Bad news from the local mechanic. He said that the rear shock is gone and it is dangerous to ride. Good man, I think, cause he said it would be expensive if I bought it direct from Yamaha and suggested somewhere like ebay.

So, I am looking for comments, advice and probably somewhere to buy a rear shock. Is it a bad idea to buy a used shock? My 89 only has 33K miles. Maybe its not the miles but the age.

Iowa Guy

Tim Lantz

:confused24:

Bad news from the local mechanic. He said that the rear shock is gone and it is dangerous to ride. Good man, I think, cause he said it would be expensive if I bought it direct from Yamaha and suggested somewhere like ebay.

So, I am looking for comments, advice and probably somewhere to buy a rear shock. Is it a bad idea to buy a used shock? My 89 only has 33K miles. Maybe its not the miles but the age.

Iowa Guy

Tim Lantz

:confused24:

What is gone on the shock?? Progressive suspension makes a replacement spring for the Royales.

Here is a link for a ebay dealer, that I'm pleased with, I have had multiple dealings with him.

http://stores.ebay.com/Marys-Motorcycle-Parts-and-More_YAMAHA-VENTURE-ROYALE_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I've seen used ones go for $75 or so. Could last a week, could last years, hard to say. I decided not to take the chance and bought the Progressive unit for about $350, partially because I thought the stock spring was not strong enough for 2-up. It's been good, should be for that money!

Jeremy

I've seen used ones go for $75 or so. Could last a week, could last years, hard to say. I decided not to take the chance and bought the Progressive unit for about $350, partially because I thought the stock spring was not strong enough for 2-up. It's been good, should be for that money!

Jeremy

How do you like it? and can you get rid of the class system if you have progressive fronts?

How do you like it? and can you get rid of the class system if you have progressive fronts?

I was told by my local mechanic not to pressurize the front shocks because they had progressive replacements and it makes them too stiff. I am wondering like you if the rear had a progressive in it too would it be enough for two-up and would I even need the class system.

Iowa Guy:confused24:

Short answer: yes and yes. I like it and the CLASS is not necessary.

I did static sag measurements with just a rider and with rider & passenger. I was shooting for static sag of 30-40% per general recommendations for a streetbike. With rider and passenger and MAX air pressure, I was using up about 63% of the rear wheel travel just sitting there, and front wasn't too good either (all stock).

With Progressive fork springs, the front sag has been easy to get in that range. I use slightly less preload spacing than they recommend and use just a smidge of air pressure in the front shocks - just my preference at this point.

The rear replacement shock does not use air at all! No connection for it. I kinda like the air feature, so it bummed me out a little. I kept my CLASS (some would debate whether I ever had any to begin with) and fitted an air hose in the RH saddlebag for tire emergencies (doesn't work great, but it does work). The shock has a screw-ring-type preload adjustment and a damping adjustment. Damping adjustment is eaily accessed on the bottom of the shock, but you have to lay on the ground. Preload is darn near impossible to adjust on the bike (but it can be done). Not something you want to do much. You get it set up and then leave it alone, and I admit I don't miss the adjustability at all. I ended up with the preload set at max, and get 21% sag single and 49% sag 2-up which is alot better. I had hoped to get less sag 2-up, but you gotta figure the passenger's weight is smack dab over the rear wheel. Furthermore, the ride is nice, single or double, and I don't think I've bottomed out once since installing the shock, so the proof is in the pudding (whatever that means).

Hope that helps!

Jeremy