

450541050.jpg

Welcome to the site. These bikes are on the lean side from the factory changing the mufflers should not cause the lean carbs. Sounds like it just needs a carb sync and ran. Adjusting the PMS screws will help with the lean carbs. Add some Seafoam to the gas will clean the carbs and keep it running great for a long time. I add a 1/4 can to mine every 3rd fill up.

Welcome to the site. These bikes are on the lean side from the factory changing the mufflers should not cause the lean carbs. Sounds like it just needs a carb sync and ran. Adjusting the PMS screws will help with the lean carbs. Add some Seafoam to the gas will clean the carbs and keep it running great for a long time. I add a 1/4 can to mine every 3rd fill up.

Hi slowroll,

thanks for the welcome,

I've seen 'factory' lean, this is way beyond that. if you touched the throttle at all during warm up, it dies. Literally the engine has to feel 'warm' to the touch, before it will allow throttle use, and has no 'pull' from take off until it is actually HOT. It sounds and feels wrong at just off idle/low throttle and I avoided going onto the main jet. BTW, I threw in 'wyn's cleaner' at fill up {we don't have seafoam here} and rode it 200 miles to come home, so it had a damn good run.

The mufflers are 'wide bore' and no baffles. Plus I had experience with 'stage 2ing' on an MT-01... {the fuel in New Zealand is utter rodent urine} and that needed a fueller with a similar change {mufflers}. It's in being given a full service, and the mechanic who is doing it recently totally restored a Gen1 for a customer. I am also allowing possible 'varnishing' inside the carb's and partially blocked jets.

The 07 I just bought has stock mufflers and it is the same as yours as far as starting cold. It fires up immendiately and runs fine on full choke (after pouring a half bottle of Gumout with PEA in the gas tank) but takes a lot of warming before I can give it throttle without the choke on. After warming up it runs great on the road with lots of power. I have not tried adjusting the idle screws yet.

Yes the carbs will probably need cleaned if it has set for long periods and not run by the PO. Mine is an 03 RSMV with Barons 4-2-4 Pipes and have not done any thing to the carbs. I do most of my own wrenching and have 95,000 on the clock. When you get it running right it will be almost trouble free for many miles of smiles. If you have any questions about the bike don't be shy and post it here and someone will give you an answer.

The 07 I just bought has stock mufflers and it is the same as yours as far as starting cold. It fires up immendiately and runs fine on full choke (after pouring a half bottle of Gumout with PEA in the gas tank) but takes a lot of warming before I can give it throttle without the choke on. After warming up it runs great on the road with lots of power. I have not tried adjusting the idle screws yet.

BlueSky,

starting to make me think the carbs are 'gummed'. I cannot even touch the throttle with the choke fully out, when cold, but once you feel 'warm' on the fake cooling fins, you can start to throttle, but it sounds 'flat and lifeless' till it's actually hot. Don't know if the bikes we got {NZ} will have the blanked off adjusters, but Daniel {mechanic} is the shops tuning 'go to' guy.

Slowroll

I'd love to do my own 'wrenching' within my limits, but being honest, with fuel injection/ECU's, it's many years since I touched a bike 'seriously', and old arthritic knees do not like being 'bent up' or kneeling down. Lets not even THINK about getting back up again. {Don't you hate it when you remember aged 20 something, when you got injured and a Doc told you. "you'll feel this in later years"} :/

Riding Vicki's RTS Spyder made me realise how much better the knees felt, compared even to the 'mild bend back' on my CB1300 or Spyder RSS.

I will ask plenty of 'stupid questions' no doubt, it's the only way to learn about your machine. It's quite interesting the reaction these bikes get, Both stops on the way home, fuel/food I got approached and asked, what is it?