IGNORED

Finally got to see the new Venture Live

grubsie

My local dealer still has no idea when they are going to have one of the new Ventures in their showroom so I decided to travel a couple of hours to another dealer that has 2 Ventures, 1 red and 1 gray and also 1 gray Eluder.

I immediately gravitated to the red one as anything in the red category has always been my favorite. I have to say though the gray Eluder and Venture looked much nicer than the red to me.

Anyway, as excited as I was to finally get the chance to check the bikes out, I honestly have to say in my opinion that I was not impressed in the least. I was actually kind of let down. All I kept thinking was 28K and what was I getting but a bunch of plastic that I didn't really care for. Not much in the way of chrome anywhere. The salesman kept talking about the TC package which quite frankly, is not something that doesn't do anything for me. In fact in a couple of years with the way technology is advancing, it's only going to be obsolete anyway.

They wouldn't let me test drive it but I wasn't interested anyway. I don't know if it's just the old sole in me, but I love 2nd gens because they still look and feel like a real motorcycle, just like HD, no matter what style they produce, they still look and feel like a real motorcycle. I don't give a dam whether it's a v-twin or v4 or straight 4 or whatever, it should still look like a motorcycle. Imho, stick this motor in a 2nd gen which would allow a lower drivers seat height and you have a winner. Oh, and why doesn't "any" Japanese manufacturer get the concept of the whole quick release anything, like tour pack or saddlebags, or sissy bar? I know on my 2nd gen, I am getting sick and tired of laying on the floor while attacxhing the RSV lift so that I can jack the bike up then back on my back again so I can check the rear tire pressure before each ride, or have to remove 1 saddlebag (4 bolts) so I can access the valve stem to check the pressure. HD allows quick removal of the bag with 2 quick turn clips. Can't imagine the work involved to get to stuff on the new Venture with all the plastic it is carrying.

28K is all I keep thinking about. If I was to drop that kind of coin, HD or Indian looks like a much better buy to me even if bought used. They dealer had 2018 Indian Roadmasters for 3 grand more than the Venture so to me, the Indian looks like a better option. But then again, I am a traditionalist when it comes to motorcycles.

Got back on my 08 RSV with 15K on the clock and felt even better about riding it. 28K vs a bought and paid for 08 RSV that rides as nice or better than anything else I have ever ridden. I think I will keep my current ride for the foreseable future.

Edited by grubsie

I made it easy to check the air pressure on the rear of my RSV by having the tire guys install a right angle valve stem. Only I had them put it so it was pointing to the right. Right at the brake rotor. Yea it's a pain to use a long gauge on it with the rotor there, but I'm happy cause I can see the darn thing! I still have to lay down to check/add air, but at least I can see where the valve stem is/isn't by just walking away.

I made it easy to check the air pressure on the rear of my RSV by having the tire guys install a right angle valve stem. Only I had them put it so it was pointing to the right. Right at the brake rotor. Yea it's a pain to use a long gauge on it with the rotor there, but I'm happy cause I can see the darn thing! I still have to lay down to check/add air, but at least I can see where the valve stem is/isn't by just walking away.

My new to me RSV has an angled valve stem on the rear tire and I was able to check the pressure with a minimum of difficulty. Another vote for the angled valve stem.

I have the angle valve stems on both wheels.

I'd put a set on Tweeksis too but being a 1st Gen, she'd have em straightened right back out after a couple times of wickin her up anyway so it would be a pointless manueuver IMHO :crackup::crackup::stickpoke::rotfl::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

I'd put a set on Tweeksis too but being a 1st Gen, she'd have em straightened right back out after a couple times of wickin her up anyway so it would be a pointless manueuver IMHO

I don't think so Scott. :no-no-no: If it was that fast it would bent the straight ones over and you would not have to change them. :rotf: :rotfl:

Yep, the centrifugal force would bend them, not straighten if the wheels spun that fast. These old Ventures are one heck of a buy for someone who likes to work on them themselves, fast, comfortable, reliable after you get it up to snuff. And they strike terror in the hearts of all Harley riders! Ha!

I use a dial tire gauge with a screw on hose so it does not need a right angle valve stem to make it easy to attach. Checking the pressure is as easy as rolling the bike in the appropriate direction to get the valve on the bottom of the wheel. Of course it is still necessary to lay down to do the rear.